PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Converting CR and PC level

jazzymantis
2015-03-04, 02:51 AM
So I am trying to build an encounter where my level 1 PC's are protecting a family of about 4-5 people (2-3 adults). The adults will be helping defend the kids, and I wanted to have a possibility of some of some of them dying. I am having a hard time figuring out how to factor in the adults (CR 0 commoners) will have an effect on the encounter rating. Would 3 commoners add 30xp to one side of an encounter, so I could evenly add 30xp to the other side? or is there a better way of calculating it.

I was planning on just adding one extra zombie or other CR1/4 creature to compensate for the help, does this work?

I might be planning on using this later on as well, and branching out beyond humans, so a general way to transfer X creatures of X xp into X PC level would be ideal.

What if one of my characters got a mastiff (CR 1/8), hippogriff (CR1), a Shield guardian (CR7) or som other ally? how would I factor that into encounters?

Thank you all! :smallbiggrin:

pwykersotz
2015-03-04, 08:29 AM
This is just my own method, not based on the rules, merely in my observations on how the rules play out. I spitball a PC as about equal in power to a creature 2 CR steps beneath them. So a level 1 PC is a CR 1/4, a level 3 is a CR 1, etc.

If I ever make a PC to pit against the party I would break down their CR based on the DMG tables, but adding a monster, I'd probably say that a single CR 1/8 should be ignored.

Remember though, the basic rule is that if something is of substantial help, it gets a share of the exp. So if you rule it was useful, just divide the exp by party + helpers to see what each person gets. So it's really not necessary to figure out exact CR, just whether the creature actually helped. If you have a few very low CR creatures helping, you might consider counting them as one to avoid giving the party a very low reward for a tough encounter.

I hope this helps. :smallsmile:

Shining Wrath
2015-03-04, 10:38 AM
A CR N creature is supposed to be a moderately difficult (normal) encounter for a party of 4.

So if your PC is of level L:

Look up the XP for a monster of CR == L.
Compute pcXP = XP/4.
Read backwards on the XP by CR table to find the CR that matches pcXP.

That's the CR of a PC of that level. You may need to make adjustments for high level full casters (a Wizard is going to use Wish if the alternative is death, and a Wish can seriously interfere with a party's plans), but to get you started, the above heuristic should suffice.

heavyfuel
2015-03-04, 10:52 AM
I've been using the ole 3.x method of Level = CR, and it has worked really well so far.

jazzymantis
2015-03-04, 01:30 PM
This is just my own method, not based on the rules, merely in my observations on how the rules play out. I spitball a PC as about equal in power to a creature 2 CR steps beneath them. So a level 1 PC is a CR 1/4, a level 3 is a CR 1, etc.

Thank you! This does help. I think I have a good idea on how to do the reverse.
As for xp share, I was planning on giving them more xp for more alive family members.