PDA

View Full Version : Undifferentiated damage bonuses?

Zaq
2015-03-05, 02:26 PM
What sources of bonuses to damage rolls (or I suppose just to damage, though I doubt we'd find anything with exactly that phrasing) are out there that don't specify what kind of damage rolls you have to have? Most bonuses to damage rolls, for example, specify that they work with weapon damage, but I know that there are a rare few that don't specify, and they work just as well for weapon attacks and spells and Su abilities and SLAs and whatever.

That said, I don't know of very many of them. The only ones I can actually think of are Knowledge Devotion and a Binder's pact augmentation. (There are a couple others that don't directly specify weapon damage but do have some limiting factor or another—an Evil Incarnate's Incarnum Radiance and Incarnum Avatar both give bonuses to "melee damage rolls," but that should work with a touch spell as well as with a weapon.) That said, I'm sure there has to be more out there.

What other ones can you think of? I'd be truly surprised if Knowledge Devotion and Pact Augmentation are truly the only undifferentiated damage bonuses in the entire 3.5 canon.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-05, 02:36 PM
Divine favor applies to damage for everything except for spells so SLA, Psionics, Weapons, SU abilities, and EX abilities all work with it.

Zaq
2015-03-05, 02:39 PM
Divine favor applies to damage for everything except for spells so SLA, Psionics, Weapons, SU abilities, and EX abilities all work with it.

I don't think that's true. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divineFavor.htm)

Divine Favor
Evocation
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute

Calling upon the strength and wisdom of a deity, you gain a +1 luck bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls for every three caster levels you have (at least +1, maximum +3). The bonus doesn’t apply to spell damage.

It's just weapon damage rolls, like 95% of the rest of damage bonuses out there.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-05, 02:40 PM
I don't think that's true. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divineFavor.htm)

It's just weapon damage rolls, like 95% of the rest of damage bonuses out there.

Why don't I read before I post?

Zaq
2015-03-05, 02:42 PM
Happens to the best of us.

What else is out there? Like I said, I'm going to be very surprised if those two in my first post are truly 100% of the undifferentiated damage bonuses in all of 3.5.

EDIT: I did find one more: a Crusader's Furious Counterstrike ability applies to all damage rolls, not just weapon damage rolls. (A bit unlikely for a Crusader to be making damage rolls that aren't weapon damage rolls, but stranger things have happened.)

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-05, 04:27 PM
Ok I've got one to make up for my earlier idiocy.

The Arcane strike feat says:

When you activate this feat (a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity), you can channel arcane energy into a melee weapon, your unarmed strike, or natural weapons. You must sacrifice one of your spells for the day (of 1st level or higher) to do this, but you gain a bonus on all your attack rolls for 1 round equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, as well as extra damage equal to 1d4 points x the level of the spell sacrificed. The bonus you add to your attack rolls from this feat cannot be greater than your base attack bonus.

It says that you can imbue arcane energy into a melee weapon, unarmed strike or natural weapon BUT regardless of what you're imbuing arcane energy into ALL your attack rolls gain a bonus and there are no restrictions as to when the extra damage is added.

sideswipe
2015-03-06, 06:36 AM
sneak attack, skirmish, iaijitsu focus (strict RAW) and knowledge devotion all add to any damage type including weapon like spells (and ability damage spells if you get strict RAW).

Zaq
2015-03-06, 10:27 AM
sneak attack, skirmish, iaijitsu focus (strict RAW) and knowledge devotion all add to any damage type including weapon like spells (and ability damage spells if you get strict RAW).

Yes and no. Sneak Attack and the like don't specify that you have to attack with a weapon, but you do still have to attack. No attack roll, no Sneak Attack. So it will work with Eldritch Blast and Orb of Fire, but it won't work with Burning Hands or a DFA's breath weapon.

Knowledge Devotion is the exception, but it's already been mentioned.

sideswipe
2015-03-06, 08:25 PM
Yes and no. Sneak Attack and the like don't specify that you have to attack with a weapon, but you do still have to attack. No attack roll, no Sneak Attack. So it will work with Eldritch Blast and Orb of Fire, but it won't work with Burning Hands or a DFA's breath weapon.

Knowledge Devotion is the exception, but it's already been mentioned.

that is why i specified weapon like spells, which i believe are defined usually by needing an attack roll.

but yes you are correct.