PDA

View Full Version : favorite class and why?

Kultrum
2007-04-08, 06:07 PM
This thread is devoted to everyone's favorite class. Which class is most fun for you?

Also we will assume for the sake of argument that this is ver. 3.6 and all the classes have been perfectly balanced somehow and all can get about the same playtime in and out of combat. This should stop some unnecessary arguments.

For me its the bard. I mean think about the nads on a guy who walks into a dungeon and when hes attacked he sits down and sings a song.

Dark_Wind
2007-04-08, 06:24 PM
Favorite class?

Wizard, now and forever. They are, at least in my opinion, the most enjoyable class to play. I like magic, and I like the planning that goes into preparing each day's spells.

karmuno
2007-04-08, 06:24 PM
For me, it'd have to be cleric (it would be paladin, if not for the restrictions placed upon it). I think this is because a cleric, for me, is an ideal roleplaying class. In settings in which there is a friendly church, it helps a lot to have contacts (especially when it comes to plot development). I like the whole air of superiority I can subtely portray when I play as an avatar to a deity. Also, they're pretty decent in combat, and the healing spells are indispensible for a low level party. In pretty much all my games I play either a cleric or paladin (cavalier in HackMaster).

melchizedek
2007-04-08, 06:30 PM
I really like to play Favored Souls and Swashbucklers. They both have a great deal of flavor and some cool options.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-08, 06:31 PM
fighter, i prefer to do my work the old-fashioned way, with pointy steel :smallmad: .

Generic PC
2007-04-08, 06:33 PM
Swashbuckler, Rogue... you get the theme... occansionally i break the mold and play ranger/ druid, but not often...

Daelon
2007-04-08, 06:34 PM
Warmage: I like blowing stuff up.

Kultrum
2007-04-08, 06:39 PM
Warmage: I like blowing stuff up.

Dont we all?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-08, 06:42 PM
Rogue. Even if I take other classes besides the rogue for skill-monkeying, I have rogue intent and am merely tweaking it. I love being the most skilled man on the planet, and I love how pretty much every party type can benefit from having me around. I like being James Bond, MacGuyver, and Indiana Jones all rolled into one. I like how I can be the group's face, the group's skeleton key, the group's anti-defenses man, and the group's scout without even tapping into the trickier stuff.

The shadows, the dungeons, even the courts- I'm useful everywhere.

Dhavaer
2007-04-08, 06:42 PM
Hexblade. I like riding wolves, hitting things with other things that are sharp and metallic, and prestidigitation.

daggaz
2007-04-08, 06:47 PM
Melee Clerics. Cuz I can hack and slash, AND cast. Plus its a good comfy RP chair to sit in.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-08, 06:50 PM
Warlock. It's magic, but it's different magic, and awesome magic. I like the idea of just channeling raw eldirtch power through force of will, except less under control than a sorcerer or wizards.

averagejoe
2007-04-08, 06:53 PM
Barbarian. Rage-tastic bashing-ness is so choice. I enjoy other classes, but the barbarian will always hold a special place in my heart.

JellyPooga
Gotta go with Rogue.

Why? As a Rogue, you're the only member of the party, except perhaps the Healer (whatever class s/he be), who has a profession that does not involve hacking someone into tiny pieces or doing the same by altering the universe with your mind (unless there happens to be another Rogue or a Ranger/Scout in the party).

Those skill points just taste too much like yum to resist and, well to be honest, I like being able to talk my way out of stealing/betraying/backstabbing or otherwise doing something slightly naughty. Oh and being able to use the age-old excuse (if all other protestations fail) of; "What? So I had a moment of weakness. What did you expect? I'm a Thief."

Oo oo oo and being able, if everything going tits up, to simply blend into the shadows and pretend you're "not with them".

Shadow of the Sun
Bard. 'Coz that fits who I am perfectly.

ImperiousLeader
2007-04-08, 06:54 PM
Sorcerors, Druids and Warblades. Sorcerors may not have the uberness of Wizards and CODzillas, but I find them fun. Druids are just impressive. And Warblades ... well, until ToB came out I'd never have considered playing a melee character.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 06:57 PM
Sorcerer, Crusader, or Warlock, favorite prestige class's...eldritch theurge, arcane heriophant and the mystic theurge....loves me my duel casting. Those are 3rd ed

fav second ed.....bard.....i was so blind

TheThan
2007-04-08, 07:02 PM
Duskblades,

Because they are so dang awesome, arcane power, plus melee skill is just right up my ally.
I’d have to say Bard for a close second.

JaronK
2007-04-08, 07:03 PM
Currently, Dread Necromancers and Beguilers. Both are strong, flexible classes, but neither can do everything, so they're good in a group. They fill their roles well and contribute plenty, but don't overshadow the other members of the party.

If it were more balanced (and in this case I mean stronger), the spellthief would be great.

JaronK

Kultrum
2007-04-08, 07:04 PM
hmm didn't think about that but PrCs should be here too.
Mine would have to be fortunes friend, trapsmith, and fochlucan lyrist
FF because im very lucky and i like my char to be, Trapsmith because i like to be the one using the traps for a change, and fochlucan lyrist because it lets me have an excuse to multiclass three times and i get all skills as class skills

Kultrum
2007-04-08, 07:06 PM
If it were more balanced (and in this case I mean stronger), the spellthief would be great

remember this is in the "perfect new edition"

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 07:08 PM
i think you and i would get along in a game Kultrum, i think we would get along very well.

thorgrim29
2007-04-08, 07:09 PM
I like multiclassing rogue and fighter, a cunnning semi-skillmonkey with hitting powerr and feats, also, I was talking about that with a friend, and rogue+spiked chain+adaptable flanker=always sneakattack unless I'm mistaken. The good old axe and plate dwarven fighter is a personnal favorite too, not much beats a high Ac and high hitting power with a cool attitude.

Kultrum
2007-04-08, 07:11 PM
i think you and i would get along in a game Kultrum, i think we would get along very well.

well... i am putting together a game for online play at the end of the summer if you want ill PM you when i start looking for charaters

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 07:14 PM
please do, i would like a chance to play with some people from this board, and since you are one of the few i respect it would be an honor

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-08, 07:15 PM
Although I got the book barely two days ago, Totemist from Magic of Incarnum is already easily my favorite class.

Throughout my entire career, I've actually personally created magic items that duplicated the power of monsters; I've enjoyed playing druids to become magical beasties, enjoyed rangers or wizards to gain familiars, paladins to get unusual mounts. I love monsters; I almost bought Dungeonscape just to get the Beast Heart Adept.

So Totemist is made of win for me.

brian c
2007-04-08, 07:19 PM
In Core, Monk followed by Sorceror and Barbarian. Monks because I do martial arts (1st dan, Shotokan Karate) and that's the class I can most associate with. Sorcerors and Barbarians, I just like the freedom, and I usually play chaotic characters unless I'm a monk.

Non-core, I like warlocks just for shooting raw magic out of your fingers.

Duraska
2007-04-08, 07:42 PM
My all time favorite class has always been the Paladin.

I go through these brief phases where I think I prefer either a Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, or Wizard more -- But I always end up coming back to the Paladin. I just love the idea of a noble, lawful, and chivalrous knight in shining armor (or knight in leather armor depending on the campaign setting).

LordSoth
2007-04-08, 08:03 PM
I like rangers and sorcerers. Rangers because of the dual-wielding class abilities, sorcerers because of the casting without preparation, and better weapon selection. Also, because I enjoy playing the chaotic elements of these classes.

Njerus_Xhazekarath
2007-04-08, 08:06 PM
Shadowcasters!!! All the way!!! :smallwink:

PaladinBoy
2007-04-08, 08:10 PM
In case you can't tell from my name, paladin. I like the pure good/ exalted part of the class. I also enjoy participating in a battle of good and evil where good can actually win the whole thing. I really like being able to know, with certainty, that the villians are wrong and evil and I am right and good........ as opposed to real life, where the question is murkier.

The wizard's versatility is a close second, though.

As for PrCs, my favorite would probably be one from Eberron, the windwright captain. There's just something cool about being able to summon the airship...... from a mile away. I also like the way the class is portrayed; the quote from a sample windwright captain illustrates this quite nicely:

"Of course I can fly between the trees at this speed. They're at least 20 feet apart. Trust me."

tobian
2007-04-08, 08:50 PM
Huh... interesting question.

In the campaign before this one, I played a wizard(non-specialized and no prc, he just got 5th level spells when we switched)-he was fun!

My favorite spell combo I discovered with him, an everburning torch and pyrotechnics, light version.:smallbiggrin:

I also discovered that the big blow up spells I didnt like as much as I would have thought; being a wizard allowed me to be able to switch between offense or utility or defense to my liking on a day by day basis.

So wizard holds a special place in my heart.

However, now that I discovered that I like utility magic, im actually having a lot of fun with my bard I now have. I can do about anything, including healing if need be-though not as good as any pure class, I find it fits my style very nicely.

So I guess bard is my favorite class as of now.:smallamused:

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-04-08, 09:04 PM
I really like the Binder class from Tome of Magic. Every single day you can completely change the type of character you are being. You can pick any vestige available to your level and each one has a totally different focus and theme. And the opportunities for a great backstory and Role play are simply wonderful. I'm not partial to Divine magic and those who pratice it (Pelor is a lie! The clerics are tricking you out of your tithes!) Getting to roleplay that in a character is great.

my_evil_twin
2007-04-08, 10:15 PM
I like fighters. You can do almost anything with a fighter, as long as it's... well... fighting. But that's a lot, and it gives you by far the most freedom in character building of any class.

Counterpower
2007-04-08, 10:17 PM
Heh........ good question. Since I'm the DM, it's hard for me to come up with a class that I really like. I can't afford to get attached to my NPCs............ most of them get killed. Really fast.

Well. Let's actually try here. It's varied a LOT. I went through a cleric phase, a fighter phase........... my last campaign was the cleric phase. Forgotten Realms cleric of Selune, or a Selunite, as I was fond of calling it. That has really stuck with me, so I'd say cleric. Although right now I think I'd enjoy RPing a wilder from the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-04-08, 10:19 PM
I'm partial to monks, I also practice martial arts. I like monks and bards mostly because they are useful, as a fifth character the bard is amazing (everyone gets +1 attack +1 damage) plus only arcane healing and can cast lots of wizard and sorceror scrolls with no check. I like monks cause they are half rogue (not as high damage though) and half fighter (can't hit quite as well) but they are sneaky characters that run in and out of battle fast. (I love spring attack on my monks)

Edo
2007-04-08, 10:41 PM
I'll always love the Nine Swords classes.

But if this is 3.6? Paladins and shadowcasters. I've been wanting to play one of either since forever.

TheOOB
2007-04-08, 10:48 PM
Barring homebrewed classes (I have a personal foundness for some of the classes I've made myself), I really love playing a wizard, specifically an enchanter. I always loved wizards, even before I realized how overpowered they can be, I just always liked the idea of playing someone who while not physically intimidating, can manipulate the world around them to their whims by using cold, calculating logic.

Reptilus
2007-04-08, 11:08 PM
Rogue or Ninja. Sneaky-sneak sneak.

Luircin
2007-04-08, 11:27 PM
I prefer psion (egotist) myself. It's just fun to be able to transform yourself into almost anything you've seen before with sheer force of will.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-08, 11:30 PM
I am a huge fan of Shadowcasters, Spellthieves, Swordsages, Totemists, and Wilderness Rogues. They're very self-reliant and incredibly versatile.

A concept I've been kicking around so far has been Wilderness Rogue/Exemplar/Trapsmith/Combat Trapsmith, but I have no idea how viable it'd be.

WarBrute
2007-04-08, 11:41 PM
Its got be the Warmage. Love offensive casting.

Exarch
2007-04-08, 11:53 PM
I'm a huge fan of the plain jane Fighter...the true master of war. That is, until the Book of the Nine came out, and now I love the Warblade (mechanically) and the Crusader (flavor-wise). Paladin gets a very honorable mention, too.

Lolth
2007-04-08, 11:54 PM
I like a lot of classes for a lot of different reasons.

I like Wizards, but often tire of them. Fighters too, for some reason I just dig them, however non-optimal. For me, Clerics are entirely dependent on the deity, since it's such a huge role-playing element.

But since I discovered them recently, my main love is Factotums.

Tach13
2007-04-08, 11:57 PM
Rogue, or some variation where Rogue is the base and either PrC's or a touch of Fighter shore up his weaknesses. I just like looking at a door and thinking "I can get in there" and know it's almost guaranteed true. :) Plus I'm always thankful for the "Never Flat Footed, evading target" thing, just saved my one character last game I played when an ally turned foe without warning. He tried to hit my Rogue/ Thief Acrobat and missed because of Uncanny Dodge, and was able to fight back fully with the prone abilities of TA.

Toliudar
2007-04-09, 12:14 AM
Clerics, all the way. Devotion to a cause larger than yourself. The ability to help others, gather information, or take action on your own. Yum.

Latronis
2007-04-09, 04:52 AM
I have too many issues with clerics

Turn\Rebuke undead for starters, its more logical for something like a druid, and though it makes sense for some gods some just wouldnt care.

Also divine worship not for me in general, though there are some exceptions for some reason its usually in FR too (Beguiler\Favoured Soul who worshipped Sharess and i had a halfling who eventually became a primate of bhaal)

Then i'm of the belief that a cleric should be connected to a deity, though one of my players once told me when they play a cleric they like to play it as an avatar of there RL self.

I allowed it because it was all kinds of awesome.

As for my favourite classes... Ranger I love the hunter. Always have. From back when they had divine and arcane spells then when they became TWF buzzsaws then to 3.0 were they sucked but had more options then earlier editions (if not the skill points to do so effectively) 3.5 made them much much better, and much much closer to what i wanted.

Wizard (though i despised the name change from mage to wizard) Because magic is cool, they also have the whole whatever you can do i can do better thing going on.

Psion for much the same as wizard just a different flavour.

Druids because turning into beasts is just cool

And finally paladins intended to fall and adjust because i favour that kind fo radical character development eventually leading to a balanced outlook. (Might go from paladin->blackguard->Neutralwarrior type)

Saph
2007-04-09, 08:06 AM
Favourite class: Wizard. I just love the way the class works. They're awesome when played well, terrible when played badly, and that suits me just fine. I like relying on my wits as a player.

Runner-up: Rogue, for the same reason. I'm a fan of Jack Vance, and the kind of stuff the rogues from there get up to is my idea of exactly what a rogue should be able to do. No matter how bad or confusing the situation looks, you should be able to come up with some way to spin it to your advantage. :)

Favourite Prestige Class: Loremaster. It's core, it's not overpowered, and it allows you to tailor your wizard to just about whatever you want. Loads of skill points, a great skill list, various boosts that you can put where you like, and some divination abilities. Although it doesn't give you any unique abilities, it's one of the most flexible PrCs out there.

- Saph

bosssmiley
2007-04-09, 09:29 AM
Paladin. You're the knight in shining armour righting wrongs and fighting evil. Uber-iconic!

Piccamo
2007-04-09, 09:43 AM
I don't have favorite classes so much as favorite archetypes. I love the Archer archetype and the Pact archetype (the one that bargains for power, e.g. Binder and Warlock).

Soniku
2007-04-09, 09:46 AM
Shifter, if PrCs count.

I just love the roleplaying opportunities and even more the level of deception that is available by your character having the ability to be numerous beings of different races :)

ocato
2007-04-09, 09:59 AM
Stand by for massive surprise.

Bard.

What? Ocato loves bards? Shocking!

I just love it when the captain of the guard sees 5 of the roughest, most deadly people ever, armed to the teeth with weapons, magic, and all sorts of explosives, walk up to the door of the Duke's big fancy dress gala and then I step forward and go, "They're with me," and we get in without any kind of trouble.

I love that the rogue never steals from me because half my spells give him sneak attack on a paralyzed, prone, or stupified enemy. I love that even when we face something that is immune to every single one of my abilities, I can just sing a song and still turn the tide of the battle. I also like that rapier crits can still hurt sting. Bards are just all around fun.

Darkxarth
2007-04-09, 10:07 AM
My favorite class is definitely got to be the Bard. He can do a little bit of everything, can easily fill any role if necessary, and as long as he's got a non-negative Intelligence and Wisdom, they make great leaders!

Second would have to be the Paladin. The class restrictions just make them all the more interesting to play. Everything you do, from combat to treasure to role-playing can have a direct effect on your character directly. Since a wrong turn can mean goodbye Paladin, hello Fighter-without-bonus-feats!:smallbiggrin:

Third would have to be either the Wizard or the Sorcerer, since I do enjoy being the primary spellcaster of a party. Flying around, throwing Fireballs and summoning beasts and just generally doing whatever I want.

Fhaolan
2007-04-09, 10:28 AM
I always default to Rangers, Druids, and Bards, although I often build them out in different character classes as my mental picture of these archetypes vary in some degree from the standard 3.x character classes.

jlousivy
2007-04-09, 10:39 AM
monk with the 'unusual flurry weapon' or whatever (Katana).
I guess i gotta love me kenshin.
That or a rogue or <insert any sneaky class>. not so much for the traps, but the sneakyness/sneakattack

Gerrtt
2007-04-09, 10:42 AM
Not because of the power involved behind them, but Clerics and Druids are my favorite....but Druids moreso. I'm pretty into nature IRL and I like the idea on bringing down natures wrath to crush those who are out to hurt it in the long run. It's such a shame the idea doesn't exist in reality, or we might have more rainforests.

I like playing religious characters, it's a very easy way to help develop a personality, backstory, reason for adventuring, etc.

TeenageHeat
2007-04-09, 10:49 AM
the Ranger, but moreso the Elf Ranger than any other. they're the ninjas of the woods. i feel like they're the most versatile class. good base attack bonus, some free feats, an animal companion flanker/shield, hide in plain sight, and some decent spells. when you go archery, you can also be a lot more creative during combat.

Mr. Moogle
2007-04-09, 11:27 AM
Warlocks are fun if you know how to play them, and i can roleplay a stick-up-the-ass paladin very well, but i also belive that a celestial warlock-palidin-gestalt would be awsome (instead of fiendish, why not celestial!):smallbiggrin:

also warlcoks have the most overpowered strategy ever, devilsight+darkness=blind enemys that you take potshots at, untill they trample themselves in confusion.

so warlocks are the best tactical class ever!:smallcool:

Machete
2007-04-09, 11:35 AM
I'm new to dnd but I like playing a Spirit Shaman. Although underpowered, the Spirit Shaman isn't accountable to gods or nature- just to some ambiguous spirits.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-04-09, 11:51 AM
Jade Phoenix Mage.

BOOM!

jjpickar
2007-04-09, 11:56 AM
My favorite class? Can I say assassin? Guess not, well an assassin-y rogue.

Leush
2007-04-09, 12:06 PM
I like bards because they're considered weak and because they can do most things well and because it's easier to fall into role-playing with them since they talk so much usually and specialise in non hitting things.

I also like wilders, now that I've discovered psionics, because, well, you can fit one to just about any concept.

Counterspin
2007-04-09, 12:10 PM
I love new. My last few characters have been a warlock, a dragon shaman, a totemist, a druid/swordsage, and I've got a wilder that I'm planning on playing at the first opportunity. (Wilder is new to me, I just got EXP, so don't judge me :))

Telonius
2007-04-09, 12:16 PM
Rogue. I love the sneakiness, I love trapfinding, I love the bluff and diplomacy, I love dual-wielding sneak attacks, I love 18-20 threat range on the rapier, I love evasion, and most of all I love all of those wonderful, wonderful skill points. Combine with a couple levels of Wizard and the Arcane Trickster PrC, and I am one happy gamer.

I haven't played an Artificer yet, though, so that may be in the running.

skyclad
2007-04-09, 12:17 PM
Totally Ranger. They are just so cool, you know, secretive loners living in the woods, friend with all the animals and still the perfect hunter. Guiding people through the woods, protecting the village from orcs, they just rock at everything cool.

warmachine
2007-04-09, 12:53 PM
Cleric of Hieroneous because I'm a defensive strategist and clerics have good spells for countering enemy tactics, such as Freedom of Movement, Silence and Remove Paralysis. Cure spells keep up the front line whilst good armour and hit points means you can afford to be in that front line delivering said spells. You can go hand-to-hand or fire off some offensive spells yourself. The class that turns the tide of battle.

Good diplomacy is just handy in roleplaying and turning undead is just a bonus. A man for all seasons except stealth or intrigue.

Bard might seem a good alternative for me but I can't get one to be effective for enough situations.

Dragor
2007-04-09, 01:00 PM
Knight- because it's good to be a spellcasters best friend AND be able to dish out damage in the process. Also makes for good roleplay, too.

Thrawn183
2007-04-09, 01:15 PM
Barbarian and Warblade because they are the two classes that are most straightforward about themselves.

Barbarian: Grah, smash.

Warblade: Oh dear, did i just replace your spine with my sword?
Someone else: Wow, you're pretty good at that.
Warblade: Meh, its what I do.

Xaros
2007-04-09, 11:44 PM
I'm a bit new to 3.5 (last game before this one was 2.0 - four years ago!), but I have to say that I like the idea of the Soulknife. There's just something about being able to make a weapon out of pure crystallized will.

I just wish there was a "psionic paladin" to play. That would rock.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 12:24 AM
Warblade: Oh dear, did i just replace your spine with my sword?
Someone else: Wow, you're pretty good at that.
Warblade: Meh, its what I do.

Thrawn, you win today's "You've Killed Fax With Laughter Award." Congrats.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 12:27 AM
I just wish there was a "psionic paladin" to play. That would rock.

There is. It's called the Divine Mind. Don't play it. It sucks so hard, every time I read the book, Khantalas spills his drink (which is a feat, as I'm in California and he's in Turkey).

turtleant120
2007-04-10, 02:22 AM
Soulknife and Pyrokinetesist.
This happened in our last game.
(three gaurds walk into the room)
Gaurd1: What the heck is that?! (points at Tik-Tik, my thri-kreen soulknife/pyrokineticist.)
Gaurd2: I dont know but its ugly.
Gaurd3: He doesn't have a weapon lets get him! (charges at Tik-Tik. Falls down with head missing.)
Gaurd1: Holy crap its got a lightsaber!
Gaurd2: And it's on fire! RUN!
:biggrin:

Bag_of_Holding
2007-04-10, 02:49 AM
Druid; not for her uber-CoDZilla-ness :smallbiggrin: but for its distict flavour as well as the nifty abilities to survive in the wild.

Zincorium
2007-04-10, 04:21 AM
Personally, I like warrior builds, and if they come with additional benefits, like psychic warrior or duskblade, so much the better.

Swashbuckler, despite it's shortcomings, is still my favorite. It just needs some, erm, prestige to become the best it can be.

Kiero
2007-04-10, 04:27 AM
Ranger, for that skirmishing, wilderness guerilla goodness.

Kantolin
2007-04-10, 04:46 AM
Always been most fond of Fighters. Not sure why, just are fun. ^_^

Second place goes to Wizards and Bards, due to thematics.

enderrocksonall
2007-04-10, 04:58 AM
I personally love the idea of the psychic warrior. You get the BAB of a fighter and you get the blasting power of a psion, everyone wins!!!

Zincorium
2007-04-10, 05:48 AM
I personally love the idea of the psychic warrior. You get the BAB of a fighter and you get the blasting power of a psion, everyone wins!!!

Well, except Psychic warriors don't get either of those things.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm

Check that out. Psychic warriors have the BAB of a cleric or rogue, and their power selection, while excellent, has very little in common with that of the psion. Mostly, they're good at buffing themselves, with a little bit of utility thrown in.

Granted, the idea of the BAB of a fighter and the blasting power of a psion is pretty nifty, but it's in practice limited to gestalt games and crazy powerful homebrew classes.

Overlard
2007-04-10, 05:52 AM
Beguiler.

I love being the goto guy for traps, social situations and unexpected occurances (bluffing your way out of prison cells etc), and having great spells to sling around too. I got bored of magic users when most new spells seemed to be all about more d6 damage, so having one that's almost entirely direct-damage free is great fun. Plus, the fun you can have with illusions is almost limitless. My personal favourite was making the big bad evil guy walk face-first into a door that was glamoured to look open, just after he made his speech about how we'd never stop him. From threatening to completely undignified in six seconds.

Armads
2007-04-10, 06:04 AM
Psions.

Because you can destroy stuff with your head.

fireinthedust
2007-04-10, 06:08 AM
THE WILDSHAPER core class I made up. it's on the Homebrewing page right now! I need to fix it up, and change some of the mx size bits.

why do I like it? It fills a niche that otherwise needs druids (which I find irksome). I mean, what about Robin Goodfellow? Loki? Raven? Zeus a-wooing?
Heck, I'm sure there's some magical cat out there that changed forms and nothing but; and frankly, I don't see any of them hugging trees. Stealing stuff and capturing the maidenhead of mortal women, sure, but that's about it. (I mean, who wouldn't want their very own maidenhead, whatever that may be (I have my suspicions))

geek_2049
2007-04-10, 06:11 AM
I tend to play rogues and wizards mostly, I also enjoy the Arcane Trickster prc. I took a "which D&D class test are you" and got Arcane Trickster.

Falon
2007-04-10, 06:13 AM
Psions.

Because you can destroy stuff with your head.
Monks.

Because you can destroy stuff with your head

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-10, 06:18 AM
I play D&D for heroic fantasy. When I play World of Darkness, I play Church Knight (http://www.mants-lair.org.uk/wodindex.htm) when the storyteller will put up with web supplements (even to the point where I designed the friggin' character sheet (http://www.menchhofer.com/chris/pdf/fansheets/Church_Knight4-Pagev2.pdf)) and a Hunter if not. I have a class name in my handle. Given all of this information, I will allow one guess. :smallamused:

LotharBot
2007-04-10, 01:51 PM
Ranger, with a couple of Rogue levels thrown in.

Some people like being Batman. I like being Robin -- never in the spotlight, but always making everyone else better. My current character has been nicknamed "the masterwork halfling" because, between aid another and flanking, he gives pretty much everyone a +2 bonus on pretty much everything they do, like a set of masterwork tools. Add to that the ability to use healing wands and scrolls, deal a bit of normal and sneak attack damage, act as lookout, and track stuff, and you have pretty much the perfect "helper" character.

enderrocksonall
2007-04-10, 02:03 PM
For practicality there is nothing like a good ol' meatshield of a paladin, while for flavor I just love the never-transported to 3.x Lasher from the Sword and Fist book. Its a way to bring Indiana Jones into the adventure.

Gotta love the thri-kreen fighter quad-wielding flaming whips.

nivek1234
2007-04-10, 02:04 PM
I second the assassin idea. It is so easy to tell when the DM is irritated at me. :)

I also love barbarians and fighters, you can really crank out some damage with those puppies. Seriously a barbarian with a ton o' str and a scythe, I love my crits...

JellyPooga
2007-04-10, 02:57 PM
O.k. so I've already posted my favourite class to play (Rogue), but I do like fighters, barbarians, clerics, druids, wizards, sorcerers, monks, bards, warlocks, warmages, wu jen, hexblades, samurai and all those other classes for their amazing ability to be oh so noticable whilst I slip away into the darkness and their ability to get in the way of all those arrows and swords that would otherwise be aimed at me.

Teloric
2007-04-10, 03:15 PM
I don't really have a "favourite" class. The character class is almost irrelevant compared to the character personality, how he reacts to situations, and what kinds of roleplaying opportunities arise from the adventure situations we find ourselves in.

Some Examples:

I had fun playing a halfling thief for a while simply because I played him like a wacky inventor that was always coming up with a new gadget to try on things.

I had fun playing a bard for a while because I would continually write our group adventures into poetry and then play them back to the party as a refresher at the beginning of each session.

I had fun playing a fighter who hated wizards and spent all his time hunting them. It was all about attitude with this guy.

I've been roleplaying for over 24 years now. I've played all sorts of roleplaying games, some with character classes, some without, and I can truly tell you the real fun is in the roleplaying, not the class.

Now, having said all this, I've been enjoying my level 2 Wizard - Conjurer Specialist lately. He's managed to make a major contribution to every adventure we've had so far. For personality, he's very religious and sees himself as a pilgrim of sorts. He also has a couple of fun quirks that go well with our Eberron campaign. He's fascinated by occurances of the number 13, and he believes that if something bad happens twice, it will happen a third time.

Daedo daShoegod
2007-04-27, 10:23 AM
Barbarians, because there ability to shrug of a lot of attacks: "when the going get's tough we get tougher", and Rogues one of the most integral classes to the Game "The party face, trap disabler, and combatant"

Galathir
2007-04-27, 10:50 AM
I would have to vote for Beguiler but Swordsage is a close second.

Mellchia
2007-04-27, 11:32 AM
Psion/Wilder. Although Swordsage or Monk comes in a close second.

Typically I'll play any class that appears we're lacking, make a good concept, and roll with it. So typically it's anything but Magi or Rogues in my group.

wowy319
2007-04-27, 11:40 AM
Well, for me, it depends on what mood I'm in. to be honest, I have a new favorite class each week, based on the books I've read. My main staples would have to be bard, wizard and rogue. Those three classes are my favorite to play, simply because of their flavor and versatility. As for my flavor of the week, I'm really into psions (specifically kineticists). They have a great ammount of power selection and a well-rounded ammount of power points. wilders are too like sorcerers, and I hate being limited by spell/power selection without enough melee potential/class features to back it up.

Penguinsushi
2007-04-27, 11:51 AM
I like to mess around with a bit of everything, but I'm a particular fan of Druids. Particularly when, with a clever backstory, you can combine it with Vow of Poverty and a monk level or two. This allowed me to play a truly amaterialist character. It's kinda cool to need nothing.

The Druid appeals to me because of its versatility. Decent attack progression, substantial magical ability, shapeshifting via wild shape, etc. I also find I have a good time with nature based characters in general.

~PS

anmesm58527
2007-04-27, 02:05 PM
warmage/wizard/ultimate magus.....with reserve feats.... your high int for your wizard adds damage to your warmage spells....win-win......and with the reserve feats...at level 9 i can cast a 3d6 ball of fire every round, ok so its not quite as powerful as a warlock..but the next round i can cast a 10d6 fireball(thats right one level higher than me while multiclassing...ultimate magus has that "ultimate" part in there for a reason)

so basically its the blaster with some tricks up his sleeve(my wiz is a conj) all of my wizard spells are non-offensive but wholly effective, things like web, bands of steel(if they fail a relex save they are helpless for one round...coup de gras anyone?)...fly is a great one.....spider climb, bull strength, stuff like that

so i can be stuck to the ceiling....and blow a hole in the ground...(my absolute favorite tactic)

the only draw back is im the only caster in the party....so people get mad at me that i dont have higher levels spells yet but oh well....i ussually get back at them by "accidently" webbing them in with the bad-guys

Jannex
2007-04-27, 06:00 PM
One might notice something of a trend in my preferred classes...

I'll add my vote to the bard-love I've been hearing on this thread. With my play-style, I'd rather have something reasonably useful to do in nearly every conceivable situation, than be really exceptionally good in one area, and sitting in the background uselessly the rest of the time. Bards get great skills, utility spells, moderate combat proficiency, and utility abilities. They do the social thing really well, and they're fun to roleplay. What's not to love?

Rangers are great fun, if I'm in the mood to be a little more combat-oriented. The ability to track is often terribly useful, they have really good skills, and there's nothing wrong with free feats that go toward developing a signature combat style. Being able to use cure wands doesn't hurt, either. I often enjoy playing the wildernessy angle, too.

That's one of the things I love most about Scouts, actually. They combine the best of two worlds: the wilderness elements of a Ranger with the precision damage and special abilities of a Rogue--and additional movement speed.

Ultimately, though, my favorite base class is the Rogue. Evasion and Uncanny Dodge are just beautiful, sneak attack is just fun, and the class skill selection and skill points are... almost sufficient. :smallwink: I think what I like best about Rogue, though, is the flexibility the class offers: there are so many varied character concepts that the class can encompass.

Thunder_Ranger
2007-04-27, 09:49 PM
Ranger + Barbarian. Lots of wild melee goodness, with some great character roleplaying options (I have slight anger issues...:smallamused: ) Plus there's just enough spellcasting useful spellcasting from the Ranger and Uncanny dodge and the like from the barbarian to make you extremely self-sufficient in combat.

TheLogman
2007-04-27, 11:13 PM
Truenamers, they shout Gibberish, stuff happens, Winning combination!

P.S. This is assuming that all classes are equal, and choices are being made on sheer coolness/personal preference.

Cade Shadow
2007-04-29, 07:13 PM
Rogue, Beguilers, knights, duskblades, paladins, bards, wizard and sorcerer. Not necessarily in that order.

rogues because they're stealthy and its fun to play a LG character with that class.

Beguilers because they are what i do with my rogues when not being an Anti-thief

Knights because i like the whole concept of taking damage for your allies.

Paladins for the same reason.

Duskblades because the lack of casting is the only thing that kills a fighter/barbarian for me.

Bards because they're so strange and you sing at people. Its the most ridiculous class ever (thank you Elan for opening my eyes)

Wizards because they're versatile in spell selection.

Khoran
2007-04-29, 07:57 PM
Sorcerer Gishes! I know that Wizards can probobly do it better, but I like to do it with a Sorcerer.

ivelios_liadon
2007-04-29, 09:20 PM
for me, bard with prestige class of virtuoso (if it still exists) - think about it, you can make entire groups of people do your dirty work, and you still get the xp

Ali
2007-04-30, 01:36 PM
Sorcerer. A summoning sorcerer!

Conjuration wizards can just get lost!!!

I feed their spellbooks to fiendish dire rats, while they are sleeping.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Drascin
2007-04-30, 02:47 PM
It depends a lot. But, on average, it would be a tie between Psion and Druid. The reason for both is the same: they're nine distict flavors of awesome. The psion is what a sorcerer should have been: a man able to manipulate reality by will, and the mind and self-knowledge aspects. And the druid... well, you are a freaking avatar of Gaea, it just doesn't get much cooler than that :smallamused:.

BooBooSpooki
2007-04-30, 03:51 PM
I'm partial to illusionists. ;)

dungeon_munky
2007-04-30, 07:09 PM
My favorite base class is the ranger, followed by rogue, followed by wizard. I'm also a huge fan of the new shape changing class they released in 3.6 (I can't remember the name), because that has always been my favorite element of fantasy tales.

As far as prestige classes go, I am a master of stealth and infiltration. Shadowdancer or assassin, Id say.

Cyborg Pirate
2007-04-30, 07:30 PM
For me, usually either fighty types or rogue-ish types. I like to be able to melee and I like having skills and high charisma, but I don't like the bard mechanics. I haven't played a swordsage but from what I read it sounds like a class that can become one of my favourites very quickly. Otherwise, I mostly play straight fighters, barbarians or rogues with rogues being the most frequently played.