PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice for finding a new job.

Egneil
2015-03-04, 01:38 PM
As the title says, I'm looking to find a new job. However my current job was received through family references, so I'm not really sure how to do job searches. Trying to look up jobs on the internet just seems to lead me around in a circle from job search agency to job search agency, and the only job applications I was able to find were for things I'm not qualified for.

Really I'm just wondering if anyone knows about some good sites for job searches around the Minneapolis area, or really any advice for finding a better job, or at least one with more hours.

Krade
2015-03-04, 07:37 PM
It's been said that finding a new job should be considered a full time job. You should be dedicating 30-40 hours every week to finding a job. The internet isn't (or at least shouldn't be) your only resource. Your local newspaper will have job listings as well. If your town has an "alternative paper" (like Indianapolis' NUVO (http://www.nuvo.net/)), they generally have listings as well, if not as many. Find a job fair. Walk around your local commercial district. There's probably a bunch of other strategies I'm sure I'm missing, but you get the idea.

Also, the most important piece of advice for anyone that NEEDS a job: You are NOT too good for a low level service industry position. If you can't find anything better, then you gotta take what you can get because it's either that or live with your parents forever.

sleepy hedgehog
2015-03-05, 01:56 AM
First a few questions.

Will your current job be available for the near future?

Different time-frames call for different advice.

Second question, what is your skill set?

You must be good/have experience at something.
Knowing this can help narrow down the best places to look.

The first step is basic preparation.

Write a resume you're happy with.

Decide what you are looking for, make a few lists:

Things you want to do that you have the skill set for
Things you want to do that are stretch goals/you could learn given some time
Things that you don't really want to do but would be willing
Things you are unwilling to do. Reconsider this list, if push comes to shove, what would you be willing to do?

Next, make a linkedIn account.

It's a good place to look for jobs.
Additionally employers use it, providing a passive job search.

Next step, go to your nearest unemployment office. What you are going through is literally why they exist.

I think this is the site ---> http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/workforce-centers/workforce-center-locations
They know all the career fairs that are happening.
They have a database of local jobs.
They will help with your resume.
They have training and workshops.

Some more general advise I've found when I was between jobs:

I never had success with job search agencies, but if you are using them, know what you are looking for first.

My only advise is, tell them to send you a copy of any changes they make to your resume.
I've heard many stories about them adding skills you don't have to get an additional interview.

Go to Google and search: "company name" careers. Of any companies you know of in the area that you are interested in.

Lots of jobs can only be found on their company page.

At job fairs, if they say apply online, and take your resume. Apply online.

Especially with the government, everyone needs to be on equal footing, so giving them a resume is insufficient.

If your skills set is close-ish but you don't meet every requirement, go ahead and apply anyway.

When a company says "XXX is a requirement", it's often "we would prefer that you know XXX"
It never hurts to apply. If you get 19 no's and 1 yes, you're better off than the person who didn't apply for the 20 jobs.

Talk to friends and aquantences.

They often have advise and suggestions.
I feel like I remember reading the friends of your friends, are mostly likely to have an opportunity for you.

If you went to college, talk to them

Often the college itself, or the alumni association have job leads you can follow

Don't get discouraged.

Getting lots of no's is common. It only takes one success though.

And seriously, go to the unemployment office. They are super friendliest and helpful.

Madcrafter
2015-03-05, 03:15 AM
If you got your current job though family, is it possible to find another one through them?

Even if not directly, leveraging your family, especially if you have a large one, by letting them know you are looking for a job could turn up all sorts of things. Maybe the son of your aunt's high school friend works for exactly the company you're looking for, or something like that.

Egneil
2015-03-05, 09:31 AM
First a few questions.

Will your current job be available for the near future?

Different time-frames call for different advice.

Second question, what is your skill set?

You must be good/have experience at something.
Knowing this can help narrow down the best places to look.

The first step is basic preparation.

Write a resume you're happy with.

Decide what you are looking for, make a few lists:

Things you want to do that you have the skill set for
Things you want to do that are stretch goals/you could learn given some time
Things that you don't really want to do but would be willing
Things you are unwilling to do. Reconsider this list, if push comes to shove, what would you be willing to do?

Next, make a linkedIn account.

It's a good place to look for jobs.
Additionally employers use it, providing a passive job search.

Next step, go to your nearest unemployment office. What you are going through is literally why they exist.

I think this is the site ---> http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/workforce-centers/workforce-center-locations
They know all the career fairs that are happening.
They have a database of local jobs.
They will help with your resume.
They have training and workshops.

Some more general advise I've found when I was between jobs:

I never had success with job search agencies, but if you are using them, know what you are looking for first.

My only advise is, tell them to send you a copy of any changes they make to your resume.
I've heard many stories about them adding skills you don't have to get an additional interview.

Go to Google and search: "company name" careers. Of any companies you know of in the area that you are interested in.

Lots of jobs can only be found on their company page.

At job fairs, if they say apply online, and take your resume. Apply online.

Especially with the government, everyone needs to be on equal footing, so giving them a resume is insufficient.

If your skills set is close-ish but you don't meet every requirement, go ahead and apply anyway.

When a company says "XXX is a requirement", it's often "we would prefer that you know XXX"
It never hurts to apply. If you get 19 no's and 1 yes, you're better off than the person who didn't apply for the 20 jobs.

Talk to friends and aquantences.

They often have advise and suggestions.
I feel like I remember reading the friends of your friends, are mostly likely to have an opportunity for you.

If you went to college, talk to them

Often the college itself, or the alumni association have job leads you can follow

Don't get discouraged.

Getting lots of no's is common. It only takes one success though.

And seriously, go to the unemployment office. They are super friendliest and helpful.

Thanks for the list of advice,:smallbiggrin: this should prove to be useful. And to answer your first two questions:

The job isn't likely to go away anytime soon, but it's only part-time so it's more about more time=more money.
I'm pretty good at math, and my current job is retail. Beyond that though, I don't really know what skills I should add to the resume and which ones are expected and would look like padding.

As for the rest of your advice on the unemployment office, I guess just thought it was only for people who lost their jobs. I guess that it's more of a forum for employers to get a bunch of workers.

Tiffanie Lirle
2015-03-05, 09:39 AM
As the title says, I'm looking to find a new job. However my current job was received through family references, so I'm not really sure how to do job searches.

I assume you can use free websites such as Monster to look for open positions. There's a ton of them and I have personally had good experiences with them, at least with the European counterparts. Unless you're practicing a trade in which case things like the ebay-classifieds could be of good use.

Heck, check the newspaper. Nobody looks in the newspaper anymore. :smallwink:

JusticeZero
2015-03-05, 05:35 PM
Also, most important? Talk to people. Not with a resume in your hand, but in conversation. Word of mouth is very effective for getting jobs.

themaque
2015-03-06, 04:57 PM
If you find a job that requires a level of education but you have actual experience, APPLY! Experience CAN replace education.

Ornithologist
2015-03-06, 07:36 PM
I am also currently looking for another job, but here is some advise that has helped me previously.

Write an individual cover letter for each application/resume you fill out. - The resume is what you know, the cover letter is to talk yourself up.
References are key. If your current employer knows your looking, ask for a reference! (if they don't know, don't tell them. It might make work harder than necessary.)
When you drop an application off somewhere, make sure you give it to either the hiring manager, the HR rep, or who ever is currently in charge. Get the HR rep, or Hiring managers name and phone number.
When you have the above info: use it. Call them after a few days and ask them if they have had a chance to look over your resume or application. I have gotten at least 3 separate long term jobs for this exact thing.
always apply to jobs that you are just slightly under qualified for. (you have 3 years of experience in a field and they want 5 etc.) You will have to be trained on the job anyway, so why not.
Spelling and Grammar count. If you have a tough time with it, get help with someone you know is good at it.

I have been a hiring manager myself in several jobs, and these have all been things that I looked for in people applying to me.

Good Luck!

Crow
2015-03-06, 08:34 PM
Also, the most important piece of advice for anyone that NEEDS a job: You are NOT too good for a low level service industry position. If you can't find anything better, then you gotta take what you can get because it's either that or live with your parents forever.

I'll agree with this.

The important thing is to get working. If you deserve better, your skills, effort, and persistence will take you there; but you have to start somewhere. It's much easier to find better work when you already have a job, so don't tell your employer you're leaving just yet.

Heck, check the newspaper. Nobody looks in the newspaper anymore. :smallwink:

Also this. I've had WAY better hit rates from the newspaper than any digital job source.