PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Pronounce "Pwned"?

Palanan
2015-03-04, 01:05 PM
I don't think I've actually heard it spoken. I've always assumed "pooned," but I'd like to know for certain.

Also, clarifications on usage would be appreciated.

Eloel
2015-03-04, 01:09 PM
I usually go with Pawned, though ymmv obviously.

Pwned is a 13375P34K version of the word "owned", as in "I owned you in this game". That's why "pawned", which sounds like p-owned, seems appropriate to me.

SaintRidley
2015-03-04, 01:11 PM
Like owned (its etymon), but with a p.

Zyzzyva
2015-03-04, 01:25 PM
Past tense of "pone".

Krade
2015-03-04, 02:13 PM
I always assumed it started out as a typo and (for some reason) gained an inordinate amount of popularity among douche-y gamers.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's pronounced like owned but with a 'p' in front.

Spiryt
2015-03-04, 02:55 PM
Can't say I've said it more than like 2 times, but roughly just like that 'p-v-n-e-d'.
'
It sounds stupid, and that's kinda whole point I guess.

Hyena
2015-03-04, 03:01 PM
I always assumed it started out as a typo and (for some reason) gained an inordinate amount of popularity among douche-y gamers.
It actually started as a way around the chat filters that blocked the word "owned".

I pronounce it as "pawned".

Crow
2015-03-04, 03:08 PM
I always pronounced it "poned".

Iruka
2015-03-04, 03:19 PM
I usually go with Pawned, though ymmv obviously.

Pwned is a 13375P34K version of the word "owned", as in "I owned you in this game". That's why "pawned", which sounds like p-owned, seems appropriate to me.

Heh, apparently I pronounced "pawn" incorrectly all those years.

As for "pwned", I always pronounce it "pwned".

Krade
2015-03-04, 03:19 PM
It actually started as a way around the chat filters that blocked the word "owned".
That's an even dumber reason for it's existence than I thought. Why the hell would a chat filter block 'owned'?

Hyena
2015-03-04, 03:34 PM
Because "owned" is basically a rape joke told in one word, people are overly sensitive and tolerance for profanity used to be much lower 15 years ago than it is now. At least, that's what I think.

Razanir
2015-03-04, 03:43 PM
/pond/ or /poʊnd/

Bulldog Psion
2015-03-04, 03:53 PM
I pronounce it "Poned."

I have no particular reason for this other than convenience.

Nai_Calus
2015-03-04, 03:53 PM
Owned with a p at the front. Like proned without the r.

BannedInSchool
2015-03-04, 04:02 PM
It's not derived from the Welsh? Aww. :smallfrown:

Closet_Skeleton
2015-03-04, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it was pronounced 'owned' back in 2002...

Valameer
2015-03-04, 08:38 PM
Because "owned" is basically a rape joke told in one word, people are overly sensitive and tolerance for profanity used to be much lower 15 years ago than it is now. At least, that's what I think.

Pwned is simply a common typo, not originally a filter bypass. I have trouble believing the word 'own' has ever been filtered from a chat.

Also, I'm pretty sure that 15 years ago the world was a lot more tolerant of profanity and dealt with sensitive subject matter more crudely than would be tolerable today. We're far safer from triggers than we were in 2000. In 2000 it was all about being as edgy as you could be, as far as the zeitgeist went.

Well, according to my memory, anyway.

And I've always pronounced it just like "owned" starting with a P sound. "Poned." Or sometimes, a variant is to make the D into a T sound, as in "pwnt."

danixdefcon5
2015-03-04, 11:20 PM
Pwned is simply a common typo, not originally a filter bypass. I have trouble believing the word 'own' has ever been filtered from a chat.
Yup. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, we were all playing Quake, Quake2 and Quake3 with its multiple multiplayer mods and "owned" was a common word during matches. Some would 13375p34k as "0wn3d" as well.
But in the heat of the moment, sometimes players would mistype some of the words, especially when under fire. This led to fun typos like "HEKP" ... and obviously, "pwned". The latter one basically overtook the original owned/0wn3d spelling due to memetic mutation and has remained in gamer culture ever since. It has also permeated down to the hacker culture as well.

Knaight
2015-03-04, 11:34 PM
I don't use the term. That said, when reading it I have it rhyme with "owned", but with a p. That's actually a different pronunciation than "Pawned", which is probably a regional dialect. There's a long o sound, "Pawned" has a short a locally.

Mauve Shirt
2015-03-05, 12:09 AM
Pwned rhymes with owned. Poned.

BWR
2015-03-05, 01:02 AM
Best answer: you don't pronounce it.

Max™
2015-03-05, 06:58 AM
Best answer: you don't pronounce it.

Yeah, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're seriously trying to say "pwned" to someone out loud, something has gone terribly wrong.

Palanan
2015-03-05, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by MaxTM
...if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're seriously trying to say "pwned" to someone out loud, something has gone terribly wrong.

Like I said, I don't think I've ever heard it spoken. But is there any particular reason why someone wouldn't say it out loud?

As far as pronunciation, the strong consensus seems to be for "poned," which makes sense. Now I'm trying to decide if it would be funnier for a character to mispronounce it as "pooned," just to highlight how far they are from internet gamer culture.

Coidzor
2015-03-05, 11:31 AM
Past tense of "pone".

It's when you've already thrown corn pone at someone, after all.

Bulldog Psion
2015-03-05, 12:01 PM
Now I'm trying to decide if it would be funnier for a character to mispronounce it as "pooned," just to highlight how far they are from internet gamer culture.

Depends on how blue you're working, I suppose. Actually, I'm rather surprised that word isn't filtered on this forum.

Palanan
2015-03-05, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion
Depends on how blue you're working, I suppose. Actually, I'm rather surprised that word isn't filtered on this forum.

Now I'm just confused, because until this thread I hadn't realized there were any particular associations with the word, apart from "beaten in a video game."

I've seen it on a local license plate--I PWND U, or something similar--so on the rare occasions when I've thought about it, I figured it was more of a general chest-thumping term.

Eldariel
2015-03-05, 12:54 PM
Simply with a syllabic /w/. So pwnd, more or less (monosyllabic with a silent /e/). I think it's also possible to pronounce it in a disyllabic manner with a schwa forming a syllable with /p/ with a syllabic /n/.

EDIT: Typing on phones is hard.

Knaight
2015-03-05, 01:22 PM
Yeah, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're seriously trying to say "pwned" to someone out loud, something has gone terribly wrong.

If you hear as you read, you're still going to have a pronunciation though, even if you never actually use the word. It's also something I could see using in a sarcastic context, particularly if you're taking a pot shot at some aspect of gamer culture that is currently annoying you.

alaalba_123
2015-03-05, 02:49 PM
Now I'm just confused, because until this thread I hadn't realized there were any particular associations with the word, apart from "beaten in a video game."

I've seen it on a local license plate--I PWND U, or something similar--so on the rare occasions when I've thought about it, I figured it was more of a general chest-thumping term.

The pronunciation mentioned in the post you replied to sounds exactly like a somewhat inappropriate term for part of the female anatomy.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-05, 03:05 PM
Pwned is a 13375P34K version of the word "owned", as in "I owned you in this game". That's why "pawned", which sounds like p-owned, seems appropriate to me. Pawned? Why not powned? Which sounds exactly like owned, with a p.

The term exists because p is next to o on the keyboard. And fast typing.

danzibr
2015-03-05, 06:35 PM
Like I said, I don't think I've ever heard it spoken. But is there any particular reason why someone wouldn't say it out loud?

As far as pronunciation, the strong consensus seems to be for "poned," which makes sense. Now I'm trying to decide if it would be funnier for a character to mispronounce it as "pooned," just to highlight how far they are from internet gamer culture.

Personally I think, as others have said, it's like owned with a p on the front. I say pawned for fun though. I might start pooned :P

nyjastul69
2015-03-05, 07:55 PM
I've always pronounced it owned, it's just used in certain contexts. I've never actually heard any attempt to actually pronounce it though.

Max™
2015-03-06, 04:12 AM
That's why I added "seriously trying to say", asking "hey, how do you think 'pwned' would be said" is perfectly reasonable.

Shouting over voice chat to someone about how "I PWNED YOU!" is awful.

Feytalist
2015-03-06, 04:23 AM
Back when I was still active in online gaming, pwned evolved into pawned (which is how we pronounced it).

Which then evolved into prawned.

Which then evolved into: -=;;;"

Yeah.

Bulldog Psion
2015-03-06, 05:54 AM
That's why I added "seriously trying to say", asking "hey, how do you think 'pwned' would be said" is perfectly reasonable.

Shouting over voice chat to someone about how "I PWNED YOU!" is awful.

Considering that I "hear" what I'm reading in my mind, said awfulness is visited on me every time I see it typed.

Torzini
2015-03-06, 06:05 AM
I had a friend in college who used to yell Pwned!!!! (rhymes with owed) all the time, now I can hear it no other way.

Cespenar
2015-03-06, 06:13 AM
"Pawned" doesn't sound as annoying as "pvnt", so I go with the latter.

RabbitHoleLost
2015-03-06, 07:29 AM
Like pony
But without the Y
And with a D

Mauve Shirt
2015-03-06, 10:25 AM
What I find amusing (because I'm easily amused) is that in the traditional game of Cribbage (shut up) one's opponent is called "'pone'" as a shortening thereof (I'm not lying, you people who would accuse me of doing so, who know who you are) so when I play Cribbage I am seeking to pwn the pone.

It's an antique English drinking game, it's full of stupid things.

The_Ditto
2015-03-06, 01:03 PM
"Bob".

It's my fallback for all things I have no idea how to pronounce :smallbiggrin:

Case in point: I pronounce this word "Bob" ... my life is so much simpler :)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/top-ten-lists/top-10-words-with-confusing-pronunciations/schadenfreude.html

alaalba_123
2015-03-12, 11:50 PM
"Bob".

It's my fallback for all things I have no idea how to pronounce :smallbiggrin:

Case in point: I pronounce this word "Bob" ... my life is so much simpler :)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/top-ten-lists/top-10-words-with-confusing-pronunciations/schadenfreude.html

That's gonna confuse people you're talking to. Also, shaw as in shot, den as in den, froid as in Sigmund Freud.

shaw-den-froid

Feytalist
2015-03-13, 03:53 AM
That's gonna confuse people you're talking to. Also, shaw as in shot, den as in den, froid as in Sigmund Freud.

shaw-den-froid

In German, the trailing "e" is not silent.

007_ctrl_room
2015-03-14, 02:03 PM
like edgar allen POWNED

Socratov
2015-03-15, 11:19 AM

shaw-den-froid

In German, the trailing "e" is not silent.

As a native speaker of the next closest thing (Dutch), I can confirm it's pronounced Sha (rhymes with Ska) den (rhymes with dun-dun-dunnnnnn) freu (as in Sigmund Freud) de (rhymes with the).

easy right?

thebestappgames
2015-03-16, 06:53 AM
don't pronounce.. lolz

Cyber Punk
2015-03-16, 07:11 AM
To be honest, I didn't even know pwned had a pronunciation. It's like asking for the pronunciation of HAXX0R3D.

Huh, come to think about it, I pronounce it hax-or. Like hacksaw.

So, Pwned - p-owned, only the P is silent.

JustSomeGuy
2015-03-16, 12:04 PM
On 'cribbage' and other matters:

1 - google cribbage

2 - eyeball the two pictures and the accompanying sagas of text

3 - realise that cribbage may well be the least appropriate activity to acompany drinking next to 'chainsaw limbo', only instead of messy death you risk utter confusion

Tvtyrant
2015-03-17, 02:13 PM
I believe you just say owned... Since pwned was originally a misspelling and was absorbed by l33ts3Ak.

danzibr
2015-03-19, 05:00 PM
don't pronounce.. lolz
I prnounce that like falls, but with an l on the front.

Palanan
2015-03-21, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Just About Everyone
*like phones without the ph*

I think we've come to a general consensus on this point, or at least found the most common pronunciation.

Originally Posted by Valameer
We're far safer from triggers than we were in 2000.

This is the one thing that puzzles me in this thread. I have no idea what this means.

What are these "triggers"? Why do you need to be safe from them? Who is it who makes you safe, and how?

:smallconfused:

Jaycemonde
2015-03-25, 03:01 AM
Considering owned/pwned is kinda creepy in implication, it's being phased out in favor of "rekt" (doesn't imply your badonk belongs to the person who wiped the floor with you, still crude enough to be a good trash talk insult) in recent years. And yes, we all know that isn't the proper spelling. Intentional bastardizations/misspellings and unnecessary abbreviations are all part of the fun.

This is the one thing that puzzles me in this thread. I have no idea what this means.

What are these "triggers"? Why do you need to be safe from them? Who is it who makes you safe, and how?

:smallconfused:

There's a whole thread full of people who can explain what triggers are and why they're guarded against. To sum it up, just think of all the crap that gets your blood boiling and that always seems to start arguments on forums and stuff.

Eonas
2015-04-08, 06:47 PM
How do you pronounce "Pwned"? Ideally, you don't.

Anarion
2015-04-08, 06:54 PM
After reading through this thread, I've decided that from here on out, I'm going to pronounce it like "ponied." :smallbiggrin:

Cyber Punk
2015-04-09, 05:17 PM
How do you pronounce "Pwned"? Ideally, you don't.

Well said.

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-09, 07:02 PM
I pronounce it "bone" but with a "p" instead of a "b" and a "d" at the end.