PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy books that need a d20 adaptation/list of books already adapted

Fatal Rose
2015-03-05, 06:36 AM
Which fantasy books would you like to see adapted to d20? Personally I've far more enjoyed them when compared to the standard pathfinder/DnD books out.

Here's a list of what has already been adapted...

Game Of Thrones d20: This book is amazing! Not only is it a well made variant of the d20 system, its also great for fans of the series. So much content/info. I personally loved the rule changes and character development process. Me and my friends already house-ruled a lot of this into our games. My only complaint is the Knight classes (Knight/Kingsguard), they rely far too heavily on mounted combat. Historically knights were masters with weapons on foot and well versed in unarmed combat. Overall though, this is easily the best of the d20 adapted books. The changes to how combat is played is amazing.

The Black Company: This is almost on par with GOT. Awesome alternate classes too. The prestige classes felt the book so well and everything about this book adds so much flavor to any game session.

Thieves World: I LOVE these books! After going through these products I went back and bought all of the TW books in epub format and plan n reading them all. Green Ronin did a fantastic job with this and the Black Company.

Wheel Of Time: this is an old 3ed book. However me and my friends still got some use out of it. We love the Blade Master title that characters in the series have. Thankfully this has that as a PC. It also has a unique magic system. The Algaidisiswai(sp?) class is very interesting. Thankfully some fans online updated these classes with some homebrew net products. Many good things about these books.

Conan: this one is by MGP. I haven't had a chance to play around with this yet. Seems interesting though, many have said it brings the feel of Robert E. Howard's original stories to the table quite well.

Arthurian books: Legends Of Excalibur by RPG Objects. This book is awesome! Easily the best Arthurian d20 product available. I prefer the knight classes in this book over GOTs. However they still almost entirely rely on mounted combat. This book has so much fluff/flavor, this and the GOT book really complement each other well.
Relics and Rituals: Ecalibur by swords and sorcery. This one is really good too. Not on par with Legends of Excalibur though. Interesting PC's full of flavor.
This is all I have/can think of.

Fantasy books I'd like to see adapted.

King Killer Chronicles.
Deverry
Jack Vance Lyonesse trilogy
Codex Alera
Paul Kearney, anything
Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron, however he personally said Rolemaster is what he has in mind.
Malazan Book Of The Fallen
David Gemmell books
Narnia
Earthsea
Robin Hobb books
Night Angel books by Brent Weeks

How about you? :-)

atemu1234
2015-03-05, 07:12 AM
12-year-old me wants to see Artemis Fowl D20.

WesleyVos
2015-03-05, 07:28 AM
Mistborn
Stormlight Archive
Warbreaker
Elantris

Actually, anything written by Brandon Sanderson.

kellbyb
2015-03-05, 08:56 AM
I believe there's a Dresden Files RPG out there. Don't know if it's d20.

Grinner
2015-03-05, 08:57 AM
I believe there's a Dresden Files RPG out there. Don't know if it's d20.

It's Fate-based. There might be a d20 adaptation, though.

dysprosium
2015-03-05, 09:53 AM
Dragon Magazine 333 has statistics for Robin Hobb's Liveships.

One of my favorite series is the Deryni Chronicles by Katherine Kurtz. I know there is a book out there and I understand it has a d20 conversion in the back.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-05, 09:59 AM
12 year old me agrees.

Vhaidara
2015-03-05, 10:23 AM

21 year old me agrees.

I also second Codex Alera. I've actually been toying with brewing up something like that for use in PF. LA based on your level of natural ability, significant bonuses if you have no furies (one of the non-Aleran races), a difference between people with one strong fury and multiple weaker furies.

It's a balancing nightmare, but I actually feel that balancing that should be up to the GM. The players need to be balanced against each other, not against the world.

Palanan
2015-03-05, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by WesleyVos
Mistborn
Stormlight Archive
Warbreaker
Elantris

I fully concur. At one point I heard something about a Mistborn RPG, don't know if it ever happened.

Same for Girl Genius, which would be a ton of fun.

Originally Posted by Atemu1234

12-year-old me was reading Tolkien and Anne McCaffrey, and never heard of Artemis Fowl. :smalltongue:

whisperwind1
2015-03-05, 10:28 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Belgariad or the Malloreon. Voices of Prophecy aside you could run campaigns after the events of the book, when its not a foregone conclusion that everything your do was somehow pre-ordained at the beginning of the Universe.

Although now that I think about it, if everything was supposed to happen that way, why would Belgarath need to scramble to assemble the Warriors of Prophecy in the first place?

Fatal Rose
2015-03-05, 11:53 AM
Dragon Magazine 333 has statistics for Robin Hobb's Liveships.

One of my favorite series is the Deryni Chronicles by Katherine Kurtz. I know there is a book out there and I understand it has a d20 conversion in the back.

I must find this Deryni Chronicles book!

Blackhawk748
2015-03-05, 02:03 PM
I would say Dragonriders of Pern, but i have no idea how that would work :smalltongue:

PaucaTerrorem
2015-03-05, 08:16 PM
Has anyone done Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms? Would love to see those as a d20 setting.

Thealtruistorc
2015-03-05, 08:28 PM
The Nicholas Flammel series. That was definitely something that got me into D&D and there's a lot in it that I feel could enhance the game if carried over (namely the alchemy magic).

arkangel111
2015-03-05, 08:38 PM
Mithermages by Orson Scott Card. The magic system would seem quite complicated but could be fun.
Sword of truth shouldn't be too hard to convert though it lacks most races except human.

Not a book but the Disgaia system would be fun as a tabletop. For that matter so could final fantasy.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-05, 09:07 PM
Has anyone done Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms? Would love to see those as a d20 setting.

This....This is a joke? Right? RIGHT???? *begins to freak out*

PsyBomb
2015-03-05, 09:55 PM
I'll throw my vote behind Codex Alera, Belgariad/Malloreon, and add to that the Sapphire Rose (also by Eddings). I've done a clash of worlds with a Dragonrider of Pern (Cavalier with a dragon mount).

Codex Alera would probably work out something like Spherecasting, actually...

Thurbane
2015-03-05, 09:56 PM
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson).

I remember an AD&D article in White Dwarf with some of the creatures, but I would love to see a full 3.X version. I think maybe someone started a homebrew website dedicated to this a while back, but can't find it right now...

Seerow
2015-03-05, 09:59 PM
Mistborn
Stormlight Archive
Warbreaker
Elantris

I'd like this... but I feel like some of the settings just wouldn't get along well with d20. Or more specifically with a Class/Level based system. Stormlight Archive is probably the best fit, but we're still early enough in that series that we don't know enough to get a good adaptation. Better to wait 6 years until the first 5 book sequence is done, and then see how it pans out.

Mistborn feels like it would be more at home with a dicepool system a la Shadowrun or WoD. Same for Warbreaker. I actually can't remember anything at all about magic in Elantris, so I can't say anything about adaptation of it.

YossarianLives
2015-03-05, 10:08 PM
It's alright. Calm down. I now it's hard. *pats on shoulder*

Vhaidara
2015-03-05, 10:11 PM
I'll throw my vote behind Codex Alera, Belgariad/Malloreon, and add to that the Sapphire Rose (also by Eddings). I've done a clash of worlds with a Dragonrider of Pern (Cavalier with a dragon mount).

Codex Alera would probably work out something like Spherecasting, actually...

Let's just be honest: All of Eddings should be settings.

Alera as spherecasting... I shall explore this option!

Also, tossing up Raymond E Fiest's Midkemia and associated worlds (I forget if there was a general name). I've heard they started as a custom DnD setting. Why was this never published as one?

Seerow
2015-03-05, 10:15 PM
Also, tossing up Raymond E Fiest's Midkemia and associated worlds (I forget if there was a general name). I've heard they started as a custom DnD setting. Why was this never published as one?

I heard that Feist's plan was to release the campaign setting after Magician's End was published (couldn't happen before then because spoilers. The book series was written as a sort of prequel/history of the setting he and his buddies played in).

I haven't heard anything about it since Magician's End was released though. So the idea may have been dropped as Feist's popularity waned and the TTRPG market has split significantly from when he started to when he finished.

Vhaidara
2015-03-05, 10:32 PM
This news saddens me. I need to go reread those books. They were truly awesome.

LarwisTheElf
2015-03-05, 10:42 PM
The Pattern of Shadow and Light series by Melissa McPhail would be interesting, though any magic user would have to be some crazy hodge-podge of wizard, sorcerer and cleric.

Actually sphere casting might work better for it as well....

PsyBomb
2015-03-05, 10:46 PM

It's called the Riftwar, and yeah, it would make an awesome setting.

Seerow
2015-03-05, 11:06 PM
It's called the Riftwar, and yeah, it would make an awesome setting.

I wouldn't mind getting the setting for Riftwar era Midkemia/Kelewan. Maybe even Serpentwar era. During that point you have the Novindus continent. Stardock has been built and established. You probably don't have the Conclave of Shadows yet, but on the other hand you do have major villainous figures still in play like the Pantathians and the one Necromancer guy whose name changes so often I can't recall. You have open trade between Midkemia and Kelewan, so an enterprising group of adventurers could conceivably travel back and forth. And I think this was also before the whole "oh no everybody in the world forgot how to make teleportation orbs" stupid plot point showed up. Yeah, the more I think about it, that is probably the ideal point in time to base the setting around.

Having read the series through to its conclusion, I cannot stress enough how uninterested I am in playing in the post-books setting though. I mean the last chapter or two of Magician's End read as though it was literally a checklist of "What did we have in our campaign that I forgot to include? Okay let's make this big event at the end change those things randomly so it matches up. Great!" Honestly everything after the Serpentwar really rang hollow for me, but the last 2-5 books in particular were a major letdown.

weckar
2015-03-05, 11:08 PM
Slightly off-topic, but this triggered my memory to check on Unwritten (the MYST rpg). Almost a year behind in printing and still we wait :smallfrown:
Not quite a novel (although there were a few) but let's be honest: They may as well be for the rich worldbuilding content.

Vhaidara
2015-03-05, 11:13 PM
Honestly, I only read Magician: Apprentice and Master, Silverbloom, and A Darkness at Sethanon. However, my copy of A Darkness at Sethanon had this cover (https://www.worldswithoutend.com/covers/ref_adarknes.jpg), which is probably my favorite cover art to this day.

Seerow
2015-03-05, 11:16 PM
Honestly, I only read Magician: Apprentice and Master, Silverbloom, and A Darkness at Sethanon. However, my copy of A Darkness at Sethanon had this cover (https://www.worldswithoutend.com/covers/ref_adarknes.jpg), which is probably my favorite cover art to this day.

That makes much more sense. Those were some of my first fantasy novels when I was much younger, and even still I'll reread them occasionally. They are genuinely good books. I would recommend reading further into the series, if only because I would highly recommend Riftwar Legends/Legacy and the Serpentwar... but yeah don't go further than that. Past that stuff gets weird and rushed, and almost every character you care about gets backburned in favor of characters trying to emulate the characters you loved but got killed off several books back.

PsyBomb
2015-03-05, 11:23 PM
That makes much more sense. Those were some of my first fantasy novels when I was much younger, and even still I'll reread them occasionally. They are genuinely good books. I would recommend reading further into the series, if only because I would highly recommend Riftwar Legends/Legacy and the Serpentwar... but yeah don't go further than that. Past that stuff gets weird and rushed, and almost every character you care about gets backburned in favor of characters trying to emulate the characters you loved but got killed off several books back.

I liked it up until the end of Talon of the Silver Hawk, but let's get back on topic.

One I forgot, since the series ended a WHILE back and I haven't gotten personal copies yet, would be Basil Broketail. Military fantasy, and it was quite fun.

Oh, and the Joust series.

Seerow
2015-03-05, 11:36 PM
Oh right, there was a topic and it was not discussing Feist.

Hrm nobody has mentioned Kingkiller Chronicles/Four Corners yet. That would be interesting to see a conversion of (though is yet another setting that seems better served by a dicepool system)

Blackhawk748
2015-03-05, 11:36 PM
It's alright. Calm down. I know it's hard. *pats on shoulder*

Im ok, im ok, ive had a mountain dew and im better now... *breathes deeply* Ok...

Has anyone mentioned Discworld?

Vhaidara
2015-03-05, 11:38 PM
Im ok, im ok, ive had a mountain dew and im better now... *breathes deeply* Ok...

Has anyone mentioned Discworld?

Discworld doesn't port well to games. Too much narrative causality. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, necessarily, if it weren't for the fact that it basically translates to GM Fiat, Railroading, and Hardcore Troping.

gorfnab
2015-03-05, 11:43 PM
Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin
Tales of the Kin series by Douglas Hulick

Blackhawk748
2015-03-05, 11:48 PM
Discworld doesn't port well to games. Too much narrative causality. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, necessarily, if it weren't for the fact that it basically translates to GM Fiat, Railroading, and Hardcore Troping.

Ya your probably right. Ive never actually read any of the series just a bunch of buddies have and they reference it from time to time, so the bits i hear sound like a lot of fun. Mainly the Wee Free Men. :smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2015-03-05, 11:51 PM
Ya your probably right. Ive never actually read any of the series just a bunch of buddies have and they reference it from time to time, so the bits i hear sound like a lot of fun. Mainly the Wee Free Men. :smalltongue:

Oh, they're definitely fun. But it would make a terrible setting. Essentially, the plot is driven by the fact that the plot must occur. This is generally accepted by the populace. Heroes are heroes because they are heroes, etc.

PsyBomb
2015-03-05, 11:53 PM

Cohen the Barbarian makes me giggle

"He can't be so tough, he's 80!"
"DUDE, he survived to that age in BARBARIANS life!"

Blackhawk748
2015-03-05, 11:57 PM
I think it could be made to work, but oh god so many jokes, theres no way it could be serious. But maybe that would be the charm? Maybe every game set in Discworld starts with the PCs picking up the Plot Coupon and going "Ah crap."

Also is Guards, Guards set in Discworld? Because if it is then i have read a book set in Discworld. One. And it was hilarious.

Fatal Rose
2015-03-06, 12:10 AM
Because of this thread I'm going to start reading the Deryni series. After I finish the Red Knight though.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-06, 10:47 AM
I'm have a hard time excepting this too... I spent three years fighting as a hero of the lance... is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

kellbyb
2015-03-06, 11:24 AM
I'm confused. Is there some sort of ongoing joke about Dragonlance/FR that I'm not in on? Yes, I'm seriously confused.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-06, 11:48 AM
I'm confused. Is there some sort of ongoing joke about Dragonlance/FR that I'm not in on? Yes, I'm seriously confused.

Someone said that they need to make a D20 setting for Dragonlance/Faerun and i kinda flipped out lol

kellbyb
2015-03-06, 11:54 AM
Someone said that they need to make a D20 setting for Dragonlance/Faerun and i kinda flipped out lol

Yeah, I saw that. I'm still confused. *Glances over at Dragonlance Campaign Setting book in bookshelf*

Blackhawk748
2015-03-06, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I saw that. I'm still confused. *Glances over at Dragonlance Campaign Setting book in bookshelf*

Its because apparently they didn't know about those setting books.

Ferronach
2015-03-06, 12:41 PM
Mistborn
Stormlight Archive
Warbreaker
Elantris

Major agreements from me! What is cool is that most of his major works are all connected somehow (some on the same world and others somehow else) which would make for an awesome mix-up of Sanderson game-play! :)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Belgariad or the Malloreon. Voices of Prophecy aside you could run campaigns after the events of the book, when its not a foregone conclusion that everything your do was somehow pre-ordained at the beginning of the Universe.

Although now that I think about it, if everything was supposed to happen that way, why would Belgarath need to scramble to assemble the Warriors of Prophecy in the first place?
Because it was pre-ordained that he would do so and that he would succeed :P

Someone already mentioned the Malazan books which would actually be pretty easy as the books are based on S.E.'s and I.C.E's dnd groups homebrew games. We would just need to convince them to publish their homebrew :)

The Kingkiller stuff could use a modified version of the Truenamer class I think?

I would love to see someone make a GOOD version of Firefly/Serenity and make it as awesome as they are (I know these are not books but.... a guy can always hope right? right?)

Some of the stuff by Melanie Rawn could prove interesting.

If the Riyria books by Michael J. Sullivan were made into D20 we would finally see thieves again and Elves would become insanely awesome and fun. Martial blokes could also close the gap with casters :)

and this is the problem with reading so many awesome books... you can never remember all of them for lists like this and can never decide which ones to include when you do hahahaha.

Oh and magic in Elantris worked using a precisely drawn symbol and though/word to empower it. Each symbol was based on a core symbol though. The world also has similar magics using the stuff from "Emperor's new soul" and some sort of tattooing/scarification.

aspekt
2015-03-06, 03:41 PM
I must find this Deryni Chronicles book!

The Chronicles book is actually a faux-historical text covering the major timelines in the Deryni series. I found mine on amazon or ebay.

The rpg you are looking for is based on the FUDGE ruleset, an abstracted version of GURPS. While you don't need both the core rulebook and the Deryni adaptation book they are pretty cool.

The Deryni rulebook does have a d20 conversion in the back. But reall6 FUDGE handles it so much better. Also, Kurtz was at least exposed to the game adaptation of her novels as she writes about in one of the forewords.

P.S. the developers also published a really cool wallmap of the Deryni world setting.

On a personal note I would love to be in a Charles de Lint urban fantasy game. I know there is a generic d20Mod book for urban fantasy but it seems to lean more towards Shadowrun or Cthuluesque type stories.

Afgncaap5
2015-03-06, 09:01 PM
Same for Girl Genius, which would be a ton of fun.

Honestly, if I just got this I'd probably step away from the more traditional game settings all in all. I definitely prefer gaslight fantasy to medieval fantasy.

aspekt
2015-03-06, 09:39 PM
Honestly, if I just got this I'd probably step away from the more traditional game settings all in all. I definitely prefer gaslight fantasy to medieval fantasy.

I prefer medieval fantasy. But still, Girl Genius with the right system could be pretty amazing.

Telonius
2015-03-06, 09:40 PM
Some of Gene Wolfe's books - I'd swoon if we got a New Sun/Long Sun setting.

Agent 451
2015-03-06, 11:33 PM
Someone already mentioned the Malazan books which would actually be pretty easy as the books are based on S.E.'s and I.C.E's dnd groups homebrew games. We would just need to convince them to publish their homebrew :)

There were recent talks between Erikson and some developers to do just that. (http://thewertzone.blogspot.ca/2014/06/steven-erikson-hints-that-malazan-rpg.html)

Rowan Wolf
2015-03-06, 11:38 PM
Green Ronin did a Black Company Setting.

Invader
2015-03-07, 12:17 AM
I'm another vote for Mistborn. It's been the most refreshing take on "magic" that I've read in just about ever.

I'm surprised no one has said Shannara yet. There's a lot material there for enough different classes to make it fun.

Rowan Wolf
2015-03-07, 12:31 AM
I'm another vote for Mistborn. It's been the most refreshing take on "magic" that I've read in just about ever.

I'm surprised no one has said Shannara yet. There's a lot material there for enough different classes to make it fun.

Shannara was covered in a Dragon Magazine (#286 I think)

Invader
2015-03-07, 01:14 AM
Shannara was covered in a Dragon Magazine (#286 I think)

You're right although they don't really give you much to go on.

Fatal Rose
2015-03-07, 06:10 AM
Perhaps we can make a master list of all things officials created such as GR's Thieves world/Black company, all things covered in Dragon Magazine, and high quality fanmade/homebrew d20 adaptations?

Ferronach
2015-03-09, 12:03 PM
There were recent talks between Erikson and some developers to do just that. (http://thewertzone.blogspot.ca/2014/06/steven-erikson-hints-that-malazan-rpg.html)

I think that my heart skipped a few beats there!
I call dibs on making a bridge-burning sapper extraordinaire! (Don't worry! He will only combine the worst traits of both Fid n Hedge :P)

You're right although they don't really give you much to go on.

Shannara should be fairly easy to port into 3.5 seeing as alot of the races are simmilar between the two.
Druids are well.. Druids with a few minor tweaks and possibly even more boom. (Is that even possible btw? hahaha)
Airships are covered. Magefire cannons and such can be addapted.
The only major magic issues would be the Elf Stones and they could be some enchanted pebbles...
The wishsong is somewhat bard-y with a splash of incantatrix to me.
The black staves from Kights of the Word are sort of like a Warlock's eldritch staff thingy (sorry afb and brain farting as to name).
Shadow land is the shadow plane.

Note: I have not read the Dragon mag cover of it so I apologise for any redundncies etc.

Eloel
2015-03-09, 12:24 PM
Its because apparently they didn't know about those setting books.

I would more think it's because they're not well-made (according to the poster) than non-existent. Sort of like the latter Matrix movies. I mean, people say they exist, but do they?

thorr-kan
2015-03-09, 12:36 PM
GURPS Girl Genius. It's coming. Eventually. Honest.

Jurai
2015-03-09, 01:31 PM
Xanth needs to be d20-ized. So does Thursday Next.

Nibbens
2015-03-09, 03:11 PM
21 year old me agrees.

I also second Codex Alera. I've actually been toying with brewing up something like that for use in PF. LA based on your level of natural ability, significant bonuses if you have no furies (one of the non-Aleran races), a difference between people with one strong fury and multiple weaker furies.

It's a balancing nightmare, but I actually feel that balancing that should be up to the GM. The players need to be balanced against each other, not against the world.

I second this! I love that series!

Fatal Rose
2015-03-25, 12:14 AM
I think the best way to home brew some of this stuff is to make it optimized for the world it's based off of, not try to balance it for pathfinder/dnd.

That's why I like thieves world/Black company/GOT so much, it they were made to fit the books they were based off of.

I still have yet to find the Deryni d20 stuff sadly.

Fatal Rose
2015-04-14, 11:41 AM
Two books I've read recently that were horribly boring with zero characterization; A Wizard Of Earthsea, Riddle Master Of Hed.

Awful lifeless dialogue, boring story, and reads like a chore.

However both have interesting magic systems and worlds. Both would make fantastic d20 RPGs.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-04-15, 01:45 PM
Earthsea is a tough read, but Riddle Master of Hed rocks hard.

Dance of the Gods series by Mayer Allen Brenner
Horseclans series by Robert Adams
Flinx/Humanx series by Alan Dean Foster
Drenai series by David Gemmell
The Mageworlds novels of Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald
Witch World series by Andre Norton

Fatal Rose
2015-04-21, 01:40 AM
Would anyone be interested in home brewing a d20 rpg book based on one of the aforementioned books?

I'm thinking either:
Earthsea
Riddle Master/Riddle of Stars trilogy
Lyonesse
Narnia

All of these are complete and have a lot of info available. Not so much Lyonesse though sadly. It's a darn good series.

I'm not the most knowledgable d20 gamer but I'd be willing to help in any way I possibly can.

Bullet06320
2015-04-21, 04:47 AM
there was Stargate d20
RA Salvatore's Demon War Saga has 3 or 4 d20 books
and wasn't there a Star Wars D20 as well

DarkWhisper
2015-04-21, 09:33 AM
I fully concur. At one point I heard something about a Mistborn RPG, don't know if it ever happened.

It did. (http://www.crafty-games.com/content/buy-mistborn-adventure-game)
Looks pretty nice, though I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Altair_the_Vexed
2015-04-21, 09:43 AM
Which fantasy books would you like to see adapted to d20? Personally I've far more enjoyed them when compared to the standard pathfinder/DnD books out. ...

Jack Vance Lyonesse trilogy
You must know that the default d20 magic system is based on this, yes?

Fatal Rose
2015-04-22, 11:21 AM
You must know that the default d20 magic system is based on this, yes?

I've read that before. However I do think a source book with a few supplements dedicated to it entirely would be nice though.

So I ask again, would anyone be interested in working with me on creating some awesome homebrew d20 stuff?

Fatal Rose
2015-07-02, 01:46 AM
I haven't forgotten about this thread, I'm still hoping someone is willing to work with me on something. I'm leaning towards something small, like Riddlemaster of Hed. What do all of you think?

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-02, 10:50 AM
I haven't forgotten about this thread, I'm still hoping someone is willing to work with me on something. I'm leaning towards something small, like Riddlemaster of Hed. What do all of you think?
Just a suggestion, you know, Paladin to Flora. If you post in the Homebrew Section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) you might get more hits on this. Just throw up a header for "World Building Help" or something similar.

TheIronGolem
2015-07-02, 12:33 PM
Years ago I read a book called The Misenchanted Sword. It was about a lowly army scout who wound up getting his sword enhanced with some really powerful but complicated magical effects, and the plot is about how he deals with the complications brought into his life by the sword and its power.

Though the focus of the book was on this particular magic item, there are mentions here and there of other kinds of magic and how people put it to good use. For example, Bags of Holding are a thing, and armies use them to ease logistics, but you need to put a lot of careful thought into how they're packed because they operate on a first-item-in-last-item-out basis. There are also enchanted paintings you can step through and be teleported to the location portrayed in the painting - but only if/when the visual conditions of the real place match the painting exactly.

I hear it's part of a series, and I haven't read any of the other books in it. But I figure a world with that kind of attention paid to the limits of magic and how you can work within those limits could make a pretty good game setting.

RedMage125
2015-07-05, 09:55 PM
Which fantasy books would you like to see adapted to d20? Personally I've far more enjoyed them when compared to the standard pathfinder/DnD books out.

Here's a list of what has already been adapted...

Game Of Thrones d20: This book is amazing! Not only is it a well made variant of the d20 system, its also great for fans of the series. So much content/info. I personally loved the rule changes and character development process. Me and my friends already house-ruled a lot of this into our games. My only complaint is the Knight classes (Knight/Kingsguard), they rely far too heavily on mounted combat. Historically knights were masters with weapons on foot and well versed in unarmed combat. Overall though, this is easily the best of the d20 adapted books. The changes to how combat is played is amazing.

I'd like to see this.

I know there was a Dragon Magazine back in 3.0 days covering "adventuring in Westeros". Even has stats for Stannis, Jon Snow, Jaime, and one or two others (as well as a Ranger of the Night's Watch PrC). But a whole d20 RPG about it? I'll have top check it out.

First thing I was going to suggest, glad someone beat me to it.

Also, Elenium/Tamuli.

But I can't but help feel like 4e might be better for this (maybe 5e), as magic was very uncommon, especially healing.

Let's just be honest: All of Eddings should be settings.

Was it your intent to rhyme?

Xanth needs to be d20-ized. So does Thursday Next.

You know, since I was in like 2nd grade (when Isle of View was the most recent Xanth novel), I had read Xanth. I got sick of it sometime around Yon Ill Wind or Zombie Lover, whichever came later. I don't think I could stomach an RPG (although the Board Game was awesome). And if there was one, I don't think d20 would be an appropriate system for it. There would need to be room for the DM to apply sudden improvisational silliness on the fly.

dysprosium
2015-07-06, 07:44 AM
I know there was a Dragon Magazine back in 3.0 days covering "adventuring in Westeros". Even has stats for Stannis, Jon Snow, Jaime, and one or two others (as well as a Ranger of the Night's Watch PrC). But a whole d20 RPG about it? I'll have top check it out.

Swords and Sorcery had the license at the time and had a huge d20 book for this series circa 2005.

Green Ronin has the gaming license now and use a different system for their game.