PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice!

sammyp03
2015-03-01, 07:29 PM
I am currently in a Campaign playing as a fallen angel for story purposes. I am a 5th level favored soul and have just leveled up. I am looking for a prestige classes that will fit in line with my character direction and provide some usefulNess to the party.

I'm not really trying to min max or power game just continue in the awesome story but don't want to become completely useless.

I understand cleric would have been the more powerful choice, but it doesn't really fit in my character direction. Any advice would be appreciated.

holywhippet
2015-03-01, 08:49 PM
What exactly is your character direction? Are you trying to redeem yourself? Are you out for revenge or justice? Are you seeking wealth and/or power?

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-01, 09:32 PM
It's very hard for Favored Souls to qualify for divine prestige classes because they lack a lot of the prerequisite tools: specifically Turn Undead and Knowledge (religion).

Even if you ignore those requirements, some PrC abilities use turn undead to fuel class features, so those would have to be retooled as well. And still more PrCs give domains, which the favored soul probably wasn't intended to get.

There's a pretty obnoxious trick I read a while back for Favored Souls that went like this:

1. A very loose interpretation of the "you are treated as a 1st level wizard" line of the Magical Training feat (Player's Guide to Faerun) allows you to qualify for the Precocious Apprentice Feat. This let's you grab a 2nd level arcane spell as a known spell.
2. Using Sanctum Spell shenanigans to increase the spell level, you can qualify for the Exalted Arcanist PrC (Book of Exalted Deeds). Now since you are treated as an arcane spellcaster, you can retrain Precocious Apprentice to something like Combat Casting or Enlarge Spell.
3. Thanks to that, you now qualify for War Weaver (Heroes of Battle), which actually has pretty neat effects for a Favored Soul, like being able to tether the entire party together with Eldritch Tapestry, causing a buff spell you cast to affect them all as though they were a single creature. You advance your spellcasting through this class, which is now considered arcane thanks to Exalted Arcanist.

Is all of this RAW legal? Technically yes, but yeesh...

More importantly, is it overpowered?

That depends on the overall optimization level of your group. If the group doesn't have much trouble building characters to fight above their CR, not really.
Even in a low-op group War Weaver isn't that overpowered, since all you are is a force multiplier that makes the group better at what they are already doing.

If that PrC at all appeals to you, a much easier approach would be to say to your DM something like, "Hey, War Weaver seems pretty cool. Can we change the requirements and advancement to divine spells so I can use it with this character?"

sammyp03
2015-03-01, 10:45 PM
What exactly is your character direction? Are you trying to redeem yourself? Are you out for revenge or justice? Are you seeking wealth and/or power?

My character direction is to bring divine retribution. In our campaign, the party is in tune to fundamental forces that oppose each other and could possibly end the known multi verse. My character and another are touched by the LOGOS the watermark of the gods, the seal of all creation. Another rwo characters are driven by the IRA. The counter part to the LOGOS.

Keld Denar
2015-03-01, 11:40 PM
You don't need a PrC. Favored Soul actually gets class features. Not a ton, but some of them are decent. If you aren't worried about being super high powered, just continue on the course. You get most of your customization through your spell selection, rather than from class features anyway, so as long as you are getting spells, you are fine.

Dysart
2015-03-02, 12:23 AM
I am currently in a Campaign playing as a fallen angel for story purposes. I am a 5th level favored soul and have just leveled up. I am looking for a prestige classes that will fit in line with my character direction and provide some usefulNess to the party.

I'm not really trying to min max or power game just continue in the awesome story but don't want to become completely useless.

I understand cleric would have been the more powerful choice, but it doesn't really fit in my character direction. Any advice would be appreciated.

I disagree about Favoured Soul being weaker than Cleric, yeah Cleric can access more spells but the Soul casts them more often.

As for Prestige it's difficult to say, do you need to keep full spell casting levels?

Blackguard is probably the most thematic. Though you could speak to your GM about modifying Dragon Disciple to be more like Fallen Angel genesis or something similar that gets you closer to your Fallen Angel roots.

sammyp03
2015-03-02, 12:31 AM
I disagree about Favoured Soul being weaker than Cleric, yeah Cleric can access more spells but the Soul casts them more often.

As for Prestige it's difficult to say, do you need to keep full spell casting levels?

Blackguard is probably the most thematic. Though you could speak to your GM about modifying Dragon Disciple to be more like Fallen Angel genesis or something similar that gets you closer to your Fallen Angel roots.

My character isn't evil. Maybe fallen angel was a bad choice of words. He's more sent to bring retribution

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-02, 01:35 AM

The fact that Favored Soul's get their spells known from Charisma, but their save DC's are determined by Wisdom makes them absolutely weaker than cleric, if for no other reason then they require two good stats to do the same thing a cleric does with one good stat.

atemu1234
2015-03-02, 07:20 AM

It's definitely weaker, but it can be fun to play regardless.

Deox
2015-03-02, 08:14 AM
Straight Favored Soul can be just fine in the right group.

If it's available, I'd recommend looking into Expedition to Castle Ravenloft's Knight of the Raven.

It grants a ton of extra goodies along with 9/10 casting progression with little entry requirements.

sammyp03
2015-03-02, 11:33 AM
Straight Favored Soul can be just fine in the right group.

If it's available, I'd recommend looking into Expedition to Castle Ravenloft's Knight of the Raven.

It grants a ton of extra goodies along with 9/10 casting progression with little entry requirements.

Ravenloft is banned as are most specific settings. Ebberon etc.