PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Greyhawk Campaign Story + Looking for ideas

Thrathgnar
2015-03-04, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone! I have been running a D&D 5e campaign in the World of Greyhawk for the past few months. We are doing accelerated leveling because we want to finish it this semester, and the campaign has also taken more of a storytelling/roleplay direction than a dungeon delving one. For anyone interested, I'm going to post the story so far here and if anyone wants to help with ideas for the upcoming extended endgame that would be awesome. Also keep in mind I'm new to TRPGs, so I probably run Greyhawk very badly but it's my own version of the world so hopefully I don't insult it too much >.>

It started with the party waking up in a murder city in the Sea of Dust without any memories. They left the murder city with an NPC's help, Thrathgnar the Berserker, and traveled to Yeomanry. A wizard there, Normask, gave them back their memories, where they recalled being attacked by orcs before waking up in the city. They travel to an orc stronghold to hunt down an orc captain under the rule of Turrosh Mak all the way out in the Tors, however upon arrival they find that the captain was replaced with a doppleganger. Normask and Marcus Lindon, who asked them for help with the orcs, directed them towards another place. It was a trap laid by Normask. The orcs had started retreating for terrorizing Yeomanry after the players defeated the stronghold, and they were held as heroes, but Normask trapped them and framed a Noble in Yeomanry to cause a civil war. In the middle of the war, the orc captain, Gilda, allied with Normask and the red dragons to attack Loftwick, the capital, in order to resurrect an ancient red dragon, Draco. The players break out of their trap and go back to Loftwick, stopping Normask and driving off the invaders.

One of the players, Drandell, a dragonborn vengeance paladin, fought his father, king of the red dragons, Vandell, in the fight. Drandell's sword Holy Smiter defended his friends, but absorbed Drandell's soul in the process.

Vecna, a lesser god and evil lich, revived Drandell with the eye and hand of Vecna. Drandell returned to the party, rejoining them, but influenced by Vecna's evil as an oathbreaker. Carric, the ranger in the party, lead them to Celene to discover his past. He found out that Yolande, Queen of Celene, had made a deal with Turrosh Mak during the Greyhawk wars that ended in his family dying. He tried to convince her to stop her isolationist policies, but she didn't listen.

Around the time they left Celene, Dominick the wizard received an invitation to a Magic War, a fearsome battle between seven wizards and their magically summoned servants for a Staff of Wish. During the war, they fought several powerful opponents, the most notable being a masked wizard. The masked wizard resurrects soldiers from dust just like the dust from the Sea of Dust, and almost win the war until Dominick sacrificed his servant, Joan of Arc, to come out on top with the staff. He uses the wish spell for an artifact level magic item, and the spell fails and the staff is destroyed. The masked wizard then creates a portal to the Shadowfell, sucking everyone in.

The masked wizard was nowhere to be seen, but the players found themselves in the Shadowfell. Long story short, a shadow dragon killed Carric and Drandell and Dominick found their way home.

Here, the campaign split in three directions. Carric was resurrected by one of Vecna's men in his undead army and was recruited as a candidate for one of his generals if he could kill Drandell. He was returned to the normal world, where he is currectly raising an undead army in the Sea Princes.

Dominick recieved an offer from a death cleric to revive Joan of Arc if he goes to the Dry Steppes. He went there and found a magical temple, where a hooded figure instructed him to slay eight monsters for his wish to come true.

Drandell set off to kill Vecna. He formed a four man team with himself, the wielder of the Sword of Kas, a member of the Boneshadow, and a comrade he had met during the Magic War. He traveled to the bright lands because of undead activity there and met a wizard in Rary's tower, who told him that Vecna resides in a magical temple in the Dry Steppes.

This is where we left off. After each character finishes their current goal (other can killing Vecna) the characters will meet back up at a World Tournament which will officially being the extended endgame I'm planning.

If anyone has any ideas for the endgame, please let me know. Below is information outside of the party's knowledge

-Lord Dorag, Drandell's member of the Boneshadow, will along with two comrades try to jeopardize the World Tournament and earn/steal the prize which would allow them to create a portal to Iuz's army, causing them to invade Chenl from within and wrecking havoc (this will be the first major battle of the endgame)

-Vecna is the hooded figure in the temple, and once Dominick slays the eight monsters who all held sealed fragments of his soul, Vecna will take control of Dominick's body and use it as a vessel (explained further down)

-Drandell wants to kill his father, king of the red dragons, as well as Vecna

-Carric wants to rule and undead army

-Dominick wants to uh idk revive Joan of Arc

-The masked wizard is Rary, who is working with Robilar (the wizard in the tower) to recreate invoked devestation and rain of colorless fire to unite all of the planes into one and equalize gods and mortals for "true peace" (I have another thread explaining all this if anyone is interested)

-Vecna is temporarily allied with Rary and Robilar, who plan on betraying him. Vecna knows about this, however, and intends to steal the spells and cast them himself, becoming the only god in existence. He needed a vessel to summon the Tarasque and seal it within himself so he would have enough power to cast the spells on a universial level

-After Iuz's attack on Chenl, the "good" nations will be fed up with evil and ally to destroy it, beginning continental war. The Circle of Eight will withdraw from the world at large, accused by the good nations of perpetrating evil and also suffering from the murders of Mordenkainen and two more of its members.

I think that is about it, if anyone has any questions let me know. This campaign has really excited me and my players and we are all looking forward to endgame, so any ideas on how to wrap this up would be awesome. :)