PDA

View Full Version : So any real character generator yet out?(official or not)

Balor777
2015-03-05, 07:46 AM
Ok ive been using the SUPER chargen from the path guy(everyone that used it knows what i mean witht the term SUPER)
But looks like the wizards asked him not to have it online anymore.

As i see it, it was the best wasy to enter the 5e without character mistakes.
Now there are some autofill sheets online but thats very far from generators.

I searched online but nah.Nothing.

What you guys use?

Gwendol
2015-03-05, 08:55 AM
I used Pathguy... a shame really.

Sjappo
2015-03-05, 09:23 AM
If you look closely you can find a homebrew 5e dataset for PCGen drifting about the interwebs. It is by no means finished nor bugless or official.

EDIT: nor mine btw. I just happened across it some days ago.

Submortimer
2015-03-05, 11:26 AM
If you have an Android Device, there's a fairly nice one called Fifth Edition Character Sheet V1.50. It's got a green d20 as the icon. It doen't have EVERYTHING in it, Specifically spells or Background specifics (Bonds, flaws, and all that) but it has nearly everything else. I can make a 5th level character in about 30 seconds and be reasonably sure that i got all the info I need.

JFahy
2015-03-05, 11:37 AM
If you're an iPerson, my friend uses something called Fight Club on his iPad
and is pretty happy with it.

FightStyles
2015-03-05, 01:24 PM
If you're an iPerson, my friend uses something called Fight Club on his iPad
and is pretty happy with it.

I've seen this in use and it does seem pretty epic, although it does cost money, $5 or so IIRC.

Evilsliphell
2015-03-05, 04:33 PM
Looks like Fight Club has changed as of 5th March it says it supports 3.5 and Pathfinder but they have had to remove all stuff from PHB and can no longer use the term D&D. I hope this hasn't changed the 5th Ed content. Does anyone own the updated app and able to confirm?

ChubbyRain
2015-03-05, 04:44 PM
If you have an Android Device, there's a fairly nice one called Fifth Edition Character Sheet V1.50. It's got a green d20 as the icon. It doen't have EVERYTHING in it, Specifically spells or Background specifics (Bonds, flaws, and all that) but it has nearly everything else. I can make a 5th level character in about 30 seconds and be reasonably sure that i got all the info I need.

I got this the other day and it is fantastic, only thing I'm not liking is that you can't delevel your character all that easily.

calebrus
2015-03-05, 04:47 PM
Is it just me who feels that a character generator in 5e is almost pointless?
5e characters are quick and easy to generate. Those tools will almost make it take more time, with no real benefit. You're talking about making mistakes. What mistakes? There aren't a million different things that need to be added and accounted for on a character sheet in 5e.
What are your stats?
What proficiencies do you have?
That's all the math that needs to be done.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-05, 05:10 PM
5e characters are quick and easy to generate. Those tools will almost make it take more time, with no real benefit. You're talking about making mistakes. What mistakes? There aren't a million different things that need to be added and accounted for on a character sheet in 5e.
What are your stats?

Not at all.

A real character generator will help with spells, check your work (some people forget about MC ability score rules), and would allow for building new type of builds faster.

I can figure out really fast if my build idea is sound or not.

A real character builder would make things like finding items and spells so much faster it isn't funny.

themaque
2015-03-05, 06:07 PM
What are your stats?

I have to agree with you as well. The most in depth part of character creation for 5e is very often story related. I've made a few characters and it's been a quick plug and play ready to go.

Full Discloser, I prefer to write my characters out by hand in Pathfinder as well, however I totally understand why you would want some help in the math with THAT.

holygroundj
2015-03-06, 08:43 AM
It's not pointless. Just because it doesn't facilitate how you make characters, doesn't mean that other people have no use for it.

I love the android character creator. I bring my phone and the PHB and honestly don't even crack the PHB anymore now that I know how abilities and spells I can cast work. Whenever I gain a level I'll need the book for what the new abilities are or which spells I want. Being able to generate character concepts quickly and easily is what the creator is for: THe story I make up in my head is mine, but optimizing a character is easier with the creator.

It also allows me to compare multiclassing options, and see how they play out at each level instead of just at 20. I can do this while on the john, or eating lunch at work.

themaque
2015-03-06, 09:25 AM
words

okay, I can see your point. Useless to ME but very helpful to others who don't want/like to have to flip through the book.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-06, 01:14 PM
It is also fantastic tool for new players (to 5e and to D&D) who just want to jump in and play, but don't want a premade character. I've seen tons go through the gaming shop that hated the premades and almost didn't try again.

I showed them the android app and they loved it. They may not know all the specifics but they can make a decent character in 10 seconds and then have someone fill in th rest quite easily. One made Hermit Lore Bard (level 5) base and I filled in the rest as I would for a pregen. She was very happy with her pseudopregen more so than the pregen bard she had from the week before.

JFahy
2015-03-06, 02:50 PM
Fight Club has some cute features like a photo album - sometimes he'll get his
camera down on the table and take miniature's-eye shots when something
really outrageous is happening.

Sad to hear about the cease-and-desist action. I know they're within their
rights, but it's still not a feel-good story.

themaque
2015-03-06, 02:57 PM
What's really annoying is when a company sends out a C&D but then they have no alternatives available.

JFahy
2015-03-06, 03:08 PM
What's really annoying is when a company sends out a C&D but then they have no alternatives available.

Exactly. On the day they launch their own generator my reservations
would vanish, but until then...doesn't feel good.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-06, 05:57 PM
The android app now let's you export to google docs, it is downloading so I'll give an update when I see how it goes.

Works!

Palorin
2015-03-08, 02:36 PM
The Fight Club 5 app is awesome, and is one of the best purchases I've ever ever made. The updated app looks a little slicker and is essentially the same app. Leo (the developer) was forced to remove all spells, equipment and companion information from the app. However, he did add Dropbox import functions, and if you putter around in the page of a certain popular social website the full lists have already been compiled.