PDA

View Full Version : Binder/Warlock hybrid

redzimmer
2015-03-05, 01:08 PM
I always felt these two classes would be well served being blended into one, with vestiges providing the invocations and the general nature of the Bindlock (Warnder?) providing the eldritch energies.

Has such an undertaking been done yet? Search as usual has proved disappointing (mostly just Rule 34 and slashfic - who knew warlocks like bondage so much?).

weckar
2015-03-05, 01:15 PM
I've seen attempts at a theurge PrC, but most of those are quite OP.

Psyren
2015-03-05, 01:21 PM
With a clever dip or two, you can cheat your way into Anima Mage and use it to progress both Binder and Warlock. Other than arcane progression though, It doesn't have anything that benefits warlocks specifically.

Telonius
2015-03-05, 01:23 PM
I haven't delved too deeply into it, but 5e's Warlock class seems to be doing something like it. You might be able to back-port it to 3.5 with a bit of work.

prufock
2015-03-05, 01:23 PM
Well, gestalt would be the easy answer. Really, all you need to do is append eldritch blast to the binder class, then make new vestiges that duplicate warlock invocations.

I've played a Warlock/Binder/Anima Mage build before, and it's actually quite fun. My DM nicely adapted Anima Mage so that I could enter easier and get some real class features from it.

Thurbane
2015-03-05, 03:03 PM
Binder X/Dread Necro 1/Warlock X/Anima Mage 10/Legacy Champion X

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-05, 04:03 PM
I always felt these two classes would be well served being blended into one, with vestiges providing the invocations and the general nature of the Bindlock (Warnder?) providing the eldritch energies.

Has such an undertaking been done yet? Search as usual has proved disappointing (mostly just Rule 34 and slashfic - who knew warlocks like bondage so much?).
You're talking about a homebrew class with features of both, right?

It wouldn't be hard. It'd probably wind up looking a lot like the binder, though-- most of the vestiges already give passive and/or at-will abilities. You could probably take the binder, replace Pact Augmentation and Soul Guardian with Eldrich Blast and whatever other Warlock class features you feel necessary, and call it a day. Maybe write some new vestiges to grant powers analogous to the most interesting/distinctive invocations, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Zaq
2015-03-05, 09:17 PM
I haven't delved too deeply into it, but 5e's Warlock class seems to be doing something like it. You might be able to back-port it to 3.5 with a bit of work.

On that note, 4e had the Vestige Pact Warlock, which was basically exactly this. The 4e mechanics don't back-port terribly well, though, at least not if you're looking for something that resembles the 3.5 Binder and the 3.5 Warlock.

Snowbluff
2015-03-05, 11:44 PM
Binder X/Dread Necro 1/Warlock X/Anima Mage 10/Legacy Champion X

Or omit the DN with Precocious Apprentice (and Magical Training, depending on your reading). :smalltongue:

malonkey1
2015-03-06, 01:58 PM
Or omit the DN with Precocious Apprentice (and Magical Training, depending on your reading). :smalltongue:

Although, I think with PA on Warlock, you have to pick a Universal spell, because it notes that you need to "Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to." Thankfully, there are one or two Universal Non-Familiar spells.

Eldan
2015-03-06, 02:44 PM
Depends on what yo uwant from it, I suppose. One could easily make a series of vestiges that would give all Warlock powers to a binder.