PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Challenge - Paragnostic Apostle early entry with little cheese

T.G. Oskar
2015-03-03, 10:24 PM
This is another "for fun" build, but this one has a pretty nice chance of working, so here goes:

Recently, I got an idea of mixing Malconvoker with Tome of Magic's Fiendbinder (the PrC that lets you use Truespeak to bind fiends to permanent service), mostly out of fluff reasons (someone got the Vital Pact book, which had the Truename annotation at the end, and "promoted" the character into binding fiends for purposes of fighting the good fight. While figuring which would be the best entry method, I figured that Archivist could do the job nicely (and with its spell selection, it'd be insanely good on its own, even with the loss of spell levels of both Malconvoker and Fiendbinder), and that pretty much evolved into a summoning build. Which at the end led to Paragnostic Apostle and its Call of Worlds class feature.

Now, the entry requirements are insanely easy, and with Archivist as a starter class (which has all Knowledge skills as class skills), it's even easier. Qualifying to enter the Paragnostic Assembly before 3rd level should be a cinch, since all you need is the right ability score (Archivists love both of the required ones) and ranks that you already need to enter Paragnostic Apostle, so both complement each other. The problem is the spellcasting requirement: you need to cast 3rd level spells or use 3rd level Spell-Like Abilities. That's the mitigating part.

However, it specifically says "spell-like abilities of equivalent (3rd) level", so that is where we can work. What races, or templates, grant the ability to cast at least one spell-like ability of 3rd level or higher, within the range of a Level Adjustment of +1? With that, you could get early entry into Paragnostic Apostle and net 2 class features from it, plus Lore (which fits the bill of the Archivist, if not by a lot). Feats aren't a choice because they're pretty much taken (for Augment Summoning and Spell Focus [conjuration], needed for entry into Malconvoker), unless you can do so with 1 feat (therefore making Humans, Strongheart Halflings and Silverbrow Humans a valid way to enter), so keep it in mind.

However, I want to try keeping the cheese to a minimum. Thus, try not to use content from Dragon magazine. I'd also want to refrain from using Savage Progressions from the Wizards' web archives, just in case (other content would be left to discretion). Because of the requirements, Heighten Spell + Earth Spell/Sanctum Spell is not a viable method either, and flaws would be left to discretion, so try not to rely on them. Other than that, be my guest.

So far, I got two ways to enter:
Aasimar, which gets Daylight as an SLA. +1 LA.
Half-Giant, with the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xen'drik. As a creature of the Giant type, the Half-Giant should be capable of qualifying. One of the template features is the ability to get Invisibility Purge at-will, which is another 3rd level spell.

Other than that...I'm drawing a blank. So - would you be nice chaps and, with your collective brainpower, help me to find alternative entries to Paragnostic Apostle before level 3 (with +1 level adjustment or not)?

Troacctid
2015-03-03, 10:55 PM
If you have darkness as a spell-like ability, the Intensify Darkness feat from Drow of the Underdark allows you to upgrade it to deeper darkness, which is equivalent to a 3rd level spell. That's my go-to early entry trick for Warlocks. Probably not what you're looking for as an Archivist.

Chronos
2015-03-03, 11:07 PM
How much spellcasting do you have at the target point? Could Illumian's auto-heighten work here?

Also, it's from Dragon, but there's a 0 LA giant, something cyclops, that you could apply Primordial Giant to.

T.G. Oskar
2015-03-03, 11:45 PM
If you have darkness as a spell-like ability, the Intensify Darkness feat from Drow of the Underdark allows you to upgrade it to deeper darkness, which is equivalent to a 3rd level spell. That's my go-to early entry trick for Warlocks. Probably not what you're looking for as an Archivist.

I thought of that too (and it'd be delicious irony), but requires an additional feat, and it ends up in a blind spot for the rules. Does work with Tieflings, though. Flaws would be discretionary, which could make for Tieflings, though.

How much spellcasting do you have at the target point? Could Illumian's auto-heighten work here?

Well, as it stands, Archivists are full spellcasters, so 2nd level spells at 3rd level. That said, if it's the Naenkrau word, that's +1 to save DC of the spell, not auto-heighten. The only other word I can see that behaves that way is Naenhoon, and Archivists don't get turn/rebuke undead uses. Otherwise, I don't see the trick.

Also: while it requires a flaw, by technicality, a dwarf with the Least Mark of Warding qualifies, since Fire Trap counts as a 4th level Sorcerer/Wizard spell, and the Mark of Warding doesn't specify which spell level it mimics, so it defaults to Sorcerer/Wizard for its spell save DC (ergo, for its spell level). Again, though, it requires an additional feat.

Troacctid
2015-03-04, 12:19 AM
Well, as it stands, Archivists are full spellcasters, so 2nd level spells at 3rd level. That said, if it's the Naenkrau word, that's +1 to save DC of the spell, not auto-heighten. The only other word I can see that behaves that way is Naenhoon, and Archivists don't get turn/rebuke undead uses. Otherwise, I don't see the trick.

That would be Improved Sigil (Krau), which takes a feat.

ben-zayb
2015-03-04, 09:07 AM
Are soulmelds SLA or Su? Blink Shirt has a "as Dimension Door" clause, which is a 4th level spell, so Shape Soulmeld might.

Chronos
2015-03-04, 09:53 AM
Oh, right, I forgot that the Illumian trick required a feat.

And I think that soulmelds are Su, but allow spell resistance anyway. They're weird that way.