PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Class ability wording issues.

XionUnborn01
2015-03-04, 01:31 AM
I'm working on a monkish type class and I'm having difficulty wording one of the abilities. Here's what I've got so far.

I'm not sure of the levels it will be gained at but you gain the effects of a magic item with a cost of up to (1000?)gp per level (not sure of exact value/level yet). If it has daily uses, you can use it that many times per day. If it has charges like a wand you can use it (Wis modifier I think) times per day.

There's got to be a more elegant way to put it, what do you guys think?

Also, is there any glaring issues that you guys see?

Jormengand
2015-03-04, 11:30 AM
ABILITY (Su/Sp)
From XTH level, the CLASS may acquire the effects of a single magic item, costing no more than 1000 gold pieces per CLASS level XE has. XE may choose this item anew after eight hours' rest, allowing HIR to gain the benefit of HIR new levels or to change out an unwanted magic item for another one.

Of course, some items are limited in use. When used with ABILITY, the following changes take effect:
A single-use item's effect may only used once per day.
A spell trigger item with charges (such as a wand) can be used a number of times per day equal to the CLASS's wisdom modifier.
An item with a number of uses per day can still be used that many times per day, as can non-spell trigger charged items.
At-will or continuous items are unaffected.

If an item is subject to another restriction on how often it can be used, that restriction should probably be unaffected. For example, an item that allows flight for 5 minutes per day, divided as you wish, should be kept as it is.

The CLASS doesn't need to take skill checks such as use magic device or truespeak to activate their magic item, but might need a skill check for the specific magic item's functionality.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-03-04, 02:31 PM
ABILITY (Su/Sp)
*Snip*

Good start. One addition I'd make: cutting charged and magic items with spell XP costs entirely. Otherwise we get edge cases where they can intentionally replicate almost empty charged items (like a Ring of Wishes with 1 wish remaining) to be able to access items they wouldn't (or shouldn't) normally be able to access.

XionUnborn01
2015-03-06, 11:58 AM
ABILITY (Su/Sp)

That works way better than what I had. The only change that I'd make is the ability to change it after rest. They'll gain this ability three or four times so they won't need to change it.

Good start. One addition I'd make: cutting charged and magic items with spell XP costs entirely. Otherwise we get edge cases where they can intentionally replicate almost empty charged items (like a Ring of Wishes with 1 wish remaining) to be able to access items they wouldn't (or shouldn't) normally be able to access.

I'm not exactly sure how to limit this. Are you saying that magic items that have spells with xp costs as components shouldn't be allowed? Do you think that the fact that the DM will need to allow it will mitigate the problem?

Zaydos
2015-03-06, 12:03 PM
Personally I'd disallow making partially charged items with the ability, and note that non-spell trigger charged items can be used Wis mod or their normal number of times per day whichever is less.

Ok actually when I made a class that could make temporary magic items it had this line "You may not create items which have charges, or limited uses (including magic ammunition), which are not recharged on a daily or shorter basis."

XionUnborn01
2015-03-06, 05:07 PM
Personally I'd disallow making partially charged items with the ability, and note that non-spell trigger charged items can be used Wis mod or their normal number of times per day whichever is less.

Ok actually when I made a class that could make temporary magic items it had this line "You may not create items which have charges, or limited uses (including magic ammunition), which are not recharged on a daily or shorter basis."

That makes sense actually. The ability won't actually create anything, they will just be able to use the item.

Hmm. I'm going to put together the wording and see what you guys think.

XionUnborn01
2015-03-06, 05:30 PM
Ancestor's Favor (Su/Sp)
At 4th, 7th, and 10th level the CLASS may acquire the effects of a single magic item, costing no more than 1000 gold pieces per CLASS level. This item has no physical appearance, it simply imbues the CLASS with the effects. They may choose any item within the following rules that meets the DM's discretion.

The item must be an item the CLASS could wear on their body, such as a ring, cloak, etc.
Any item that normally has a set amount charges instead has daily charges equal to the CLASS's Wisdom Modifier OR if the item's charges were renewed daily, use the original item's number of charges, whichever is fewer.
Any item that has a set amount of time it can be used per day, such as the boots of speed's 10 rounds of haste per day, is unaffected.
The GP cost used must be the cost for a new, unmodified item with full charges.
Any at-will or continuous items are unaffected in their use.
The item must be able to be used without a phsyical manifestation, for example, the CLASS couldn't pick a Bag of Holding because it must be their to have the item put into it but it could choose an amulet because the magic doesn't require the amulet to be there.

So how does that look so far folks?

Zaydos
2015-03-06, 06:50 PM
Could you choose a scroll?

XionUnborn01
2015-03-06, 08:49 PM
I would tend towards no on the scroll. My goal is for this ability to cover the things that the class can't afford with normal WBL because they'll be melee, or for them to get items they might not otherwise pick up.