PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How would this work? (5e)

Thrathgnar
2015-03-04, 07:36 PM
So in my party I'm DMing, one of the players died but was raised as an Undead Ranger by my BBEG. He goes infected with a Slaad egg the other day, which is basically Aliens. It will move to his chest cavity and then eat his organs, kill him, and emerge as a new Slaad. My question is, since he is undead, could he survive this? I gave him a buffed version of undead fortitude too, which gives him half HP if he is brought down to zero. Help?

Kid Jake
2015-03-04, 07:41 PM
I'd say yes, without an actual need for organs it shouldn't be a big deal if a few get eaten. Besides, it sounds like his character's already been kicked around a bit; don't rub salt in the wound.

Thrathgnar
2015-03-04, 07:43 PM
I'd say yes, without an actual need for organs it shouldn't be a big deal if a few get eaten. Besides, it sounds like his character's already been kicked around a bit; don't rub salt in the wound.

He met a cleric that could heal him, but his character is evil so he's trying to decide if he should try to convince her to heal him or not. We are all really invested in the campaign as its really story driven, so there isn't much chance that he would really die. I was just wondering how that would work

Rowan Wolf
2015-03-04, 07:46 PM
Not to rules lawyer, but I think his Undead status would render him no longer a valid 'host' for the slaadi eggs as he is no longer a humanoid, but is an Undead.

Thrathgnar
2015-03-04, 07:48 PM
Not to rules lawyer, but I think his Undead status would render him no longer a valid 'host' for the slaadi eggs as he is no longer a humanoid, but is an Undead.

Ohhhh ok I thought he was just an undead humanoid lol that does make sense

Rowan Wolf
2015-03-04, 07:52 PM
I think they got rid of the augmented template system that was common in the 3rd editions.

DonEsteban
2015-03-04, 07:52 PM
Yeah, the first question I posed myself was: Could a slaad really live on the organs of an undead? (What kind of undead anyway?) First off, you're the DM, it's your decision. I think it's entirely possible that said ranger survives, but there should be some kind of consequence. At the very least there could be some kind of mental connection between slaad and undead. It could even become a kind of familiar. There are tons of good RPing possibilities here and just as many chances to screw up entirely. Work with the player here. How is he or she reacting to having the character killed and mutilated anyway?

Thrathgnar
2015-03-04, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the first question I posed myself was: Could a slaad really live on the organs of an undead? (What kind of undead anyway?) First off, you're the DM, it's your decision. I think it's entirely possible that said ranger survives, but there should be some kind of consequence. At the very least there could be some kind of mental connection between slaad and undead. It could even become a kind of familiar. There are tons of good RPing possibilities here and just as many chances to screw up entirely. Work with the player here. How is he or she reacting to having the character killed and mutilated anyway?

He is a chaotic kinda player so he has been enjoying it lol. He thought about cutting off his arm to get rid of the parasite thinking it would just grow back. I told him I'd figure out what to do and tell him later. I'll ask him if he is interested in a Slaad companion lol. He made a pet lion that he is in love with but chances are the Cleric is gonna destroy it with channel divinity

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-06, 03:43 PM
I'm not super familiar with slaadi biology, but can the spawn survive the death of its host? Will it continue to grow inside a corpse until it is done and ready to hatch? Or does it specifically need living tissue?

If you can answer these questions, then your own answer will be made clear.