PDA

View Full Version : Revised Bestiary of Krynn

bootzin
2015-03-05, 06:33 AM
So, I intended to play a white dragonspawn, but my friend said it has been updated to be an LA +3 in the revised Bestiary of Krynn.. I can't manage to put my hands in this book, and I can't create my character if I can't confirm this info, so... Could you guys confirm this to me? Is the revised edition the same as the errata? And is there any major changes in the template?

Wacky89
2015-03-05, 06:57 AM
the LA is the same in that book. I'm assuming you want the white dragonspawn, that is LA+1 in that book. You can probably find the book yourself and see.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-05, 06:57 AM
No, your friend is wrong about that; the LA hasn't changed. The type has changed, from Monstrous Humanoid to Dragon.

For Dragonlance campaigns, as far as Margaret Weis Publications go, this update is effectively errata.

Solaris
2015-03-05, 11:40 AM
Revised Bestiary of Krynn lists it as +1.

However, Dragons of Krynn lists the LA for an independent dragonspawn as +3, while one who's still bound to their overlord is +1. This is the book focused around dragons, draconians, and dragonspawn with an eye towards using them as characters; it's arguably the primary source for a dragonspawn character.

Much as I hate to say it, your friend is right - but with the wrong source.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-05, 12:04 PM
However, Dragons of Krynn lists the LA for an independent dragonspawn as +3, while one who's still bound to their overlord is +1. This is the book focused around dragons, draconians, and dragonspawn with an eye towards using them as characters; it's arguably the primary source for a dragonspawn character.
You're talking oranges and tangerines here. The Dragonspawn in DCS and Bestiary of Krynn, revised are acquired templates which can be applied to any corporeal Giant, Humanoid, or Monstrous Humanoid of Small, Medium, or Large size. The Dragonspawn in Dragons of Krynn are races, all of which are descended from Humans. The fact that they began with Humans and applied the DCS template to generate their Dragonspawn races (see the sidebar on page 118) doesn't keep it from being in a different category.

Dragons of Krynn does address the template with Errata on page 175, in a section far removed from the Dragonspawn races (pages 116-125). There is no change to LA in the template.