PDA

View Full Version : Gray orc race

noce
2015-03-03, 04:50 AM
I'm starting as a player a FR campaign built in 3.5 and then adapted to 5e.
The DM told me there were gray orcs in the 3.5 version, but now he would replace them with non playable orcs.

I'm going to suggest to him to include gray orcs as a playable race with these traits:

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
(3.5 was +2 STR -2 INT +2 WIS -2 CHA)

Age and Size. Same as half orcs.

Alignment. Gray orcs are just as mean, savage, and barbaric as orcs, but the word of their tribal clerics is law. Gray orcs are typically chaotic, but lawul priests are not uncommon. Gray orcs don't get along well with anyone apart from their immediate tribe, and as a result few gray orcs are good hearted.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 ft.
(3.5 was 40 ft)

Superior Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
(they had no darkvision in 3.5, I set it to 120 to compensate light sensitivity)

Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
(converted from 3.5)

Keen Smell. Gray orcs have proficiency in the Perception skill, and they have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
(converted from scent)

Orcish Weapon Training. Gray orcs are proficient with the greataxe and longbow.
(same as 3.5)

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Orc.

What do you say? :smallsmile:

burninatortrog
2015-03-03, 06:40 AM
It certainly does not seem overpowered. I suggest either adding Superior Darkvision or removing Sunlight Sensitivity

Kryx
2015-03-03, 07:19 AM
It certainly does not seem overpowered. I suggest either adding Superior Darkvision or removing Sunlight Sensitivity
He has superior darkvision.

As he said though it wasn't there in 3.5.. I would figure out the flavor of Gray Orcs. Are they meant to carry torches and squint? Should they have darkvision?

I'm not convinced that they need superior darkvision unless they only live underground like Drow, but maybe in that case you should remove sunlight sensitivity. It all depends on the fluff.

Gwendol
2015-03-03, 07:27 AM
Nice!
Gray orcs were a nice addition as they made for decent rangers. I'm guessing Wood elves would be the benchmark here.

noce
2015-03-03, 07:29 AM
I'm not convinced that they need superior darkvision unless they only live underground like Drow, but maybe in that case you should remove sunlight sensitivity. It all depends on the fluff.

Yeah, maybe I could remove both darkvision and sensitivity, but then what to add? It lacks something flavourful and special.

NeoSeraphi
2015-03-03, 05:55 PM
For unique attributes, take a look at half-orcs. They have tons of cool stuff and theoretically orcs should share some of it.