PDA

View Full Version : I want to make tiffany aching as a character. From wee free men.

Rfkannen
2015-03-02, 10:25 PM
So i just finished rereading the tiffany aching series of books by terry prachet. And I was thinking about how the main character would work as a d&d character. What do you think?

I also tried rob anybody mc feegle. stout halfling crimanal berzerker barbarian 10. Rogue 3

William the Gonnagle would be a sage halfling valor bard 20

No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-than-Wee-Jock Jock would be a halfling sage lore bard 3

The toad is an awakened toad rogue. spy backround?

kaoskonfety
2015-03-03, 10:57 AM
Sadly the D&D system does very little to emulate the magic systems inherent to the Disc. I'm not deeply familiar with the Tiffany books (I've read Wee Free Men a while ago and none of the others) but I've read most of the rest of the Disc world stuff.

The spell caster versatility and the help that preparation and ritual allows lends to the Wizard class. The spell point system will probably get the feel closer than slots (though from time to time the Wizards outright reference 2nd ed spell slot style mechanics, these appear *mostly* to be one off jokes).

Witches get a more earthy feel overall though - I'd probably assume ritual caster wizard/1-3 level splash with levels of cleric (knowledge?), and/or Druid being the core.

I think I'd settle in at -
variant human -
Peasant hero
Primary class Druid
Ritual caster feat (for wizard or cleric? I'd need to take a long look at the spell lists)
Stats: wisdom > charisma > int > Dex > con > Str for stat priority (might switch around the Cha dex and con and int a bit - is she featured as tough more than I recall? ... but this feels ok)
Land druid
Reskin/adapt wildshape as Borrowing.

Warlocks in general would be strongly taboo (the world is weak enough around the edges without these... things butting in)

Sorcerer has a very clear and powerful underpinning setting wise... and would need at least a rename for fluff reasons or a total rewrite as "demi-god whose existence jeopardizes the universe"

Chronos
2015-03-04, 09:40 AM
In 5th edition, I'd probably just call Tiffany a wizard and be done with it. Yes, the Disc has a definite distinction between witchcraft and wizardry, but I don't think that 5e has enough different sorts of magic to really support that distinction. Tiffany, at least, definitely seems to be Int-based (though Granny Weatherwax is probably Wis-based and Nanny Ogg might be Cha), none of them really feels like a bard or warlock, and they're too subtle to be sorcerers.

In 3.5, I'd have made the witches beguilers, and called Eskarina an ultimate magus.

kaoskonfety
2015-03-04, 10:04 AM
In 5th edition, I'd probably just call Tiffany a wizard and be done with it. Yes, the Disc has a definite distinction between witchcraft and wizardry, but I don't think that 5e has enough different sorts of magic to really support that distinction. Tiffany, at least, definitely seems to be Int-based (though Granny Weatherwax is probably Wis-based and Nanny Ogg might be Cha), none of them really feels like a bard or warlock, and they're too subtle to be sorcerers.

In 3.5, I'd have made the witches beguilers, and called Eskarina an ultimate magus.

Nanny Ogg is now a Bard in my head cannon...the hedgehog is the most fortunate of animals...

Like I said - D&D doesn't do it "well".
Discworld magic is incredibly powerful, and dangerous, - D&D magic is often neither.
It takes the idea of "high magic" and is all like "you don't know high magic - our setting is so thick with the stuff you can outrun LIGHT, the world is literally a disc on 4 elephants on a turtle swimming in space and it wears reality so thin you can see the other side in places (do not look at the other side, you will not like what you see... or you will like it TOO much)"

3rd had far more options by the end to get the class closer, but c'est la vie.

Witches as Diviners and Abjurers with splash bard, druid and cleric (or vice versa variant on stat preference), being well rounded in your mentals is encouraged, multi classing common.
Wizards are... wizards. Evokers mostly, transmutation is also popular, but lazy, well fed evokers. Int favoured highly, charisma optional (some of them are quite social) - what is this "wisdom" you speak of? I need more constitution what with the poisonings and endurance testing eating!

Chronos
2015-03-04, 11:32 AM
Hmm, true, Gyntha does sing a lot.

kaoskonfety
2015-03-04, 11:52 AM
Hmm, true, Gyntha does sing a lot.

she's just not particularly good at it - expertise style powers (whatever the bard ones are called...) used on manipulation/social trickery skills, persuade, deception... hmm... not a bad fit at all

Ok so maybe it works better then I thought - just not the actual magic mechanics - those are less D&D and more Ars Magica with a dash or two of Call of Chthulu and Changling

Chronos
2015-03-04, 01:49 PM
Actually, is she good at singing? She's always off-key and too loud, but on the other hand, she's great at getting others to sing along, or to get songs stuck in their heads.

kaoskonfety
2015-03-04, 03:11 PM
Actually, is she good at singing? She's always off-key and too loud, but on the other hand, she's great at getting others to sing along, or to get songs stuck in their heads.

"manipulation/social trickery skills"

You don't need to be a good singer to get others to sing along - in my experience from Karaoke it actually hurts, alot.