PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana: When Armies Clash (Mass Combat) Officially published.

Kryx
2015-03-02, 12:33 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-when-armies-clash

JFahy
2015-03-02, 12:38 PM
I was hoping they'd go for highly-abstracted like L5R, but I'll give it a chance. /print

TrexPushups
2015-03-02, 01:24 PM
I do like that they gave fighters et al a reason to not dump cha. Because being a leader of men is actually quite valuable.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-03-02, 01:28 PM
Not bad, and not too many undue complications layered over the base combat rules. Some of the distance rules are a bit wonky, but I guess that's compensated by the time-scale change. I'm definitely interest in giving these rules a spin, so that's a good sign.

Occasional Sage
2015-03-02, 03:37 PM
I was hoping they'd go for highly-abstracted like L5R, but I'll give it a chance. /print

Not bad, and not too many undue complications layered over the base combat rules. Some of the distance rules are a bit wonky, but I guess that's compensated by the time-scale change. I'm definitely interest in giving these rules a spin, so that's a good sign.

It looks like a relatively smooth, stripped-down TTWG without tape measures, yeah. The three things that come to mind immediately that I'd want to add are:

1. the ability to move non-engaged stands to increase frontage and envelope smaller units;

2. more tactical facing rules;

3. movement more in realtime a la the old L5R game Clan War, where (say) each unit takes up to 30' of move, then units can take their 40'-60' moves, etc.

I'll be very interested to see this in play!