PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Build help (illusionist/color spray)

Zweisteine
2015-03-04, 07:58 PM
So I'm going to be playing my first game of Pathfinder with some of my friends.

My DM is allowing me a fairly strong custom race (possibly because of how horrific my ability rolls were). I've built a Gnome race somewhere between optimizing a race and building a new and flavorful type of gnome.

But my build... I've alternated a lot of options. I considered synthesist to ignore my low rolls, but decided it wouldn't really be fun (too much like fighter when in combat).
My current build is looking like Sorcerer 1/Oracle 2/??? X, with a focus in the spell color spray.

I'm considering two or three different ability score setups:
Str 1*, Dex 6, Con 7, Int 6, Wis 10*, Cha 22 (with another +4 to either strength or wisdom)
Str 7, Dex 11, 12 Con, 4 Int, 12 Wis, 20 Cha

I'm thinking the second, because the low HP of the first will leave any sorcerer dead in short order, though it has higher save DCs...

My real conundrum is bloodlines.

My options are:

Arcane - bonded item for extra spells is nice
Undead - Makes my primary tactic work on zombies, very good
Fey (Sylvan) - Get an animal companion with Racer archetype, and ride around on it. Sounds useful.
Tattooed - Gets a familiar, which I'd give either the Figment or Protector archetypes, for flavor and safety respectively. Would probably take with Undead
Crossblooded - would most likely cross Arcane and Undead, getting a bonded item and the undead-targetting. Giving up a spell might hurt for a level, but I don't expect it to matter much, as I'm multiclassing out.

Ummm... I don't think I forgot anything, so what do you think I should do?

Almarck
2015-03-04, 08:08 PM
Impossible bloodline allows you to affect constructs by bypassing their mind effecting immunity which is pretty strong since constructs have no good saves, incase that you didn't know about it. I didn't until a few weeks ago either.They also have unique perks for allowing you to make magic items, but it requires single classing to make the most out of it.

You may want to go with Crossblooded, to take both Impossible and Undead so that fewer things are immune to your powers.

I do not recomend Arcane for a bonded item because the penalty for losing it is pretty harsh.

Spore
2015-03-04, 08:13 PM
You DO know about the Heavens mystery and it's power to scale up Color Spray? I wouldn't dip sorcerer for the undead arcana, Threnopic Spell does the same if you really want to dumbfound undead.

Zweisteine
2015-03-04, 08:36 PM
Impossible bloodline allows you to affect constructs by bypassing their mind effecting immunity which is pretty strong since constructs have no good saves, incase that you didn't know about it.
Ooooh that's nice to know.

You may want to go with Crossblooded, to take both Impossible and Undead so that fewer things are immune to your powers.
I'm not sure it's a bad thing, but I may have a problem (http://xkcd.com/927/).

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

I do not recomend Arcane for a bonded item because the penalty for losing it is pretty harsh.
What, a few hundred GP? Not so bad. Isn't there a similar penalty for losing a familiar?

And what about a normal familiar for the +4 to initiative? (Which I already have once as a bonus feat.)

You DO know about the Heavens mystery and it's power to scale up Color Spray? I wouldn't dip sorcerer for the undead arcana, Threnodic Spell does the same if you really want to dumbfound undead.
Yes, that is why I'm multiclassing. That feat has a lot of prereqs, and doesn't come into play in the level range I expect this adventure to cover.
I'm more dipping sorc to get color spray from level 1, and maybe to get the other bloodline arcanas. But mostly for the level 1 color spray.
Maybe I'll reconsider that...

But what do I do for the first level, before getting my main spell?

EDIT:
Also, what curse should I take? I'm leaning towards haunted or lame, though lame will make me painfully slow...
I'd do legalistic, but my DM might not allow a character with 4 or 6 Intelligence to make cunning loophole-filled promises.'
Is the third-party Waking Dreamer a balanced curse? What of the other third-party curses?

EDIT 2:
Wasting might also work, but I might've planned to use charisma skills otherwise...
Wrecker also seems interesting, but I have no clue how bad it is.

Almarck
2015-03-05, 12:06 AM
Take Haunted.

Also, the problem with bonded item is that it forces you to take a DC 20+Spell level concentration check to cast and if you fail you lose the spell to no effect other than wasting your actions. Take the familiar if you want Arcane, just don't take the item because not having it on your person (wearing it or holding it as a weapon if a wand, staff, or weapon) is potentially fatal.