PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Some questions about tripping.

Elric VIII
2015-03-05, 01:21 PM
I'm currently in a Rise of the Runelords game and I was hoping to clarify a few things about tripping and CMB in PF.

What bonuses apply to CMB? A bard's inspire courage? An inquisitor's judgements? A slayer's studied target? etc?

Does flanking add a bonus to CMB?

If the above are "yes," where can I find those specific rules?

Can you trip a character getting up from prone? Or is there a way to prevent characters from standing up/make it harder?

Psyren
2015-03-05, 01:25 PM
1) All of the above - CMB is an attack, so anything that boosts attack rolls will boost it. In addition, trip uses your weapon, so anything that specifically increases attack rolls with that weapon (e.g. your weapon's enhancement, or Weapon Focus) will also apply to your trip check.

2) Yes.

3) "When you attempt to perform a combat maneuver, make an attack roll and add your CMB in place of your normal attack bonus. Add any bonuses you currently have on attack rolls due to spells, feats, and other effects. These bonuses must be applicable to the weapon or attack used to perform the maneuver." (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Bonus)

4) This one is a matter of contention. Standing creatures generally provoke, but it's unclear if they are considered prone or standing when you hit them. Your GM may have to weigh in here.

Elric VIII
2015-03-05, 01:31 PM
That was quick. Thank you.

I will bring up the tripping while standing issue with my DM as the other players were saying I could do it, but my DM was getting a bit frustrated.

Barstro
2015-03-05, 03:06 PM
4) This one is a matter of contention. Standing creatures generally provoke, but it's unclear if they are considered prone or standing when you hit them. Your GM may have to weigh in here.

The logic I heard is;
The act of "rising" provokes AoO.
"Rising" means you are not yet "Stood up"
One cannot trip he who is not "Stood up"
(Problems with English using "Standing" as a verb and state of being)

The tripped person always has the option of attacking from prone.

To do it any other way allows for the Tripper to lock down enemies.

EDIT: I'd also allow a Trip at +10, since the person is about as steady as a person can be, since he's on all fours with weight on each limb.