PDA

View Full Version : getting wings of cover straight

curious-puzzle
2015-03-04, 04:14 PM
So this an awesome sorcerer spell, but I want to make sure I'm using it properly. The main thing I'm stuck on is if an opponent can change targets/actions after wings of deflection is cast. For example, a goblin moves up and tries to stab our sorcerer. Wings of cover is cast, and the attack fails. But if there was someone adjacent to the sorcerer, could the goblin attack them instead since it no longer has line of effect to the sorcerer? And how about the same situation, but a ranged attack? Any help is appreciated!

Deophaun
2015-03-04, 04:26 PM
But if there was someone adjacent to the sorcerer, could the goblin attack them instead since it no longer has line of effect to the sorcerer?
Yes.

And how about the same situation, but a ranged attack?
Yes.

Any time you interrupt another character's action, be it through an immediate action or a readied action, your action takes place before the one that triggered it. That means the character whose action was disrupted is free to change his action, which he has not yet taken, to something else. Now, if you're good at breaking actions down, you can force your opponent to commit to certain things, like interrupting a spell coming into effect, as opposed to interrupting someone casting a spell, but some things will always be impossible to come between, like a standard action attack, the attack roll, and damage, because these things are all defined as happening simultaneously. So, if the spell in question was scorching ray, while you could force the caster to commit to casting scorching ray and not doing something else, you could not force him to commit to targeting you with it.

curious-puzzle
2015-03-04, 10:09 PM
Perfect, thanks!

Blackhawk748
2015-03-04, 10:48 PM
Dont forget that if you are a Dragonblooded Sorcerer (and you really should be) your buddy next to you gains the benefit too, and that buddy over there, and that one, oh and that one too...

bjoern
2015-03-04, 11:18 PM
Yes.

Yes.

Any time you interrupt another character's action, be it through an immediate action or a readied action, your action takes place before the one that triggered it. That means the character whose action was disrupted is free to change his action, which he has not yet taken, to something else. Now, if you're good at breaking actions down, you can force your opponent to commit to certain things, like interrupting a spell coming into effect, as opposed to interrupting someone casting a spell, but some things will always be impossible to come between, like a standard action attack, the attack roll, and damage, because these things are all defined as happening simultaneously. So, if the spell in question was scorching ray, while you could force the caster to commit to casting scorching ray and not doing something else, you could not force him to commit to targeting you with it.

Wings of Cover

(Races of the Dragon)

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorcerer 2,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

Immense, partially translucent wings unfurl from behind you and completely shield you from the sight of your enemies for a single heartbeat.
Your evoked wings grant cover against a specific attack.
If your foe is about to attack you with a melee, ranged, spell, or psionic attack, you can cast this spell immediately, creating a hemispherical barrier (or a spherical barrier if you are not standing on solid ground) of force shaped like dragon wings.
The wings of force last just long enough to disrupt your foe's line of effect to you, providing you total cover against a single attack with a weapon, spell, or psionic power.
Your foe's first attack in this round cannot be made and is wasted against you, though he could decide to take any other action, including choosing to attack one of your allies instead, or take a full attack action that grants him additional melee attacks against you in this round (if your foe is of high enough level to have additional attacks).
The wings unfurl and then dissipate an instant later.
Your foe could choose to attack the area in which you have taken cover with an area attack (such as a fireball spell).
In this case, you gain a +8 bonus to AC (if applicable) and a +4 bonus on Reflex saves.
Special: A dragonblooded character, or a character with the dragon type, can provide cover for one additional adjacent ally for every three caster levels.

If he is able to "take back" his attack, then nothing is wasted. The wording of the spell indicates that the intent was to nullify One attack that was already coming your way.

Also, if a guy can just "take back" declared actions because someone else interrupts with an immediate action, what is the point of counterspelling?

"I cast fireball"
"Immediate action to counter spell it"
"Oh, you're countering it, OK, I take it back then"
"I cast scorching ray instead"

Deophaun
2015-03-05, 12:28 AM
Wings of Cover

(Races of the Dragon)

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorcerer 2,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

Immense, partially translucent wings unfurl from behind you and completely shield you from the sight of your enemies for a single heartbeat.
Your evoked wings grant cover against a specific attack.
If your foe is about to attack you with a melee, ranged, spell, or psionic attack, you can cast this spell immediately, creating a hemispherical barrier (or a spherical barrier if you are not standing on solid ground) of force shaped like dragon wings.
The wings of force last just long enough to disrupt your foe's line of effect to you, providing you total cover against a single attack with a weapon, spell, or psionic power.
Your foe's first attack in this round cannot be made and is wasted against you, though he could decide to take any other action, including choosing to attack one of your allies instead, or take a full attack action that grants him additional melee attacks against you in this round (if your foe is of high enough level to have additional attacks).
The wings unfurl and then dissipate an instant later.
Your foe could choose to attack the area in which you have taken cover with an area attack (such as a fireball spell).
In this case, you gain a +8 bonus to AC (if applicable) and a +4 bonus on Reflex saves.
Special: A dragonblooded character, or a character with the dragon type, can provide cover for one additional adjacent ally for every three caster levels.
Fixed your bolded part.

"I cast fireball"
"Immediate action to counter spell it"
"Oh, you're countering it, OK, I take it back then"
"I cast scorching ray instead"
I already explained why this doesn't work.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-03-05, 01:17 AM
The attack you block is wasted. If they have more attacks to make, those can be used as normal. Not shocking, and I'm not sure what you're even trying to assert.

It's a broken spell, I nerf the ever loving hell out of it, and any sane DM should too. But the RAW is clear, the attack you block is wasted.