PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Pyrurge: New Fire-based Caster (PEACH)

Wartex1
2015-03-01, 09:30 PM
Here's a link to the google doc for evaluation: Pyrurge (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mVthkD2CPgv_xN-NJAfKISOANCxybGwOCiNEpVG0GNM/edit?usp=sharing)

Leuku
2015-03-02, 03:22 AM
Good evening. First off, thanks for taking the effort to make this homebrew. If I don't say anything about a feature, it means I like it/don't have a problem with it.

Damage focused Fullcaster with 1d8 Hit die, huh? Hmm, not necessarily a problem; depends on what the rest of the class consists of.

Saving Throws: All classes have 1 weak save and 1 strong save. Weak saves: Str, Int, Cha. Strong saves: Con, Dex, Wis.

Make sure this class gets 1 strong, 1 weak, no matter what type of Pyurge one chooses.

Potent Fire
Once you reach 3rd level, you add your spellcasting modifier to any damage roll you make that deals fire damage.

I don't like how this comes online at 3rd level. An evocation wizard has to wait until 10th level until he can add his mod to evocation spells.

Incombustible
Starting at 7th level, you gain immunity to all forms of fire damage.

7th level is too soon for immunity to a damage type, especially one of the most common damage types in the game. Resistance at 7th level, immunity at 13th or 14th.

Flame Control sounds like something that would come online sooner, probably between 6th and 10th.

Burn Through
By 13th level, your flames have reached such an intensity that they sear through fire resistance, ignoring it completely.

Reword to: You ignore fire resistance and treat immunity to fire as if it were resistance.

Inferno Within
Having mastered the art of Pyrurgy at 20th level, even if you have run out of spell slots, you can still cast, but at a cost. Instead of expending a spell slot when you cast, you can choose to take 1d6 necrotic damage per level of the spell that you are casting.

Consider the Evocation Wizard's 14th level Overchannel. Overchannel deals 2d12 necrotic damage per spell level after the first spell cast in a day this way to maximize damage. So a wizard that casts his second overchannel in a day with a 3rd level spell would suffer 6d12 necrotic damage for doing so. If the wizard attempted this a third time, the damage would equal 9d12.

A 20th level Pyurgist could cast a 3rd level spell four times before the damage he received matched the Evocation Wizard's 6d12 damage. He could cast a 3rd level spell six more times before the damage received matched the Evocation wizard's third use of Overchannel.

And let's not forget that the Pyurgist has a larger hit die than the wizard.

Either dramatically increase the damage taken or find something else. Giving a caster what essentially amounts to "Free" slotted spell casting breaks the game.

Wartex1
2015-03-02, 06:51 AM
It seems that you don't realize that the Pyurge is very specialized, unlike the wizard, and thus doesn't get spells like Wish or Mass Suggestion. He doesn't get any utility spells outside of the first few spell levels, so he's not as versatile. Plus, immunity to your one thing makes a lot of sense at earlier levels, and burning through immunity doesn't make much sense in a lot of cases (i.e. burning through a fire elemental's fire immunity). I can add a level limit usage to the last feature though. Also, unlike Overchannel, it's a capstone feature. The Wizard gets infinite 2nd-level and free 3rd-level spells by that point.

dragonjek
2015-03-02, 11:04 AM
I don't know much about 5e so I can't say anything on the balance, but I really like the name. It's always -mancy or -mancer, so seeing a more suitable suffix is nice.

Waffleworshiper
2015-11-05, 01:14 PM
The only thing I'd like to say is that there should be something new at each level, so I'd recommend pushing Burn Through back to 14th level, since 13th level already has the proficiency bonus increase and a new spell level available, and 14th level has nothing at all. I'd also recommend pushing the final Path of Fire feature back to 18th level for the same reason. But other than that I'd say that this is well put together.

AgentAAA
2016-08-28, 02:07 AM
I'm actually testing this class out in a game of sorts right now. The only thing I'm confused on so far is the "hurl through hell" spell I'm supposed to be able to ue as a 1st level spell via my archetype (Took destruction). I cannot find it under the list of official spells, or for 5e in general.

Lalliman
2016-08-28, 02:28 AM
Hurl Through Hell is the 14th-level Fiendlock feature. Not that that explains why it's listed as a 1st-level spell.

Rerem115
2016-08-28, 11:25 AM
One thing I'd be wary about is the impressive tankiness of this class; d8 hit die, light armor and shield push your AC to 17 at level 1, and have hit points equivalent to the average Rogue, all while being a full caster.

In addition, the Creative path (Int based) synergizes way too well with the 3rd level and extra attack. Here's how it would work:

Level 10, 20 dex. Then choose one rapier and a shield. Assist in their forging for 2 +1 pieces of gear. Cast elemental weapon on the rapier. Now your attacks deal 1d8+Dex+1d3+Int+1d4+Int+2, for a grand total of 23 damage per attack, 46 damage per round, all while having an AC of 20. As a full caster. If you want, you can swap that shield for another rapier, trading 3 AC for another 11 damage per round. (If the studs in studded leather let it count as metal, AC 21). At 17th level, this scales to 1d8+Dex+1d3+Int+1d4+Int+2d6+Int+3, for a grand total of 41 per attack, up to 123 per round if someone casts haste, all with an AC of 22 (approximately 2.5 times the damage of a S&B fighter with the same spells cast on him). Again, as a full caster. You can't let a class add their spellcasting mod to fire damage, and then give them 3 separate sources of fire damage, letting them add 15 damage to each attack.

For extra, extra cheese, you can forego the shield and dip Bladesinger. This bumps your damage up by another 12 from dual wielding, and your AC up to 24 from the Bladesong.

Also on the topic of the Creative path, free +1 weapons and gear (scaling up to one +3 flametongue) is game-breaking, especially if the campaign isn't balanced around magical gear in the first place.

JNAProductions
2016-08-28, 11:58 AM
Yeah, this is a pretty OP class. I'd suggest going back to the drawing board entirely.

Wartex1
2016-08-29, 02:38 PM
Yeah, this is a pretty OP class. I'd suggest going back to the drawing board entirely.

This was really old and I have no idea why this appeared again.

It's poorly made and would best be forgotten and completely abandoned.

Sicarius Victis
2016-09-06, 06:23 PM
It appeared again when someone posted about testing it out in a game. TBH, it's not entirely bad. The execution wasn't very good, but the idea was alright. With some changes, it could even be half-decent.

Haarkla
2016-09-07, 08:19 PM
I like it, but it seems a bit overpowered. I would reduce the hit dice to a D6.

The discription of the wildfire ability seems a bit unclear to me.

I would also reword the part in the spell discriptions about casting spells using higher level spell slots.