PDA

View Full Version : Can a non arcane caster qualify for improved familiar using eldritch heritage?

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-03, 08:00 PM
If a PC gains a familiar thought the arcane sorcerer bloodline using eldritch heritage can they then take the improved familiar feat?

The feat says, "for the purposes of using [this] power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level -2".

The improved familiars all require certain arcane spellcaster levels. Soooo I guess you can "us[e] this power" to fill the prerequisite of arcane spellcaster level with your character level as they count as sorcerer levels (-2) and sorcerer is an arcane spellcasting class.

Does this all fit together the way I believe it does or am I wearing the blinders of hope?

malonkey1
2015-03-03, 10:44 PM
If a PC gains a familiar thought the arcane sorcerer bloodline using eldritch heritage can they then take the improved familiar feat?

The feat says, "for the purposes of using [this] power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level -2".

The improved familiars all require certain arcane spellcaster levels. Soooo I guess you can "us[e] this power" to fill the prerequisite of arcane spellcaster level with your character level as they count as sorcerer levels (-2) and sorcerer is an arcane spellcasting class.

Does this all fit together the way I believe it does or am I wearing the blinders of hope?

Well, that's how my groups always interpret it.

Psyren
2015-03-03, 11:15 PM
Strictly as written no, because IEH says "For purposes of using that power" - you thus wouldn't have a caster level for any other purposes.

This is not the only interpretation, just the strictest one.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-03, 11:29 PM
Strictly as written no, because IEH says "For purposes of using that power" - you thus wouldn't have a caster level for any other purposes.

This is not the only interpretation, just the strictest one.

Aren't I using that power... To qualify for improved familiar? I don't mean twist semantics but doesn't using a power to qualify for a feat a traditional use of the word "using"?

Psyren
2015-03-03, 11:53 PM
Aren't I using that power... To qualify for improved familiar? I don't mean twist semantics but doesn't using a power to qualify for a feat a traditional use of the word "using"?

It's not qualifying for Improved Familiar that's the problem. It's that the effect of Improved Familiar depends on an attribute you don't actually have (i.e. an arcane spellcaster level.) So you have the feat, but you can't select any of the options, because your level only counts for the purposes of the familiar power from your bloodline, i.e. your regular familiar. The feat therefore does nothing.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-04, 12:06 AM
It's not qualifying for Improved Familiar that's the problem. It's that the effect of Improved Familiar depends on an attribute you don't actually have (i.e. an arcane spellcaster level.) So you have the feat, but you can't select any of the options, because your level only counts for the purposes of the familiar power from your bloodline, i.e. your regular familiar. The feat therefore does nothing.

Ahhhh. That makes sense. Thank you for pointing that out.

Damn, I really wanted to stick a Lyrakien familiar onto a character of mine without being forced to dip into other classes.