PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Guerrilla Shaman NWPs advice?

Ammutseba
2015-03-01, 08:59 PM
At the end of the week, I'll be joining a group at a nearby gaming den. That's when I'll be rolling up the character, but I want to have a plan before I get there, so I won't take a whole lot of time putting everything together. I'll be playing a human priest, level 3, customized using the Spells and Powers book. The group is casual; they're there to laugh, have fun and unwind. The group is large: already 8 players before me. They have a wide spread of classes and roles, and there's a lot of job sharing. Their spotlight, frontlines, doorbreakers, healers, blasters and support are already covered. They want me there for the camaraderie and the new perspective.

I pitched a character idea to them last night, asked which resources I can use, and have been given a general green light. I'll be playing a shaman, a spiritual adviser cast out from his people. He's guided by the spirits of air and land that inhabit his friends -- Megha, a sheep, and Pathara, a goat. He has a hunting dog named Baja.

Using the options in the book, I've taken minor sphere access to All, Combat, Elemental, Healing, Plant, Protection and Weather. I've applied Extended Spell Duration to all of his spheres, and snagged Identify Plants and Animals, and Spirit Powers (Nature). I also took Combat Bonus, the Backstab and Move Silently Thief abilities, Weapon Selection (shaman selection), and Weapon Specialization. To make up for the combined cost of these qualities, I gave him some heavy spellcasting restrictions. One, he can't cast spells during daytime hours. Two, he must be wearing a special mask to cast spells. Three, he'll never cast secretly, because "spirits" surround him and chatter amongst themselves whenever he begins casting.

The character is specializing in dart throwing.

Now I'm all through that, I'm having a look at this game's jaw-droppingly long "nonweapon proficiency" list. So here's my question: are there any must-have NWPs? Things so good they're like Defensive Strategist in PF. If not, are there any NWPs I should be personally interested in taking?

SiuiS
2015-03-02, 02:45 AM
Group them broadly. I remember stuff like diplomacy being completely blown out of the water by a later NWP that did the same thing but with more. Or the Amour NWP, which lets you non sexually seduce someone over a month and basically mind control them.

If you can get it, Iaijutsu focus is "you draw a weapon, attack, and [on a successful proficiency check] you beat their initiative and they are surprised". No reaction adjustment to AC may not mean much all the time, but it does mean no shield and no resistance-y stuff.