PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with a homebrew NPC

Airon
2015-03-02, 10:41 AM
Hello.
My PCs are about to enter a big city where they’ll stay more or less for the next 6-8 sessions.
A big element of this city is a group of Halfling knights, and I expect the PCs to have more than one fight with them.
These halfling are an elite corps, way above the city guard. They should be roughly like the worst incarnations of the eponymous Musketeers, rebellious rascals filled with bravado, and a bit of racist bullies towards the bigger races.

This is the first time I try to make a homebrew NPC for D&D 5th, so I’d like some thoughts and suggestions.

DESIGN GOALS:
The PCs are 6th level.
- One a mounted Halfling knight should be an easy (but not trivial) encounter for one 6th level PC.
- They should get tougher in bigger groups, so a group of 4 mounted knights should be a hard encounter for 4 6th level PCs
- they should be less dangerous when not mounted

This is what I came up with: any comment or suggestion is welcome

Velvet coat rider
Small humanoid (halfling)
======================
AC 16 (studded leather)
HP 34 (6d6+12)
Speed 25 ft.
======================
Str 13 (+1) Dex 18 (+4) Con 15 (+2) Int 11 (0) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 12 (+1)
======================
Saves Cha +3
Skills Intimidation +3, Handle animal +3, Athletics +3
Senses passive perception 11
Languages Common
Challenge
======================

Brave & Lucky halfling. Advantage vs fear saves, reroll natural 1s

Mounted fighter. Advantage on attack rolls when mounted on a mastiff.

Humiliating attack. Once per turn, the Rider can deal an extra 1d4 damage when he hits with a melee weapon attack, and force a DC 12 Will save. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than the Rider until the end of his next turn.

=======ACTIONS=======

Multiattack. The Rider makes 2 scimitar attacks.

Scimitar. Melee weapon attack. +6 to hit, range 5 ft, 1 target. Hit: 1d6+4 slashing

Purebred Borneran Mastiff
Medium beast
======================
AC 13 (leather barding)
HP 21 (3d8+6)
Speed 40 ft.
======================
Str 15 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Con 14 (+2) Int 3 (-4) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 7 (-2)
======================
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive perception 13
Languages
Challenge
======================
Keen senses. Advantage on Percpetion based on heqaring or smell.

Pack tactics. The mastiff has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the mastiff's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Mount. When used as a mount, can only Dash, Dodge or Disengage

=======ACTIONS=======

Bite. Melee weapon attack. +4 to hit, range 5 ft, 1 target. Hit: 1d6+2 piercing. I f the target is a creature, it must succeed a DC 12 Str save or fall prone

Wolfsraine
2015-03-02, 11:54 AM
Hello.
My PCs are about to enter a big city where they’ll stay more or less for the next 6-8 sessions.
A big element of this city is a group of Halfling knights, and I expect the PCs to have more than one fight with them.
These halfling are an elite corps, way above the city guard. They should be roughly like the worst incarnations of the eponymous Musketeers, rebellious rascals filled with bravado, and a bit of racist bullies towards the bigger races.

This is the first time I try to make a homebrew NPC for D&D 5th, so I’d like some thoughts and suggestions.

DESIGN GOALS:
The PCs are 6th level.
- One a mounted Halfling knight should be an easy (but not trivial) encounter for one 6th level PC.
- They should get tougher in bigger groups, so a group of 4 mounted knights should be a hard encounter for 4 6th level PCs
- they should be less dangerous when not mounted

This is what I came up with: any comment or suggestion is welcome

Velvet coat rider
Small humanoid (halfling)
======================
AC 16 (studded leather)
HP 34 (6d6+12)
Speed 25 ft.
======================
Str 13 (+1) Dex 18 (+4) Con 15 (+2) Int 11 (0) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 12 (+1)
======================
Saves Cha +3
Skills Intimidation +3, Handle animal +3, Athletics +3
Senses passive perception 11
Languages Common
Challenge
======================

Brave & Lucky halfling. Advantage vs fear saves, reroll natural 1s

Mounted fighter. Advantage on attack rolls when mounted on a mastiff.

Humiliating attack. Once per turn, the Rider can deal an extra 1d4 damage when he hits with a melee weapon attack, and force a DC 12 Will save. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than the Rider until the end of his next turn.

=======ACTIONS=======

Multiattack. The Rider makes 2 scimitar attacks.

Scimitar. Melee weapon attack. +6 to hit, range 5 ft, 1 target. Hit: 1d6+4 slashing

Purebred Borneran Mastiff
Medium beast
======================
AC 13 (leather barding)
HP 21 (3d8+6)
Speed 40 ft.
======================
Str 15 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Con 14 (+2) Int 3 (-4) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 7 (-2)
======================
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive perception 13
Languages
Challenge
======================
Keen senses. Advantage on Percpetion based on heqaring or smell.

Pack tactics. The mastiff has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the mastiff's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Mount. When used as a mount, can only Dash, Dodge or Disengage

=======ACTIONS=======

Bite. Melee weapon attack. +4 to hit, range 5 ft, 1 target. Hit: 1d6+2 piercing. I f the target is a creature, it must succeed a DC 12 Str save or fall prone

Seems cool. Just seems a bit weak if you want them to be a challenge for a 6th level party. My ranger5/rogue1, can basically kill these guys in one turn of combat. With a +10 to hit, +5 if we use sharpshooter, and doing 1d8 + 1d6 (sneak attack) + 1d6 (hunters mark) +5 on the first attack and 1d8 + 1d8 (colossus slayer) +1d6 (hunters mark) +5 seems like they are easy kills. Even more so if I can find a way to get advantage and use sharpshooter.

FadeAssassin
2015-03-02, 12:20 PM
According to the Monster Creation rules in the DMG (p 274) you're super elite knights are like CR 1/2. I suggest looking at that section of the DMG if you have one, if not, I could fix it, but irl stuff would make it take a little while.

For a CR 6 Creature it should have somewhere around 146 HP and Deal around 40 damage per round with it's attacks. That's just a start, but I really suggest looking at that guide greatly.

EDIT: Adding/changing info

Strill
2015-03-02, 12:25 PM
If you want them to be stronger in groups, then why not give them an ability that triggers when they have an ally nearby?

Airon
2015-03-02, 03:43 PM
According to the Monster Creation rules in the DMG (p 274) you're super elite knights are like CR 1/2. I suggest looking at that section of the DMG if you have one, if not, I could fix it, but irl stuff would make it take a little while.

For a CR 6 Creature it should have somewhere around 146 HP and Deal around 40 damage per round with it's attacks. That's just a start, but I really suggest looking at that guide greatly.

EDIT: Adding/changing info

I did read the guide: they should not be a CR 6 creature. A CR 6 creature is, alone, a challenge for 6th-level party. These guys should be a challenge in a similarly-numbered group (4 vs 4, 5 vs 5, etc...).

A medium challenge for four 6th level characters should be worth 2400 xp.
A CR 6 creature is 2300.
If I want 4 creatures to be a challenge, I need to take 2400xp, divide by two for the group multiplier, divide by 4 for the number of creatures. I get 300 xp, somewhere between CR 1 and 2.

So according to the table they have very low hp (34 vs 71-100), high AC (16 vs 13), high atk bonus (+6 vs +3) and comparable damage (11-24 vs 9-20). That's before factoring in the mastiffs.

If you want them to be stronger in groups, then why not give them an ability that triggers when they have an ally nearby?

The mastiffs have Pack Tactics. I may give the riders a defensive ability triggered by proximity, to compensate for the low hp and strenghten the group emphasis.

Myzz
2015-03-02, 04:12 PM
my Halfling Knights ride Blink dogs...

Use Lances...

Dip 1 level of Rogue min (blink attacks count as sneak attacks)

Have shortbows to fire from saddle...

Otherwise everything you have loooks good to me =) lol