PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder First pathfinder character advice

AmbientRaven
2015-03-02, 09:46 PM
Hi Folks,

I currently DM 5e and have played 3.5 (a long long time ago) and made friends with some guys at uni starting a pathfinder game.

I'm excited to play it, but don't know as much about pathfinder and we start playing this weekend! (and with uni work, I dont have time to memorise all of the books!)

The campaign is Sailors and Shackles pirate setting, starts at 4th level, is primarily core book, with gm permission for any other official book (NO 3rd party books at all).
So my understanding is advanced races/classes are allowed with an OK.

The group so far is a rogue, a marksman and an oracle.

So far I am thinking either some form of front line Cleric with buffs (or debuffs) and soem tankiness or bard (as i love 5e bards). but I am very open to suggestion.

The dm is very much about character and not playing for power builds (Which I as a DM agree with strongly) so i would like something strong, but not optimised out the ass.

Thanks for any tips or advise

Psyren
2015-03-02, 10:43 PM
"Marksman?" Do you mean perhaps Ranger or Gunslinger? The Marksman class I know is 3rd Party, which you said isn't allowed.

Tanky Cleric is easy, but since you have an Oracle, you're better off doing something else. And I wouldn't recommend Bard either, because the Oracle player also has the Charisma/face slot. What your party could use is an Intelligence guy and a melee guy - both Magus and Alchemist can fill this role well.

Strormer
2015-03-02, 10:45 PM
I highly recommend trying out an Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot). It's not terribly difficult to pull off and it's not terribly OP, which should keep things in line with the rest of your party. It's a fun and useful build.

Hope you have fun!

EDIT: I don't know how I managed to just completely overlook the other oracle in the party. It's still not terrible to play an Oradin given that you'll be more warrior and less caster, but yeah.

deuxhero
2015-03-02, 11:24 PM
Would help to know more about the oracle. Rogue and some form of ranged attacker are pretty narrow, but Oracle can be self buff focused melee or pure caster.

I'd go Sorcerer or Wizard with a summoning focus as you have no arcane caster and likely don't have a dedicated melee.

Arbane
2015-03-03, 02:24 AM
I'd go Sorcerer or Wizard with a summoning focus as you have no arcane caster and likely don't have a dedicated melee.

Play a Summoner, maybe? Cast spells, and get a fighter++ instead of a familiar!

AmbientRaven
2015-03-03, 02:51 AM
I have asked the Dm for more details on the Oracles build, as that will really affect what i play!

I haven't considered a Wizard previously!
How are Warpriests compared to just a front line cleric? Playing front line primarily as a debuffer

Edit: it seems the oracle is trying to jack of all trades (asked if he has built as buffer, debuffer, healer, front line ect.) and the DM said simply all of the above.

Spore
2015-03-03, 05:56 AM
How are Warpriests compared to just a front line cleric? Playing front line primarily as a debuffer

Smaller spell list but less time needed to buff up. They're more melee oriented but have less spell variation but their melee is fine without 2-3 spells up.

Edit: it seems the oracle is trying to jack of all trades (asked if he has built as buffer, debuffer, healer, front line ect.) and the DM said simply all of the above.

Well. At 4th level he can have one spell for each job at max, so I guess his character will end up being relatively chaotic. Oracles can always heal and buff. Depending on his attributes his melee capabilities or his debuff DCs are not good. At least he has a healthy balance to try everything out.

I am thinking summoner or magus for you but I really would see magus as the more interesting class. Summoner quickly feels overpowering since your eidolon has so many combat options (permanent flight by 5, DR by 7,permanent large size by 9). But your summoner spells are pretty locked in once you've created the character.

The magus offers more spell choice, can be made tanky (just decide on Dervish Dance or Str Magus) and has some burst potential if needed. The class is very well balanced and doesn't need to be downplayed.

Kol Korran
2015-03-03, 06:00 AM
I'd suggest to go with the bard, since you seem to like it so much. There is no problem with several people capable of social skills, in fact it just adds to the play. And from the little I know of adventure path, a bard coudl really go well there.

Might be worth checkign the Buccanear and Sea singer archetypes.

With spells I'd try to go for illusion spells and debilitating spells, as the party seems to lack them. Try to pick up a wandor two of 1st level spells that are useful.

deuxhero
2015-03-04, 01:45 AM
Play a Summoner, maybe? Cast spells, and get a fighter++ instead of a familiar!

I would have said that, but for the mostly core (even though there is an oracle) comment and that Summoners have a lot of easy to miss rules and lower power floor that makes them liekly to ding the DM's "power build" thing.

AmbientRaven
2015-03-05, 02:52 AM
Sorry for the slow reply!

So I found out some more details today

Rogue: New player, but, GM helped her make the character and Gm is very experienced with rogues
Oracle: Trying to be an "I do all" oracle, as the GM explained. Some debuffs, some buffs, some combat. bit all over the place
Gunslinger: I forget the archtype, but he can melee attack and shoot in combat with a pistol, apparently bit of a tanky combat build.
Bard: new guy, hasn't developed character much

I've only had a few mins to look at class idea's but two i have looked at are:
Undine Warpriest (though after the elaboration on the gunslinger, may not need to be as tanky)

Drow (Seducer, Surface infiltrator, Ambitious Schemer) Cleric of Cayden Cailean (unknowingly)
Travel + Charm (lust subdomain) Chaotic neuteral

Play as a buffer/healer/Controller

GM is very conserned about the lack of healing.

Another idea I thought, though havent looked at at ALL is a Druid. It can heal, do well, and lots of nature abilities that may come in handy.
Could any one help with some druid ideas/tips, as I only know about 5th edition druids

Arbane
2015-03-05, 05:22 AM
Both a neutral Cleric and an Oracle get the Cure X Wounds spells for free, if they choose to. (They can take those or the Inflict X Wounds spells - Cure is usually better.)

The usual powergaming advice is to spend some party loot and buy a wand of Cure Light Wounds, and only use spells for in-combat healing when someone's about to die.

Spore
2015-03-05, 06:04 AM
Believe me, I play two oracles. Unless you have melees that literally run into the meat grinder (or have single digit AC) you are fine with healing.