PDA

View Full Version : How powerful or weak would a tiny pc race be?

Rfkannen
2015-03-04, 08:23 PM
Was thinking about a campaign, it had corgi rideing pixie people(can't fly) was thinking about how weak or strong that would be. What do you think? The tiny part?

Oh also, there based on a cross between the nac mac feegle, Mephistopheles, medieval Scotland, the Welsh, and the british . Probably something like +2 strength.

Ghost Nappa
2015-03-04, 08:27 PM
I feel like Drow/Tieflings are a good base for a Pixie.

+2 DEX, +1 CHA, some basic utility spells from the enchantments or illusions (absolutely nothing higher than Level 2) that come online as you earn levels and recharge with a long rest, and a 30ish feet flying speed and I think you'd be set.

Edit: If you take out the Flying Speed, you might want to give them something else to compensate, maybe something druidic like Goodberry. Or give it some sort of martial bonus so it isn't automatically/only a "Caster-Preferred" race: maybe they're a Sprite.

heavyfuel
2015-03-04, 08:54 PM
Consider the following: with very few exceptions you don't need to worry about, a PC will always pick a race that suits their class and role selections.

The drawbacks of a Tiny creature - reach, attack bonus, weapon dice - are negated completely when the player picks a caster class. Casters are already the strongest archetype in the game. This means that Tiny will always be an advantage. Thus, you'll need some kind of drawback, and the thing that hurts casters most is LA. Give this thing +1 or +2 LA and load it up with goodies that make it worth that adjustment. Casters still won't take it (spell levels are the best thing you can have) but mundane types will, and they'll have to deal with the drawbacks of being Tiny in addition to the benefits.

Hmmm... I think this was more suitable for the 3.x forums mate.

Flickerdart
2015-03-04, 09:00 PM
Hmmm... I think this was more suitable for the 3.x forums mate.
Oh...I really need to stop clicking on these "latest post" links from the forum home page and expecting them to be 3.5. :smallredface:

CyberThread
2015-03-04, 09:01 PM
They should be tiny, look like pikachu and have true sight as a racial.

Chronos
2015-03-04, 09:52 PM
Given that size makes almost no difference any more... I'm not sure why not.

jazzymantis
2015-03-04, 11:33 PM
One thing to note, from the PHB pg 176, tiny characters can carry/ use only half of what they should be able to using their strength bonus.
I would also argue that they have to use any regular weapon in 2 hands and couldn't use anything with the two-handed, heavy, or versatile options.

The sprite weaponry might be a good basis for how weapons would typically be. I would give them a big dex bonus though.

Gritmonger
2015-03-05, 01:34 PM
- light or finesse weapons only.
- of those, bigger than a dagger is two handed only.
- land speed of 20' or less
- disadvantage on strength checks to push or pull due to lack of leverage
- proficient in sleight of hand
- pack tactics

Myzz
2015-03-05, 02:00 PM
unlike many of my fellow posters, I have no issue limiting racial stats.

In the case of any tiny race I would limit strength to 10 and con to 16, increase Dex max to 26(?) increase Cha max to 24 and wisdom max to 24.

Basically they are just so cute and tiny (cha)... they are very quick and agile (dex)... and are extremely wise (especially in nature lore and survival) to have lived so long being so tiny (wis)... -14 to stats +14 to stat maxes.

Can still carry 150# without encumbrance (see even 10 is stupid high for a tiny flying creature)... Thier tiny size dex boost accounts for being hard to hit.

I'd probably give out starting stats I think were appropriate vice letting player choose. Barring that I'd give -4 Str, +6 Dex, +1 wis, +1 Cha. Land Move speed = 15ft, Flight of 25ft. Darkvision 60ft, @L1 Druidcraft cantrip, @L2 Speak with Animals 1/day, @L3 Animal Friendship at first level 1/day, @L5 Speak with Plants 1/day. Gain Tiny Nimbleness (can move through the space of any creature that is 1 size bigger = small and up) as well as Naturally Invisible. You can attempt to hide even when obscured by a creature that is at least 1 size bigger (=small and up), as well as when only lightly obscured by by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist and other natural phenomena (like branches and weeds or tall grass).

Reduce all Range and thrown weapon increments by half, these are the Tiny sized version (Long bows can not be used, while Light and Heavy Crossbows can be aimed if propped on something and fired, but can not be reloaded by the tiny PC. Only darts and daggers function as 1 handed weapons, all other simple melee weapons function as 2 handed weapons and only Finesse Martial Melee Weapons are allowed and they function as 2 handed weapons as well.

As previously pointed out there are certain classes that they would be awesome in... Any caster role where there strength and size do not inhibit their damage dealing, they benefit due to increased ability to hide. With these stats they would be natural rogues, land druids, bards, sorcerers, and warlocks... They would make good Wizards too, but the bump in wis and cha work better for those stat based classes, especially with the lifted caps! For Tiny PC Druids, you might want to consider limiting creature size to small until level 5 or something...

asorel
2015-03-07, 09:44 AM
unlike many of my fellow posters, I have no issue limiting racial stats.

In the case of any tiny race I would limit strength to 10 and con to 16, increase Dex max to 26(?) increase Cha max to 24 and wisdom max to 24.

Basically they are just so cute and tiny (cha)... they are very quick and agile (dex)... and are extremely wise (especially in nature lore and survival) to have lived so long being so tiny (wis)... -14 to stats +14 to stat maxes.

Can still carry 150# without encumbrance (see even 10 is stupid high for a tiny flying creature)... Thier tiny size dex boost accounts for being hard to hit.

I'd probably give out starting stats I think were appropriate vice letting player choose. Barring that I'd give -4 Str, +6 Dex, +1 wis, +1 Cha. Land Move speed = 15ft, Flight of 25ft. Darkvision 60ft, @L1 Druidcraft cantrip, @L2 Speak with Animals 1/day, @L3 Animal Friendship at first level 1/day, @L5 Speak with Plants 1/day. Gain Tiny Nimbleness (can move through the space of any creature that is 1 size bigger = small and up) as well as Naturally Invisible. You can attempt to hide even when obscured by a creature that is at least 1 size bigger (=small and up), as well as when only lightly obscured by by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist and other natural phenomena (like branches and weeds or tall grass).

Reduce all Range and thrown weapon increments by half, these are the Tiny sized version (Long bows can not be used, while Light and Heavy Crossbows can be aimed if propped on something and fired, but can not be reloaded by the tiny PC. Only darts and daggers function as 1 handed weapons, all other simple melee weapons function as 2 handed weapons and only Finesse Martial Melee Weapons are allowed and they function as 2 handed weapons as well.

As previously pointed out there are certain classes that they would be awesome in... Any caster role where there strength and size do not inhibit their damage dealing, they benefit due to increased ability to hide. With these stats they would be natural rogues, land druids, bards, sorcerers, and warlocks... They would make good Wizards too, but the bump in wis and cha work better for those stat based classes, especially with the lifted caps! For Tiny PC Druids, you might want to consider limiting creature size to small until level 5 or something...

Limiting the value of stats, as well as having some ability scores be reduced by racial penalties, is somewhat antithetical to 5th edition's design philosophy thus far. Also, raising the ability cap to above 20 as a racial ability is very much unbalanced, especially for groups that roll for stats. Getting STR and CON above 20 is a capstone for the Barbarian. Your build gives any members of the race the ability to get three of their stats above 20. Not only that, but you could get DEX to 21 at first level using point-buy. Even if you consider the -4 STR 'balance,' this is almost ridiculously over powered.

Gnaeus
2015-03-07, 10:45 AM
Did no one else read that this race is based on the Nac Mac Feegle? A Feegle can lift a grown man or sheep by a foot or hoof and carry him at full speed. A Feegle isn't using a finesse weapon. He's climbing up the dire wolf and head butting him until he stops twitching. Nae King! Nae Quin! Nae Laird! +2 str, +1 con. Stealth proficiency. Some kind of racial penalty about being easily distracted by loot, liquor or fighting. Most will be barbarians.
Edit
1d8 natural slam attack. Does 1d12 if the Feegle is grappling or if the target is prone. Its not like they will be able to use most weapons, and if people would rather have a feegle in their trousers than be hit in the face by an angry ogre, you're doing it wrong.
0' reach, but can freely enter squares of larger creatures, and will provoke as normal when the enemy leaves the square.

Gritmonger
2015-03-07, 01:44 PM
Did no one else read that this race is based on the Nac Mac Feegle? A Feegle can lift a grown man or sheep by a foot or hoof and carry him at full speed. A Feegle isn't using a finesse weapon. He's climbing up the dire wolf and head butting him until he stops twitching. Nae King! Nae Quin! Nae Laird! +2 str, +1 con. Stealth proficiency. Some kind of racial penalty about being easily distracted by loot, liquor or fighting. Most will be barbarians.
Edit
1d8 natural slam attack. Does 1d12 if the Feegle is grappling or if the target is prone. Its not like they will be able to use most weapons, and if people would rather have a feegle in their trousers than be hit in the face by an angry ogre, you're doing it wrong.
0' reach, but can freely enter squares of larger creatures, and will provoke as normal when the enemy leaves the square.

If Nac Mac Feegle, not a player race.