PDA

View Full Version : Best Multiclass Combo for Cleric

Strill
2015-03-02, 11:42 AM
The cleric kind of runs out of class features past level 9, and their spell list for Spell level 6+ is pretty lackluster. Are there any classes that have any real synergy?

Balor777
2015-03-02, 11:45 AM
Read sorcerrer on what you will do with Metamagics.

Gnaeus
2015-03-02, 11:52 AM
What kind of cleric is it? What does it do and what are its stats?

Cleric is a melee tank? Look at melee classes. Fighter for actions or paladin for smites and spell progression.
Knowledge devotion cleric with high int? Wizard
Took persuasion as a proficiency and got a high Cha? Sorcerer gives metamagic or 2-3 level warlock dip for blasting.
Trickery style skillmonkey? Bard, Rogue or both.

Strill
2015-03-02, 11:55 AM
Knowledge devotion cleric with high int? Wizard

I'm curious what synergies there are with Cleric and Wizard. You already have a wide spell list. What are some key Wizard spells that would benefit this character?

Gnaeus
2015-03-02, 03:52 PM
I'm curious what synergies there are with Cleric and Wizard. You already have a wide spell list. What are some key Wizard spells that would benefit this character?

I'm sorry, this seems obvious to me.
1. Full casting classes stack for purposes of spell progression. A cleric 9/wizard 11 has the same spell slots as cleric 20.

2. Many wizard subclass abilities apply to spells of their school (as opposed to WIZARD spells of their school.

3. You said the cleric spells for 6+ were lackluster. Thats debatable, but what isn't debatable is that wizards are good at different things from clerics, so if you dont like what the clerics do, maybe you will like what wizards do.

4. If you already have a high int, your wizard spells are likely to work well.

5. Some of the other character options (like Warcaster and Constitution save proficiency) that are good for caster clerics are also good for wizards.

There are lots of wizard spells that are beneficial. Short of reprinting the PHB, I would rather ask, beneficial to the character in doing what exactly? What is it that makes cleric 9+ weak in your opinion.

calebrus
2015-03-02, 04:05 PM
The cleric kind of runs out of class features past level 9, and their spell list for Spell level 6+ is pretty lackluster. Are there any classes that have any real synergy?

The obvious answer here is monk.
In most cases, doing an even (or close to it) split on classes in a multiclass build doesn't really work very well. In the case of a Cleric/Monk, it actually works fairly well.
The quintessential Sacred Fist is one that works pretty well here.
It may not progress any spellcasting, but you don't seem to care about that anyway. He keeps like two-thirds of his spell slots (only losing the highest ones, which basically turns him into an half caster like a ranger or pally) and gains a ton of combat prowess in exchange (kind of like the ranger or pally again).
You could even create a subclass/feat (or subclasses/feats) to further flesh it out, like giving him access to Ki via cleric levels, or granting the pally spell list, or things like that.

DireSickFish
2015-03-02, 04:08 PM
Pally could be a good multiclass option if you have the Wiz and are a cleric that gets an extra d8 on weapon attacks. The second attack will come in handy for consistent damage. Smiting with all those spell slots allows you to smite more. It's kinda MAD though.

Myzz
2015-03-02, 04:09 PM
Trickster Cleric or Nature Cleric --> Archfey Warlock for some blasty fun, and spell slots that refresh on short rest...

God and Patron could be the same Entity...

Of course you have to decide if you Warlock is taking a cleric dip, or your cleric is taking a warlock dip...

My current PC = Hill Dwarf Trickster Cleric of Sqelaiche (Leprechaun like Seelie Court Jester God of the little folk), who to give some juice to his favorite cleric grants his pact magic and some boons (aka warlock levels)...

depending on the party and how he ends up playing will determine what I do with extra levels... Currently 2/2. Thinking I want at least Cleric 6, and Lock 3(tome). Might take lock 4, just to get the ASI. At that point might take Lock 5 for level 3 slots. May actually end up 6 cleric/14 lock... but 14C/6L is not out of the question either...

calebrus
2015-03-02, 04:14 PM
And now, after that post, I'm envisioning a Way of Shadow / Trickery domain Sacred Ninja. And a Way of the Four Elements / Light domain Sacred Elementalist. And a Way of the Open Hand / Life domain combat medic.

Strill
2015-03-02, 04:19 PM
There are lots of wizard spells that are beneficial. Short of reprinting the PHB, I would rather ask, beneficial to the character in doing what exactly? What is it that makes cleric 9+ weak in your opinion.

The spells are all-around lackluster. Look at 6th-level Cleric spells. Find the Path is terrible. Heal is pointless because in-combat healing is a terrible strategy, and Prayer of Healing is way more efficient out of combat. Harm does the damage of an equal-level fighter, but costs a spell-slot. Planar Ally is incredibly expensive, in both gold and experience points.

Blade Barrier and Word of Recall are ok, but I don't think that's enough to make the whole spell level worthwhile.

Gnaeus
2015-03-02, 04:44 PM
The spells are all-around lackluster. Look at 6th-level Cleric spells. Find the Path is terrible. Heal is pointless because in-combat healing is a terrible strategy, and Prayer of Healing is way more efficient out of combat. Harm does the damage of an equal-level fighter, but costs a spell-slot. Planar Ally is incredibly expensive, in both gold and experience points.

Blade Barrier and Word of Recall are ok, but I don't think that's enough to make the whole spell level worthwhile.

Find the Path is situational. You got a thing from the quest location, you can find it. In combat healing is better in 5e than in 3.5, because your fighter might not be taking 70 points of damage in a round, and Heal is a good ranged heal that also fixes important status effects. Harm does as much damage as an equal level fighter, from 60 feet away, and prevents the damage from being healed. Planar Ally is awesomesauce. If you can find an outsider that shares your alignment and some of your goals, you have a good chance of being able to use spell slots from the day BEFORE the adventure to improve your chance of success, and any spell that can do that is good. And it will only get better as more monsters get released.

Also, part of the cleric joy is that you don't have to recall situational junk like planar ally or find the path, until the day when you need them, and then you recall them.

RulesJD
2015-03-02, 04:51 PM
Alternative Idea:

Just up-cast the lower level cleric spells that are absolutely dominating. Spiritual Weapon + Spirit Guardians scale incredibly well. Might get boring if you keep using the same combo, but you will be incredibly lethal.

I've actually been brought around on the Life Cleric vs War Cleric in terms of usefulness, primarily when the self-heal on any heal comes online. A fighter dip for +1 AC results in the Cleric becoming the best at tanking while still dealing substantial damage.

Finieous
2015-03-02, 08:09 PM
I can't really answer the question unless I know more about ability scores, domains, feats, and what kind of character the player wants to play, but I can sympathize with the predicament a bit. Specifically, I don't get two main things about higher level non-multiclassed clerics:

* Why do the domain spells stop at Cleric 9? Why can't my tempest cleric ever cast, um, control weather, tsunami, or storm of vengeance?

* Couldn't they have come up with something less lame, in terms of both mechanics and play experience, than divine intervention?

The class seems much less effectively designed after level 9, and for me, those are the main reasons why.

calebrus
2015-03-02, 08:17 PM
* Why do the domain spells stop at Cleric 9? Why can't my tempest cleric ever cast, um, control weather, tsunami, or storm of vengeance?

Because every single class that gets extra spells automatically known, or extra spells added to their list, *always, in every case* ends that feature with 5th level spells, and the Cleric isn't arbitrarily the only exemption to that rule?

Finieous
2015-03-02, 08:31 PM
Because every single class that gets extra spells automatically known, or extra spells added to their list, *always, in every case* ends that feature with 5th level spells, and the Cleric isn't arbitrarily the only exemption to that rule?

No, that's not it. I mean, I suppose it could be, who knows, but it would be a pretty bad reason. Why is this restriction applied to every class? Why is it important that there be consistency in this regard between classes, when there are so many divergences in other respects? If there is some such unspoken priority, why does it outweigh the reasonable expectation that tempest clerics be able to cast control weather?

Your tone strikes me as a little adversarial, so let me emphasize: this is a subjective preference I've formed from playing a cleric. I really like the way the domains are handled and the unique feel that each one gains through their domain spell list. I wish that had been carried through to higher levels, and I believe that if it had players such as the OP would be less likely to look for multiclass options after Cleric 9. For others, I do recognize that abstract design principles ("no extra spells beyond 5th level!") might be a higher priority.

calebrus
2015-03-02, 08:41 PM
You asked why. I explained why.
In 5e, there is low magic (spells 5th level and below) and high magic (spells 6th level and above).
This is evident all over the place.

Examples:
Half casters (pally/ranger) only get to 5th level spells
Warlocks use a different casting mechanic between the two
Only full casters get 6th and above
The spell point variant differs from the slots per day table, and only allows a single slot of each level 6th and above to be created, rather than the two 6th and two 7th that the default slots per day allow
Obviously the designers created a division between the spells of those levels, and a division of power regarding spells of those levels.
That's why all of the extra spells automatically known and extra spells added to lists end with 5th level (low magic) spells. If you want to learn or cast an high magic spell from any class, you only get exactly what that base class offers, and no more.

DireSickFish
2015-03-02, 08:52 PM
Coincidentally 6th level spells come online at level 11. Where the non full casters gain a significant damage increasing ability and cantrips uptick another level. The spells of 6th and above are also very limited on what they can cast per day. Higher level spells are supposed to be a lot more limited. Getting even 1 for free known would upset that. High level spells and slots are limited on purpose because they are the gamechanger spells.

SharkForce
2015-03-02, 08:54 PM
the designers appear to have decided that level 6+ spells are special and need to be limited far more than other spells. for example, warlock pact magic stops at level 5 and then they switch to a different method. wizards can recover spells on a short rest, but only levels 1-5. sorcerers can recover spells using sorcery points, but iirc only level 1-5. land druids get the same mechanic as wizards, again stopping at 1-5.

basically, for whatever reason, when 5e was being put together, the decision was made for 6th level spells to be the cutoff point where you just don't get as much stuff. at the same time, it is also pretty much the point at which they decided that spells could be quite a bit more effective.

so as to why they chose that as their cut-off point in when you can learn spells from other lists, well... probably because that's when the crazy stuff starts to come in. not that all level 6 spells are amazingly good in every situation, but that's sort of when the crazy starts.

calebrus
2015-03-02, 08:58 PM
Right.
And if you thought the Bards' Magical Secrets ability was cool before, understanding this concept brings that ability into a whole new light.
Magical Secrets is the single most powerful ability that any class gets in the entire game.

DireSickFish
2015-03-02, 09:09 PM
Right.
And if you thought the Bards' Magical Secrets ability was cool before, understanding this concept brings that ability into a whole new light.
Magical Secrets is the single most powerful ability that any class gets in the entire game.

I dunnkow man WIS to damage against favored enemies 1/round is pretty hard to top.

Finieous
2015-03-02, 09:16 PM
So if bard's violate the design principle, and it isn't actually a consistent design principle after all, then it's not a very good reason why cleric domain lists couldn't have been extended above 5th level.

And, in fact, divine intervention explicitly can violate the principle as well, it just has a terrible mechanic for doing so -- one that is completely random (and not bloody likely, prior to Cleric 20) and entirely controlled by the DM, rather than the player.

I think the bard's magical secrets is cool, in large part because it's an exception to what is otherwise the rule. Likewise, I think it would be cool if a light cleric of the sun god could cast sunburst.

Once again, the distinction between "low" and "high magic" in the game is fine. I would simply prefer that high-level clerics be able cast "high magic" that is directly related to their deity's portfolio. If they could, I think cleric players like the OP would be less likely to go class shopping after Cleric 9.

SharkForce
2015-03-02, 09:35 PM
well, it would certainly be better than divine intervention. but that's hardly saying much.

Shining Wrath
2015-03-02, 10:59 PM
Some good clerical spells at higher level:
L6: Create Undead. Three CR 1 minions who obey bonus action commands? Does the phrase "action economy" mean nothing to you?
L6: Heal. Blindness, deafness, and diseases (note: ANY diseases, including magical ones).
L6: Heroes' Feast. Advantage on Wisdom saves for 24 hours. 11 extra hit points for 24 hours (regainable during rests). For up to 12 creatures. I guess you never fight vampires?
L7: Regenerate. Unless you like missing limbs, which I admit can add character to your character.
L8: Antimagic field. Shut down the enemy caster.
L9: Gate. One of the all time "Why yes I am broken" spells, even nerfed it's still a potential game changer.
L9: True Resurrection. All you need is a tiny piece of the body, or just the name.