PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Creatures: Servants of Ciarah (3.5, PEACH)

WaylanderX
2015-03-02, 07:54 AM
Hello guys,

In a current campain, me and my fellow players needed to come up with a custom Diety. It needed to be an anti-undead one, so we went for a semi-stereotypical good-aligned godess. Also, as 4 of the 5 players in the party are Arcane or Divine gishes (Duskblade, Cleric-Crusader, Wizard-Warblade and a Battle-sorcerer), we putted in quite some magic fluff.

I am thinking of taking a heavily nerfed version of the Leadership feat, one that gives me a servant of Ciarah as a sort of Cohort. I want give it more strenght than a Wild Cohort, but not gamebreakingly so. As such, I was thinking of a CR 3 creature as a base.

In addition, at level 9, I'm trying to convince my DM to let me fuse this creature and my familiar together into one more powerfull creature. Note that I already have the Improved Familiar feat and thus I will be sacrificing something with the strenght of an imp at higher levels.

Any PEACHes will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Way

Any new spells mentioned can be found in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399764-New-Spells-and-Corresponding-Custom-Diety-For-Ciarah!-(3-5-Magic-PEACH)).

The feats in question:

Ciarah's Guardian

Prerequisites: Character level 6, must be fanatically loyal to Ciarah, must have access to divine or arcane spellcasting
Benefit: You are granted the privelage of being accompanied by a Ciaryn. The Ciaryn serve you loyally as long as you treat it fairly, much like a cohort.
Special: For every two character levels above level 6 you possess, the Ciaryn advances 1 HD, gaining all the benefits accociated with that HD increase.

Messenger of Dawn

Prerequisites: Character level 9, must be fanatically loyal to Ciarah, Ciarah's Guardian, Improved Familiar.
Benefit: Your familiar and your Ciaryn fuse together, creating a Mochtosgair. The Mochtosgair has 75% of the master's HP, instead of 50%. Otherwise, it functions as an improved familiar, using the base statistics block below.
Special: The Mochtosgair gains a bonus on charisma equal to 25% of the Intelligence score otherwise gained by a familiar in the familiar table.

Ciaryn

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/09/45/6b/09456b53dcde024fc8934a58201168c2.jpg

All credit goes to the original artist

Size/Type: Tiny Outsider (Good)
Hit Dice: 3d8+3
Initiative: 3
Speed: 20 ft., fly 30 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +3 dex, +2 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-5
Attack: Dawn ray +9 (1d6 or Protection)
Full Attack: Dawn ray +9 (1d6 or Protection)
Space/Reach: 2.5 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, Dawn ray, Change Shape
Special Qualities: Fire resistance 10, Immunity to Electricity, Protection against Evil, Darkvision 60 ft..
Saves: Fort +4 , Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +6, Diplomacy +9, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Hide +13, Move Silently +7, Spellcraft +5, Use Magic Device +6
Feats: Flyby Attack, Weapon Focus (Dawn Ray)
Environment: Near priests of Ciarah, Ciarah home plane
Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: No coins; standard items
Alignment: Always good (any)
Advancement: 4-5 (Tiny), 6-10 (Small)
Level Adjustment: N.A.

Before you flies a tiny female figure, beautifull in shape, aloft on wings that appear to be made of pure arcane energy. A pair of fox tails can be seen, together with two ears also resembling those of a fox.

Combat
A Ciaryn avoids combat entirely if it is possible, but will not shy away from it if a worshipper of Ciarah is attacked. If the one under it's protection is in danger, these little fey-like creature will help out. They typically shun physical combat, relying on ranged support instead.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will: Light, Guidance, Dawn. 3/day: Aid 1/day: Ciarah Light, Dancing Lights, Tongues. Caster level equals its HD. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Dawn Ray (Su)
A Ciaryn's Dawn Ray have a range of 50 feet. This attack overcomes damage reduction of any type.

Change Shape (Su)
A Ciaryn can assume the form of a Tiny fox as a standard action. It can use its Dawn Ray ability while in this form, but not its spell-like abilities.

Protection (Su)
A Cairyn can opt to hit an ally with Dawn Ray, granting them the effect of it's Protection again Evil spell for 1 round. When used against a willing target, it needs to hit 10 AC to trigger this effect. The Ciaryn loses her own Protection against Evil effect when giving somebody else the effect of this ability.

The stats of a Lantern Archon for comparison purposes:

Lantern Archon

Size/Type: Small Outsider (Good)
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 60 ft. Perfect
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Size, +4 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-8
Attack: Light ray +2 ranged touch (1d6)
Full Attack: 2 Light ray +2 ranged touch (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Aura of menace, damage reduction 10/evil and magic, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and petrification, magic circle against evil, teleport, tongues
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 11, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration +4, Diplomacy +4, Knowledge (the planes) +2, Listen +4, Sense Motive +4, Spot +4
Feats: Improved Initiative
Environment: Lawful good aligned planes
Organization: Solitary, pair or squad (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always lawful good
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Small)

COMBAT

A lantern archon has little reason to get within melee range. It usually hovers just close enough to bring the enemy within its aura of menace, then blasts away with its light rays. Lantern archons prefer to concentrate on a single opponent, seeking to reduce enemy numbers quickly.
Aura of Menace (Su): Will DC 12 negates.
Light Ray (Ex): A lantern archon’s light rays have a range of 30 feet. This attack overcomes damage reduction of any type.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—'aid detect evil, continual flame. Caster level 3rd.

Mochtosgair

Serene Form:

http://pre06.deviantart.net/658a/th/pre/i/2013/140/1/3/quetzalcoatl_by_graydrone-d65wsd3.jpg

By Graydrone

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Good)
Hit Dice: 7d8+14 (46 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft., 40 ft. fly (Good)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+7
Attack: Tailslam +7 (1d6) OR Dawn Ray +9 (2d6)
Full Attack: Tailslam +7 (1d6) OR 2 Dawn Rays +9 (2d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Mochtosgair Gaze, Spell-like Abilities.
Special Qualities: Alternate Shape, Fire resistance 10, Immunity to Electricity, Circle against Evil, Darkvision 60 ft., Grace of Light, Fasthealing 1, Telepathy 100 ft..
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +11
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +12, Diplomacy +10, Knowledge (the planes) +8, Knowledge (Arcana) +12, Knowledge (Religion) +12, Listen +7, Sense Motive +7, Spot +7, Spellcraft +10,
Feats: Ability Focus (Mochtosgair Gaze), Weapon Focus (Rays), Mindsight.
Organization: Solitary with master
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure:
Alignment: Always good (any, same as master)
Advancement:

Combat Form:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e8/91/de/e891de54421d5e68db57fdda941106dd.jpg

All credit goes to the original artist

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Good)
Hit Dice: 7d8+14 (46 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft., 60 ft. fly (Good)
Armor Class: 20 (+3 Dex, +8 natural, -1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+7
Attack: Bite +11 (2d6+6)
Full Attack: Bite +9 (2d6+6) and Tailslam +9 (2d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Curling Rend
Special Qualities: Alternate Shape, Fire resistance 10, Immunity to Electricity, Circle against Evil, Darkvision 60 ft., Grace of Light, Fasthealing 1, Telepathy 100 ft..
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +12, Will +11
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +12, Diplomacy +6, Knowledge (the planes) +8, Knowledge (Arcana) +12, Knowledge (Religion) +12, Listen +5, Sense Motive +5, Spot +5, Spellcraft +10,
Feats: Ability Focus (Mochtosgair Gaze), Weapon Focus (Rays), Mindsight, Multi Attack (B), Improved Natural Attack (Tail Slam) (B).
Organization: Solitary with master or Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure:
Alignment: Always good (any, same as master)
Advancement:

Combat

These first of these creatures were born from the union of the familiar of a sorcerer and a divine shard of the Goddess Ciarah herself. From this first Mochtosgair, the rest were called into being by Ciarah to act as some of her messengers and enforcers. Able to shift into two forms, these serpentine beings are a powerful foe, able to hold their own in both a melee and magical combat.

A Mochtosgair in Serene form has access to her Gaze attack and spell-like abilities, but not Curling Rend. A Mochtosgair in Combat form has access to Curling Rend, but not her Gaze attack and spell-like abilities.

Serene form Abilities:

Spell-Like Abilities
At will: Light, Guidance, Dawn, Prestidigitation, Disrupt Undead. Blockade
3/day: Aid, Cure Moderate Wounds (on ally cast only), Ciarah Light
1/day: Tongues.
Caster level equals HD. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Dawn Ray (Su)
A Mochtosgair's Dawn Ray have a range of 80 feet. This attack overcomes damage reduction of any type.

Mochtosgair Gaze (Su)
As a swift action, a Mochtosgair can gaze upon a creature within 60 ft., enlighting it's soul. If the target of this ability is evil, it needs to succeeds on a DC 18 (10+half HD+Mochtosgair's Charisma bonus) saving throw or lose the ability to cast spells and spell-like abilities for 1 round. If the target doesn't If the target doesn't cast spells or doesn't have spell-like abilities, it takes 2d6 damage instead on a failed save.
If the target of this ability is good aligned, the Mochtosgair can instead opt to grant a +3 on spell damage or healing for 1 round instead.
Only 1 creature can be affected by this ability each round.

Combat Form Abilities:

Curling Rend (Ex)
if a Mochtosgair in Combat Form hits with both it's bite and tailslap in the same round, it deals an extra 2d6+4 points of damage automatically.

General Abilities:

Grace of Light (Ex)
A Mochtosgair gains a bonus on all saving throws equal to her Charisma.

Change Shape (Su)
A Mochtosgair can change from her Serene form to her Combat form and vice versa as a swift action. Both forms change her physical stats and available options. In Combat form, the Mochtosgair cannot use her spell-like abilities and Gaze attack. In Serene form, her physical combat capabilities are greatly reduced and she cannot use Curling Rend.

Magic Circle against Evil (Su):
A magic circle against evil effect always surrounds an Mochtosgair (caster level equals the Mochtosgair’s Hit Dice). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in a Mochtosgair’s statistics block.)

Debihuman
2015-03-17, 08:50 PM
It looks like the the dawn ray attack should be a ranged touched attack. What sort of damage is the 1d6?

Tiny creatures should not have space/reach of 5 ft/5 ft, it should be 2½ ft./0 ft.

Environment for outsiders usually notes the name of Plane they are from or generically Any Good-Aligned Plane.

Generally, creatures gain a hit die when they double their size. Advancement for a 3 HD creature would be 4-6 HD (Small) 7-9 HD (Medium), or 4-5 (Tiny) 6-10 (Small).

What is the Ciarah Light spell? If it is homebrew, then provide a link or just copy it for completeness.

RoyVG
2015-03-18, 09:44 AM
Fellow player in this campaign so I know the backstory a bit more around these creatures, I'll give my opinion on some of the feedback.

It looks like the the dawn ray attack should be a ranged touched attack. What sort of damage is the 1d6?

Likely Postive energy damage, but because it ignores damage reduction I assume some kind of non-specified (so no bludgeoning, piercing or slashing) weapon damage?

Tiny creatures should not have space/reach of 5 ft/5 ft, it should be 2½ ft./0 ft.

I agree on that one.

What is the Ciarah Light spell? If it is homebrew, then provide a link or just copy it for completeness.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399764-New-Spells-and-Corresponding-Custom-Diety-For-Ciarah!-(3-5-Magic-PEACH)) is the Ciarah's Light spell.

WaylanderX
2015-03-21, 11:27 AM

Environment for outsiders usually notes the name of Plane they are from or generically Any Good-Aligned Plane.

Generally, creatures gain a hit die when they double their size. Advancement for a 3 HD creature would be 4-6 HD (Small) 7-9 HD (Medium), or 4-5 (Tiny) 6-10 (Small).

The ranged touch attack is somewhat copied from the Lantern Archon, which does not specify a energy type. Nevertheless, like Roy said, positive would suit it quite well.

Good call on the space-reach.

I assume you mean that creatures gain a size when they double their hitdie. Fixed.

Ciarah's Light plus other spells in that catagory are already linked to in the post itself, above the creature.

Thanks for the PEACH!

WaylanderX
2015-04-08, 09:57 AM
Update 08-04:

- Mochtosgair added!
- Minor balance changes to the Ciaryn
- Started on the refinement of the Messenger of Dawn feat.