PDA

View Full Version : Darkmaster (Undead PrC)

JellyPooga
2007-04-08, 08:32 PM
I just had this idea and haven't thought it through completely yet, but I thought I'd see a)what people thought and b)if they had any suggestions. I'll post a more complete and thought out version at a later date, but here's the preliminary:

Darkmaster (name may change)

Sandstorm there is described a rare substance called Black Sand, which emits Negative Energy and darkness (as the spell). The idea behind this PrC is that an Undead creature with flesh (i.e. no skeletal creatures or shadow creatures, etc.) could implant this substance into a series of tattoo-like designs on their person via a long process of complex rituals. This grants them super-supernatural endurance and a selection of powers based on the properties of Black Sand]

Requirements
Type: Undead (Note - must have flesh)
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Improved Toughness
Skills: Knowledge (arcana, religion, the panes) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Arcane Caster Level: 5th
Special: To gain the abilities of each level, you must perform a ritual during a new moon, involving implanting quantities of Black Sand into your Undead flesh. The cost of the materials needed for this ritual is equal to (500 x class level). The ritual also requires (X amount) of Black Sand. Performing this ritual takes 24 uninterrupted hours and requires a Craft (tattoo) check with DC (15 + class level). You may NOT hire someone to perform the Craft check for you, the ritual requires that the Darkmaster be in complete solitude for full 24 hours. If the ritual is interrupted, you must wait 24 hours before attempting it again (bearing in mind that the new moon only lasts 3 days at most). Until this ritual is performed (and it can only be performed after attaining a new level), the Darkmaster only gains Skill points and the increase in B.A.B and Base Saves.

HD: d12
Skill Points: 2+Int
Class Skills: Craft, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the Planes), Knowledge (religion), Hide, Move Silently, Spellcraft

B.A.B: Poor (As Wizard)
Fort: Poor
Ref: Poor
Will: Good

Spellcasting: +1 existing caster class every 3 levels
Fast Healing: The presence of a substance emitting negative energy within your flesh grants you the ability to heal at an astonishing rate. You gain Fast Healing 1 at 1st level. This increases by 1 every three levels (Fast Healing 2 at level 4, Fast Healing 3 at level 7 and Fast Healing 4 at level 10).
Darksight: Black Sand continually emits an inky blackness. The presence of this substance in your body grants you greater visual acuity in darkness. Unfortunately, this is at the cost of your ability to see in the light.

Level 1: Darkvision 90ft, Light Sensitivity
Level 2: Darkvision 120ft
Level 3: Darkvision 150ft, Light Blindness
Level 4: Darkvision 180ft, See in Magical Darkness 10ft
Level 5: Darkvision 210ft, SiMD 30ft
Level 6: Darkvision 240ft, SiMD 60t, Light Aversion
Level 7: See in Darkness Normally, SiMD 90ft, Lightvision 240ft
Level 8: SiDN, SiMD 120ft, Lightvision 180ft
Level 9: SiDN, SiMD 150ft, Lightvision 120ft, Light Anathaema
Level 10: SiDN, True Darkmaster, Lightvision 60ft

Darkvision: The Darkmasters Darkvision ability increases in range as per the above table.

See in Magical Darkness: At level 4, the Darkmaster gains the ability to see through magical darkness to a range indicated on the above table. At level 10, magical darkness (like normal darkness) has no effect on the Darkmaster.

Light Aversion: At level 6, the Darkmaster doubles all the penalties associated with his Light Blindness.

See in Darkness Normally: At level 7, the Darkmaster loses any Darkvision ability he may have but can now see in Darkness as if it were normal light (i.e. can see colour, can see to the horizon given that nothing is in the way, etc.).

Lightvision: At level 7, although the Darkmaster can now see in darkness as normal light, light takes on similar properties that the dark once held for the darkmaster. He can now only see in black and white when in an area of light and only out to the range indicated on the above table.

Light Anathaema: At level 9, the Darkmaster comes to fear the light. All penalties associated with his Light Blindness are quadrupled. When standing in an area of light, the Darkmaster loses his Fast Healing ability and whenever the Darkmaster is within an area of very bright light (midday sun, daylight spell, etc.) he takes 4 points of fire damage every round. Damage dealing spells with the Light descriptor are counted as being Empowered against a Darkmaster of this level (i.e. 1 1/2 times damage).

True Darkmaster: At level 10, the Darkmaster is truly a master of darkness. Spells with the Darkness descriptor have no effect on a Darkmaster of this level.

Darkblood: As time goes by, the Black Sand present within the Darkmasters flesh begins to alter the ichor that runs in his veins, transmuting it so that it absorbs light from the surrounding area. Whenever a Darkmaster of 4th level is dealt slashing or piercing damage, the blood that flows from it creates a 10ft radius area of darkness (as the spell), centred on the Darkmaster. This effect lasts until the Darkmaster regains 1 HP (normally until the Darkmasters next turn).
Improved Darkblood: The radius of the darkness effect increases to 30ft at level 6.

Greater Darkblood: At level 8, the darkness created by the Darkmaster being wounded is as per the Deeper Darkness spell and the radius increases to 60ft. The duration ramains the same.

Dire Darkblood: At level 10, whenever the Darkmaster is dealt slashing or piercing damage, a 120ft radius area, centred on the Darkmaster, is swathed in darkness (as deeper darkness) that eats away at the living. Any creature within the area takes 5d6 points of negative energy damage. This is the equivalent of an Xth level spell with the Darkness descriptor (and thus does not affect the Darkmaster himself).
Darkcaster: Whenever a Darkmaster of Xth level is within an area of darkness, his caster level for all spells, SLA's and Invocations is increased by his class level.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about as far as I've got for the mo. Pretty much all of the numbers I've given (whether for the level of an ability or a range or whatever) are more or less arbitary, so I'd appreciate any suggestions on those lines. I'd also appreciate advice on the balance of the class and the requirements to get into it.

I'm thinking that the class needs more to make it balanced (severe drop in caster prog for a switch in Darkvision, Fast Healing and a single poor ability isn't a fair trade IMO). I was thinking something along the lines of a Negative Energy touch attack (not usable on himself) and a some of Darkness based SLA's (perhaps something in the way of a Darkness Breath attack maybe...dunno though). At first I considered making it a Warlock PrC, but decided to make it open to all arcanists - having the Undead restriciton is tight enough as it is. The relevance of the last sentence is that I considered giving the class a couple of Darkmaster specific Invocations. Would it still be acceptable if I put those in anyway (given that any arcanist can go into the PrC)? Or would it be too weird to allow normal caster progression and gaining Invocations?

Some notes on the class:
I wanted most of the abilities to be accessible through the characters blood and release thereof. So the Darkblood ability is purposefully activated by the Darkmaster being wounded. Yes, I realise that he could carry a knife and have the ability activated permenantly by cutting his hand every round. This is intentional. I mentioned that I was considering giving a Touch Attack. This would be done by the Darkmaster cutting his hand and using the blood to cause damage. Other abilities I thought of include imbuing a weapon with blood to increase damage temporarily and leaving globdules of blood to make more permanent (than 1 round) areas of darkness.
I thought that perhaps these abilities could cause damage to the Darkmaster, kind of turning his HP into a pool of power points. But then, the Fast Healing (which is sort of the main feature of the class) would counteract this. It would mean that he would have to stay out of melee like all other casters though (even if FH:4 isn't an awful lot).

Matthew
2007-04-11, 06:37 PM
This does look interesting, but I am not sure whether it is balanced or not and it is badly in need of some fluff to help me envision what this Prestige Class represents.

JellyPooga
2007-04-23, 10:24 AM
O.k. I've decided to revisit this idea. I've had a think and here's what I've got. I need some criticism on pretty much everything, so please fire away. Ta.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Darkmaster

In the deepest depths of the largest deserts, a lost and weary traveller wil occasionally encounter the dire substance known only as Black Sand. This black material emits an aura of chill darkness that saps the strength of the living. Any living being caught for too long in its aura eventually dies, it's mortal remains becoming Black Sand itself. Evil creatures will sometimes seek out this substance for use in dark and macabre rituals, especally those involving the Undead, so it it is fortuante that it is rare indeed. Sometimes, however, a powerful Undead sorcerer or wizard will manage to obtain a significant quantity of this substance, which heals and strengthens their unholy body. Through a series of complex rituals, an Undead spellcaster can incorporate this black material into their undying flesh, with arcane tattoos inscribed with ink fashioned from blood mixed with Black Sand, lending them new levels of strength and endurance. Over time, the Black Sand fuses with the creatures flesh and the Undead becomes an anathema to light, his very presence blocking out the sun.

Hit Die: d12

Requirements
Type: Undead
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Improved Toughness
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 8 ranks, Craft (Tattoo) 5 ranks
Arcane Caster Level: 5th
Special: To gain the abilities of each level, you must perform a ritual during a new moon, involving implanting quantities of Black Sand into your Undead flesh. The cost of the materials needed for this ritual is equal to (500 x class level). The ritual also requires (X amount) of Black Sand. Performing this ritual takes 24 uninterrupted hours and requires a Craft (tattoo) check with DC (15 + class level). You may NOT hire someone to perform the Craft check for you, the ritual requires that the Darkmaster be in complete solitude for full 24 hours. If the ritual is interrupted, you must wait 24 hours before attempting it again (bearing in mind that the new moon only lasts 3 days at most). Until this ritual is performed (and it can only be performed after attaining a new level), the Darkmaster only gains Skill points and the increase in B.A.B and Base Saves.

Skill Points: 4+Int
Class Skills: Bluff, Craft, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the Planes), Knowledge (religion), Move Silently, Spellcraft, Tumble

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort.|Ref.|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Fast Healing 1, Darksight|+1 level of exisiting arcane spellcasting class
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Shadow Jump, Hide in Plain Sight|
3|+2|+1|+1|+3||+1 level of existing arcane spellcating class
4|+3|+1|+1|+4|Fast Healing 2, Darkblood|
5|+3|+1|+1|+4|Blood Caster|+1 level of existing arcane spellcating class
6|+4|+2|+2|+5|Strength of Shadows, Greater Darksight|
7|+5|+2|+2|+5|Fast Healing 3|+1 level of existing arcane spellcating class
8|+6|+2|+2|+6|Deeper Darkblood|
9|+6|+3|+3|+6||+1 level of existing arcane spellcating class
10|+7|+3|+3|+7|Fast Healing 4, Darkmaster|[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: No new proficiency with weapons or armour.

Spellcasting: Gain Spells/day, Spell Known (if applicable) and an increase in caster level as if also gained a level in a spellcasting class the Darkmaster belonged to before entering this Prc. Do not gain any other benefits of that class.

Fast Healing: Gain Fast Healing 1. Increases by 1 every 4 levels above 1st.

Darksight: Darkvision increases by 20ft/class level

Shadow Jump: At 2nd level, gain the Shadow Jump ability (as Shadowdancer). A Darkmaster has a maximum use of 20ft per class level per day (e.g. a 4th level Darkmaster can Shadow Jump up to 80ft per day).

Hide in Plain Sight: As Shadowdancer ability

Darkblood: (in progress: see OP for gist)

Blood Caster: At 5th level, the Darkmaster learns to use his blood to strengthen his spellcasting. As part of casting a spell, he may substitute any material component with a drop of his blood. To do so, he must cut his hand and sacrifice up to his class level in HP, adding an equal amount to his caster level for the purpose of determining any variables of that spell (e.g. a 6th level Darkmaster could sacrifice 5HP to add 5 to his caster level for that spell). Using this ability does not require a concentration check to successfully cast the spell (as is otherwise the norm for taking damage whilst trying to csat a spell). Using this ability activates the Darkmasters Darkblood ability.

Strength of Shadows: At 6th level, the Darkmaster gains a +2 Inherent bonus to Strength and Dexterity. This bonus increases to +4 at level 10.

Greater Darksight: At 6th level, the Darkmaster can see normally within his Darkvision range, even through magical darkness.

Deeper Darkblood: (see Darkblood)

Darkmaster: (in progress, capstone ability needed)