PDA

View Full Version : skirmish and sneak

True believer
2015-03-05, 01:58 PM
Does skirmish stuck with sneak attack ????????

Strormer
2015-03-05, 01:59 PM
As I understand it, no. Precision damage doesn't stack unless it's stated in the description.

BowStreetRunner
2015-03-05, 02:00 PM
If you can create a situation where both skirmish damage and sneak attack damage are triggered, then yes they both would stack. However, they still each are triggered by very different circumstances, so if you are playing a character with both there will be lots of times only one or the other is triggered.

Flickerdart
2015-03-05, 02:02 PM
As I understand it, no. Precision damage doesn't stack unless it's stated in the description.
Skirmish and sneak attack are both untyped bonuses to damage (precision is not a bonus type) so they stack as long as they are from different sources.

Zaq
2015-03-05, 02:11 PM
Skirmish and sneak attack are both untyped bonuses to damage (precision is not a bonus type) so they stack as long as they are from different sources.

Even if they're from the same source (like levels of Rogue with the Swift Ambusher feat), they're two different abilities, so they both apply (assuming that the attack in question meets the criteria for each).

Strormer
2015-03-05, 02:13 PM
I stand corrected.

BowStreetRunner
2015-03-05, 02:17 PM
Even if they're from the same source (like levels of Rogue with the Swift Ambusher feat), they're two different abilities, so they both apply (assuming that the attack in question meets the criteria for each).
Actually in this case each ability acts as a different source. Whether you get your skirmish from Scout levels or Rogue levels with Swift Ambusher, the source is the ability not the class levels. Similarly, a Ranger with Swift Hunter would consider his Favored Class bonus a different source of damage than his skirmish bonus as each comes from a different ability.

Flickerdart
2015-03-05, 02:18 PM
That's not the same source, though. One is called Sneak Attack and one is called Skirmish. Swift Ambusher just gives you both.

As opposed to something like a Rogue/Assassin where the Assassin's ability explicitly has to say "this stacks with the Rogue's" for it to work.

Zaq
2015-03-05, 02:29 PM
That's not the same source, though. One is called Sneak Attack and one is called Skirmish. Swift Ambusher just gives you both.

As opposed to something like a Rogue/Assassin where the Assassin's ability explicitly has to say "this stacks with the Rogue's" for it to work.

I suppose that's fair, though I can't think of any examples where one single ability would give you both Sneak Attack and Skirmish and not be two sources, given that they are two separate abilities. (I know Unseen Seer can give Sneak Attack or Skirmish, but it can't give both at the same time, so I don't think that qualifies.)

Basically, since Sneak Attack and Skirmish are two separate abilities, it's kind of unnecessary to specify that they have to be from different sources, since they are different sources (and can't be anything but).

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-05, 06:38 PM
I suppose that's fair, though I can't think of any examples where one single ability would give you both Sneak Attack and Skirmish and not be two sources, given that they are two separate abilities. (I know Unseen Seer can give Sneak Attack or Skirmish, but it can't give both at the same time, so I don't think that qualifies.)

Basically, since Sneak Attack and Skirmish are two separate abilities, it's kind of unnecessary to specify that they have to be from different sources, since they are different sources (and can't be anything but).

Right, but the rule isn't just about Sneak Attack and Skirmish. It's a general rule that says that ANY untyped bonuses will stack if they're from different sources. It's not a question of whether your Sneak Attack and Skirmish are coming from the same source (which, as you have correctly concluded will be never). Sneak Attack and Skirmish are not bonuses; they provide untyped bonus damage. The rule about coming from different named sources is what tells us that these abilities will always stack, because the source of the bonuses are the abilities themselves (not feats or levels) and Sneak Attack and Skirmish are separate entities.