PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Witch Ideas

EvilAvocado
2015-03-05, 07:09 AM
Hi all!

I'm currently playing in a PF campaign as a Scarred Witch Doctor. Our DM has implemented something called "build points". In essence, every 5 levels we recieve a (roughly) feat equivalent power. However it can be something that doesn't exist in game.

For my first I took Ability Focus(which is normally only a monster power)

I was wondering if the playground had any ideas on things I should consider asking for for my second!

I had some vague Ideas on lowering the action economy on hexes, or maybe making one an AoE.

So! Show me your ideas!

Thanks in Advance!

Psyren
2015-03-05, 09:47 AM
For my first I took Ability Focus(which is normally only a monster power)

This is a common misconception - "monster feats" are actually open to anyone who qualifies unless the GM specifically disallows them. In fact, there are character builds in NPC Codex that use some of these so-called "monster feats."

I had some vague Ideas on lowering the action economy on hexes, or maybe making one an AoE.

So! Show me your ideas!

Thanks in Advance!

Some custom ability ideas to consider:

1) Making your Fetish Mask into an intelligent magic item (you can borrow from the Item Familiar rules here, except for the skill ranks thing.)

2) Make your Scarshield passive/constant.

3) Increase the radius of Cackle.

4) "Improved/Greater Spell Hex" that lets you hex-ify 2nd- and 3rd-level spells, respectively. This would require 10th and 15th level respectively.

5) Let your mask use Hexes on your behalf (if you get it to be intelligent), using its own Int score. (Even if its Int ends up too low for the DC to be effective, it can still do things like Cackle and Fortune on your behalf.

6) 1/day per hex, you can use it on a target a second time during the "24 hour cooldown" window.

7) Add {Int modifier} arcane spells to your list, similar to Samsaran's Mystic Past Life ability.

8) Turn a single-target Hex into multi-target/AoE as you suggested.

EvilAvocado
2015-03-05, 10:44 AM
I LOVE all your suggestion Psyren!

I already RP my mask as an intelligent item that I talk to(but no one else can hear) so thats pretty thematic.

Thanks for the rule clarification as well!

Ravens_cry
2015-03-05, 10:49 AM
#6 is Accursed Hex. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/accursed-hex) Only weaker.

Psyren
2015-03-05, 11:07 AM
#6 is Accursed Hex. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/accursed-hex) Only weaker.

1) Mine works even when they failed their save, letting you hit them again. For example, if you Slumber someone and their ally slaps them awake, you can slumber them a second time.

2) Mine works on hexes with no save, like Fortune or Ward.

Ravens_cry
2015-03-05, 12:35 PM
1) Mine works even when they failed their save, letting you hit them again. For example, if you Slumber someone and their ally slaps them awake, you can slumber them a second time.

2) Mine works on hexes with no save, like Fortune or Ward.
OK, point, but even then it basically replicates a weaker version of the Hex Vulnerability spell.

Psyren
2015-03-05, 12:37 PM
OK, point, but even then it basically replicates a weaker version of the Hex Vulnerability spell.

Disagree there too - it doesn't require a separate action prior to the second Hex usage, and it also doesn't require a separate will save.

The spell would still be useful for 3 or more repeats in a given day.

Barstro
2015-03-05, 02:30 PM
x/day Hex as a swift action.

Access to a few Wizard spells

Geddy2112
2015-03-05, 05:20 PM
Invent a new hex if none tickle your fancy. The more hexes you have the better.

EvilAvocado
2015-03-05, 05:31 PM
Invent a new hex if none tickle your fancy. The more hexes you have the better.

I REALLY like that Idea!

Have any Ideas for unique hexes then?

If it helps we are currently playing the PF port of Legacy of Fire

My DM has gotten a lot of extra notes, backstory, and ideas though so it's a bit expanded.

Geddy2112
2015-03-06, 12:39 AM
I REALLY like that Idea!

Have any Ideas for unique hexes then?

If it helps we are currently playing the PF port of Legacy of Fire

My DM has gotten a lot of extra notes, backstory, and ideas though so it's a bit expanded.

Basically pick a spell and make it a hex. Be aware there is a feat called "Spell hex" but it only lets you do this with first level spells and has limits per day. If your DM lets you juice this, higher level spells would be cool hexes, or unlimited use. Or, modify a spell to be a bit more witch friendly, like making a touch spell a ranged touch or just a target and go spell. One spell that is really great is Marid's mastery-it can buff if the target is in the water, but since most encounters won't be in water it is a nice debuff, but the touch range hurts. If the party has a sorcerer or users with glamered armor nerid's grace would be fun to throw as a buff.

Also consider getting some of the witch archtype abilities as a hex. The gravewalker has the ability to control undead and deliver touch spells from range, both great things for a witch. Since your a scarred witchdoctor, you are either branding, scarring or inking yourself to get hexes. Maybe have a hex that can inject enemies with poisoned ink from range, or give your allies weapons the bleed condition, or cause burns? See if you can take the cook people hex and modify it so you just make buff spells in normal food(if your party is evil and you wanna really get sick go for this though!).

Look to other classes unique abilities and other feats. A witch could pull off a cool bardic dirge of doom, or a druid's wild empathy, or hex a weapon to carry a spell like a magus. Modified dazzling display could be fun by showing your mask or scars and doing some cool orc stuff. Scour the bestiary: Get a nerid's ability to kiss and drown people(probably only as a major or grand hex, so at high levels) who are helpless or willing.

Basically just find a spell/ability you want that you would not otherwise have, and see how it would work into a hex or feat or whatever your DM will give it to you as.

Crazysaneman
2015-03-06, 03:05 AM
Hideous Laughter or Irresistible Dance as hexes would be cool.

atemu1234
2015-03-06, 07:10 AM

Now I want a Witch // Bard Ozzy?

Arbane
2015-03-06, 04:26 PM

That's another thing- adding spells to your list. (Why is Hideous Laughter NOT on the witch list already?)