PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sun Pathfinder games and conversions

blackspeeker
2015-03-02, 05:37 PM
I've always been intrigued by dark sun, or The Dying Earth genre in general and for a while now I've wanted to run a game on Athas using pathfinder because that's the system my group is used to playing.

Does anyone have some advice on how to do it, recommend any conversions, class bannings (like gunslinger is already out but my players shouldn't have any problem with this since none of them have shown interest in the class before), any AD&D or even 4th edition source books I should look into for fluff or plot hooks (I know the basics defiling=bad, psionics is everywhere, halfling are cannibals, but I know there is more I just need to know where to look.)

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you.

M Placeholder
2015-03-03, 08:00 AM
Dark Sun was converted to 3.5, so youre fine with the system. I only really used the 4th edition for pictures of monsters and cities (As 4th edition was essentially a bastardization of the setting and lost a lot of what made it unique, such as the various race selection, and the inclusion of races such as Elf MkII and Dragonborn). It felt like a 4th edition game in a desert setting, not Dark Sun. I would just use the 3.5 setting. Plus, as psionics is such a huge part of the setting, I would recommend using 3.5 and the Expanded Psionics Handbook

For the setting, I would go here. You will find the campaign setting, the Terrors of Athas and the Terrors of the Dead Lands, as well as some other splatbooks.

http://athas.org/products?publisher=Athas.org

As for other books, these are highly recommended

Dark Sun Campaign setting (Original and revised)
Thri Kreen of Athas
Elves of Athas
Valley of Dust and Fire
City by the Silt Sea
The Will and the Way
Earth, Air, Fire and Water
City State of Tyr
The Ivory Triangle
Defilers and Preservers - The Wizards of Athas

For adventures, I would recommend Forest Maker, Dragons Crown and Black Spine

stack
2015-03-03, 09:41 AM
DSP has made an excellent conversion of psionics for PF, availible on the srd, which I would highly reccomend for that aspect.

blackspeeker
2015-03-03, 05:15 PM
Dark Sun Gnome, that's a good stack of books, I've already talked down a few through a friend and they're very helpful.

Stack thank you, I'm aware of pathfinder psionics, I'm glad to see Dreamscarred want afraid to update and come up with some new systems for it.

I also have a player or two who wants to use path of war classes (which I'm cool with letting him use), this shouldn't be a problem with the setting should it?