PDA

View Full Version : hobgoblin army help

dantiesilva
2015-03-05, 02:36 PM
I am about to start dming a game in which the 4 pcs will be on a quest to figure out what happened to a trading outpost that has gone silent. When they arrive their they will find signs of a battle as well as scorch marks, from what they won't know.

My question is how should I design the hobgoblins in question? The players are all 5th level and gestalt.

Divine minion 2/master of many forms 3// swordsage 5

Pixie rogue Warnock

Warnock/DFA

And I'm still waiting for the last character who was playing a cleric 5/ scout 3/ranger 2

Blackhawk748
2015-03-05, 02:57 PM
Well hobgoblins are very disciplined so i could see Fighter or Warblade levels, usually with a mind for fighting as a unit. So one row of shields and the back row with reach weapons, maybe with a bard or two for buffing.

Afool
2015-03-05, 03:11 PM
The real question is, how competent do you want the hobgoblins to be? I can easily see them taking advantage of siege equipment and Tucker like tactics, but in the end, it will depend on how prominently you want these hobgoblins to feature in your campaign and what resources you want them to have available to them.

Elder_Basilisk
2015-03-05, 03:16 PM
I'd advise you to scour the Red Hand of Doom thread for ideas. The module deals with a hobgoblin army invading a sparsely populated and lightly defended valley and all of the ideas for beefing up or adjusting encounters can probably be adapted to your campaign. You might even just decide that you like the sound of the adventure and adapt the whole adventure to your campaign.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?171284-The-3-5-Red-Hand-Of-Doom-Handbook-for-DMs-Major-spoilers!-WIP-PEACH!

dantiesilva
2015-03-05, 03:18 PM
Well they are the servants of a powerful devil summoned, yes some devils will fill their ranks as shock and awe tactics. And they would be competent in battle.