PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Concealment and sneak attack question

Shnigda
2015-03-04, 12:07 PM
Hi guys, basic question here...
I am playing a rogue with a Mithralmist Shirt (must have item for a rogue IMO, but would gladly be corrected for something better). This shirt lets me use the spell Obscuring Mist 7 times per day.
My question is if the concealment I gain from being 5ft away from the enemy when in melee range allows me to deal sneak attack damage or not.
Thoughts?

JohnDaBarr
2015-03-04, 12:47 PM
Hi guys, basic question here...
I am playing a rogue with a Mithralmist Shirt (must have item for a rogue IMO, but would gladly be corrected for something better). This shirt lets me use the spell Obscuring Mist 7 times per day.
My question is if the concealment I gain from being 5ft away from the enemy when in melee range allows me to deal sneak attack damage or not.
Thoughts?

Partial concealment does not allow you to Sneak Attack but total concealment does. Still you can use hide and move silently in the mist to move around an attack your opponent but this usually means you wont be able to attack every turn.

A simple and cheap way to get sneak attack is to use a melee weapon that has a Wand Chamber and in it you put a wand of Swift Invisibility (ofc you need to max your UMD). If you have two weapons then that means you have two wands to use and good options are Wraith Strike, Swift Expeditious Retreat, buff spells and other swift spells. Note that you will burn through the charges fast but luckily wands are not that expensive and also that this method becomes less reliable on higher lvl's but once there you get access to other stuff.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-04, 07:40 PM
Partial concealment does not allow you to Sneak Attack but total concealment does.
That's not correct.
The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot.
Total Concealment
If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. Total concealment means you can't see the target, which means sneak attack is disqualified.

The Mithralmist Shirt alone doesn't let you Hide, because its concealment doesn't keep your enemies from seeing you.
If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. You need something like the Mithralmist Shirt and Hide in Plain Sight to satisfy the requirements to be allowed to use the Hide skill.

JohnDaBarr
2015-03-06, 03:44 AM
That's not correct. Total concealment means you can't see the target, which means sneak attack is disqualified.

The Mithralmist Shirt alone doesn't let you Hide, because its concealment doesn't keep your enemies from seeing you. You need something like the Mithralmist Shirt and Hide in Plain Sight to satisfy the requirements to be allowed to use the Hide skill.

eeer damn, for some reason I thought that Mithralmist Shirt casts normal obscuring mist around the wearer but apparently it only does that on ONE square he is currently in...

You are correct, I was trying to make a point that if the attacker has total concealment from his target but can normally see and reach the target he get the opportunity to sneak attack. But apparently this isn't the case where one can hide in a mist that does not obscure his vision.

Andezzar
2015-03-06, 04:09 AM
The Mithralmist Shirt alone doesn't let you Hide, because its concealment doesn't keep your enemies from seeing you. You need something like the Mithralmist Shirt and Hide in Plain Sight to satisfy the requirements to be allowed to use the Hide skill.Well with (most if not) all Su forms of HiPS you wouldn't need the shirt anyways as they already waive the need for concealment to use the hide skill. The Ex forms of HiPS usually are accompanied by another ability that waives the need for concealment (e.g. Ranger Camouflage and HiPS).