PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [Pathfinder] Aasimar Warpriest (Build Advise)

JonathonWilder
2015-03-04, 10:14 PM
Character Image
http://oi60.tinypic.com/8z331h.jpg
Name: Aurelius
Race: Aasimar 'Half-Elf'
Deity: Iomedae
Class: Champion of the Faith (Warpriest)
Character Level: 5th
Alignment: Lawful Good
Blessings: Glory, Sun
Traits: Honest (faith), Purity of Faith (religion)
Str: 15 Dex: 10 Con: 16 Int: 10 Wis: 15 Cha: 16
Alternate Racial Traits: Scion of Humanity, Heavenborn
Feats: Racial Heritage (Elf), Weapon Focus (longsword), Power Attack, Weapon Specialization (longsword), Iron Will

Ravens_cry
2015-03-04, 10:42 PM
Very nice picture, but what *is* the build?
All we know so far is that it has the Lightbringer* trait.
*interesting choice of words, Paizo.

Kid Jake
2015-03-04, 10:55 PM
You might also have more luck with specific build advice on the 3.5/Pathfinder subforum.

JonathonWilder
2015-03-04, 10:57 PM
Well as I mentioned before, a double handed weapon user, perhaps using the Elven Courtblade
I am considering picking from the following feats: Weapon Finesse, Power Attack, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization*

*The Elven Courtblade is a two-handed weapon that you can apply Weapon Finesse while staying a two-handed weapon and not a light weapon, also may be treated as a greatsword for the above feats.

You might also have more luck with specific build advice on the 3.5/Pathfinder subforum.
I apologize, I thought this was the proper place to post this thread.

VexingFool
2015-03-05, 06:00 AM
I’d avoid the Cleric (Crusader) path. First you have to figure out how to get proficiency in a two-handed sword since Crusader archetype does not give you martial weapons. Generally this would mean taking a patron deity with a desired favored weapon.

Greatsword – Gorum, Smiad, Zurvaater, Szuriel.
Falchion – Lamashtu, Sobek, Reymenda, Uruskreil, Kro’akoth, Rull.
Bastard Sword – Feronia, Ragathiel, Malacoda, Nightripper.

Only Smiad and Ragathiel strike me as the deities of a warrior of light. The other downside of Crusader is the bonus feats come so late, like weapon spec. at 10th and greater weapon spec. at 20. You also will have to spend a feat for Heavy Armor proficiency.

The Paladin would work good but the spellcasting is a little lackluster. Also you could not get greater weapon focus, weapon spec. and greater weapon spec. due to fighter level requirements.

I would suggest a Warpriest. Heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency, can choose Elven Curved blade as your focus weapon and get free weapon focus feat. They get bonus feats every 3 levels, which treat their Warpriest levels as their BAB and Fighter levels for pre-reqs. They have spellcasting up to 6th level and have access to the full cleric list. They are less MAD then a crusader cleric would be since they can ‘dump’ CHA.

If you decide to use an elven curved blade with weapon finesse you are going to want at least 13 STR for power attack since you can’t use piranha strike with two-handed weapons. Get your weapon enchanted with the Agile property for DEX to dmg asap.

Burst of Radiance is a nifty little low-level 'light' spell.

JonathonWilder
2015-03-05, 10:07 AM
I’d avoid the Cleric (Crusader) path. First you have to figure out how to get proficiency in a two-handed sword since Crusader archetype does not give you martial weapons. Generally this would mean taking a patron deity with a desired favored weapon.

Greatsword – Gorum, Smiad, Zurvaater, Szuriel.
Falchion – Lamashtu, Sobek, Reymenda, Uruskreil, Kro’akoth, Rull.
Bastard Sword – Feronia, Ragathiel, Malacoda, Nightripper.

Only Smiad and Ragathiel strike me as the deities of a warrior of light. The other downside of Crusader is the bonus feats come so late, like weapon spec. at 10th and greater weapon spec. at 20. You also will have to spend a feat for Heavy Armor proficiency.

The Paladin would work good but the spellcasting is a little lackluster. Also you could not get greater weapon focus, weapon spec. and greater weapon spec. due to fighter level requirements.

I would suggest a Warpriest. Heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency, can choose Elven Curved blade as your focus weapon and get free weapon focus feat. They get bonus feats every 3 levels, which treat their Warpriest levels as their BAB and Fighter levels for pre-reqs. They have spellcasting up to 6th level and have access to the full cleric list. They are less MAD then a crusader cleric would be since they can ‘dump’ CHA.

If you decide to use an elven curved blade with weapon finesse you are going to want at least 13 STR for power attack since you can’t use piranha strike with two-handed weapons. Get your weapon enchanted with the Agile property for DEX to dmg asap.

Burst of Radiance is a nifty little low-level 'light' spell.

Best advice I have received so fair, though it will be sad to let go of a paladin. Part of me wanted it to be such just so I can prove an elf could make for effective paladin, without going for the archer route.

I will probably see if I can use the Elven Courtblade though over the Elven Curved Blade, as I just see it better weapon all around and easier to have fit the image above. Though since it is not a common weapon, and I believe no deity by RAW has it as their favored weapon... I may need to see about it being allowed.

If I can't I guess I can go with the Elven Curved Blade.

I think I will also see to asking about replacing some spells with light spells from the Book of Exalted Deeds, thus getting more use out of the Lightbringer racial trait.

Edit: Okay I made a build, sadly no deity offers Elven Curved Blade
Name: Aurelius
Race: Elf
Deity: Iomedae
Class: Warpriest
Character Level: 5th
Alignment: Lawful Good
Blessings: Glory, Sun
Str 16 Dex 14 Con 15 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 10 (25 point buy plus 1 to Con)
Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword), Power Attack, Weapon Specialization, Toughness, Lunge

Other Feat Considerations/Future Feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Quicken Blessing, Step Up, Following Step, Step Up and Strike

I might go Champaign of the Faith

Laughingmanlol
2015-03-05, 03:28 PM
Just a quick tip, but if you're taking Lightbringer then you can also trade low-light vision for darkvision 60ft with no downsides.
"Darkvision: Though uncommon, some groups of elves are born with darkvision, rather than low-light vision. In many cases this is taken as a sign of a drow in the elf's ancestry, and can lead to persecution within the elf's home community. Elves with this racial trait gain darkvision with a range of 60 feet, but also gain sensitivity to light and are dazzled in areas of bright light or within the radius of a daylight spell. This racial trait replaces low-light vision."
From Lightbringer, "Elves with this racial trait are immune to light-based blindness and dazzle effects"

Admittedly it's pretty minor, but it's a nice bit of trait synergy.

JonathonWilder
2015-03-05, 03:38 PM
Just a quick tip, but if you're taking Lightbringer then you can also trade low-light vision for darkvision 60ft with no downsides.
-snipe-
Admittedly it's pretty minor, but it's a nice bit of trait synergy.
Hmm, that would be a good trade off... though is this agreed by Pathfinder players/DM to be legal? I am a bit uncertain given how one say you are blinded and dazzles while the other says you are immune to such.

If it is sure, I would be happy to take that.

Spore
2015-03-05, 04:00 PM
Still, having Drowblood as an Elf and being the chosen one sets off my Snowflake alert. :)

JonathonWilder
2015-03-05, 04:09 PM
Updated original post, decided to go with a Aasimar 'Half-Elf' instead of an Elf