PDA

View Full Version : Movies Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

theNater
2015-03-04, 02:38 PM
There's a new trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo) out. What's everybody think?

Malimar
2015-03-04, 03:05 PM
My one fear is that it could get too cluttered with characters, between the Avengers themselves plus War Machine and Falcon, Nick Fury and Maria Hill, Ultron, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, Vision, Loki, von Strucker, Ulysses Klaw, etc.

But it's Joss Whedon, it's Marvel Studios, it's a sequel to my favorite MCU movie -- I'm sure it'll be stellar, despite that one misgiving.

theskorpionking
2015-03-04, 03:40 PM
Now I want to see it even more. It will make a nice day before my birthday present.

Bulldog Psion
2015-03-04, 03:57 PM
Looks like it's going to be quite -- busy.

Berserk Mecha
2015-03-04, 04:05 PM
It's a nice trailer, but I think I'm getting a little, uh, avenger'd out at this point. I'm sure that the movie will be of similar quality as the rest of the MCU but it's growing a little stale for me at the moment. At least Guardians of the Galaxy kept it fresh by being balls to the wall crazy.

GloatingSwine
2015-03-04, 04:27 PM
My one fear is that it could get too cluttered with characters, between the Avengers themselves plus War Machine and Falcon, Nick Fury and Maria Hill, Ultron, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, Vision, Loki, von Strucker, Ulysses Klaw, etc.

But it's Joss Whedon, it's Marvel Studios, it's a sequel to my favorite MCU movie -- I'm sure it'll be stellar, despite that one misgiving.

I'm also worried that there will simply be too many characters, Vision might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back, because they appear to be setting up a changing loyalties story for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, but that's also Vision's story, so I'm not sure how well that's all going to happen at once.

It's possible the movie will just be two hours of punching and Whedonisms, that didn't seem to hurt people's opinions of the first one too much, but I'd kind of like a story or something too.

Tyrant
2015-03-04, 05:03 PM
because they appear to be setting up a changing loyalties story for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, but that's also Vision's story,
I have tried to avoid things other than the previews so if this has been established elsewhere then ignore this. Do we know that will actually be Vision's story? I know that is his comic origin, but will that be his movie origin? Couldn't he just as easily be a last ditch plan by Stark to stop Ultron? Or Ultron decides to liberate his "brother" Jarvis so he gives him an awesome body and comes to find out Jarvis has no intentions of fighting Stark. In that scenario there's no changing loyalty, just Jarvis becoming Vision and remaining loyal to Stark. Or Stark downloads Jarvis into an advanced body they find out Ultron has built.

Legato Endless
2015-03-04, 05:12 PM

In fairness, I'm think it's less likely we'll see the narrative clogged by an excess of characters and more half of these people aren't going to play much a role beyond mild cameos. Fury might just get that one house scene, Strucker's probably getting taken out in the first five minutes of the action opening. Klaw acts more as a brief reference to things to come. That said, the Avengers, the twins, Vision and Ultron is still quite a lot.

I'm also worried that there will simply be too many characters, Vision might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back, because they appear to be setting up a changing loyalties story for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, but that's also Vision's story, so I'm not sure how well that's all going to happen at once.

On the other hand, there being too many plot lines might be an issue.

Solamnicknight
2015-03-07, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure if the many characters is going to be a problem since the rumor is the movie is going to be 160 minutes long. That is over two and a half hours. In contrast the first avengers movie was 143 minutes. So with that much screen time they should be able to fit in all the characters. Just make sure to use the theater's restroom before you go in! :smallbiggrin:

DigoDragon
2015-03-07, 01:30 PM
I echo the concern with too many characters, but otherwise seems interesting enough for me to go see it.

Darth Ultron
2015-03-07, 03:09 PM
Well, most of the movie should be like 2-5 characters on the screen at any one time, out of the..er...20 some characters. It sounds like a lot, but it can be done.

After all Avengers had six Avengers, a bad guy, three SHIELD agents, one scientist, and even Pepper Potts with her ''12% participation in the movie''. And everyone gets some screen time, development, and a moment or two.

Zmeoaice
2015-03-07, 05:40 PM
I read the comics, so that will likely ruin my viewing experience.

HANK PYM IS ULTRON'S CREATOR DAMMIT!!!!

Stylistically speaking, Ultron's tone of voice is too emotional for a robot programmed to wipe out humanity for peace. He sounds malicious. Tom Kane's monotonous voice in Avengers EMH would have been perfect.

Rakaydos
2015-03-07, 06:27 PM
I read the comics, so that will likely ruin my viewing experience.

HANK PYM IS ULTRON'S CREATOR DAMMIT!!!!

Stylistically speaking, Ultron's tone of voice is too emotional for a robot programmed to wipe out humanity for peace. He sounds malicious. Tom Kane's monotonous voice in Avengers EMH would have been perfect.

Why would Ultron be more monotonus than Jarvis? Strk/Ultron have access to every speach library on the internet- with enough processing power, Ultron can convey exactly the subtext he wants to convey with intonation.

Legato Endless
2015-03-07, 07:14 PM
IStylistically speaking, Ultron's tone of voice is too emotional for a robot programmed to wipe out humanity for peace. He sounds malicious. Tom Kane's monotonous voice in Avengers EMH would have been perfect.

Ultron isn't a cyberman. He's not lacking in emotion, just empathy. Furthermore, why does a genocidal goal have any bearing with one's cadence? Having someone so egotistical and irrationality obsessive being completely monotone isn't intrinsically flawed, but it seems a waste for a film portrayal. The tone will be a major characterisation factor.