PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for a survivor (3.5)

huttj509
2015-03-05, 03:31 PM
I'm in a rather deadly adventure (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft), and finally lost my character (he had been the only one who had survived since the start). Pondering a couple options for my next, but one thought is a character built to just survive what the module throws at me. Not sure where to start though.

Stats pre race (were rolled, must be in order, can swap 2 of them):
Str: 17
Dex: 7
Con: 11
Int: 14
Wis: 11
Cha: 13

8th level, unlikely to get beyond 10th

Ways folks have died:
monster in church basement with high to hit, and auto-stunned any non evil character hit for a round (no save)
sneak attack ambush (in the surprise round)
demons most people couldn't take down easily (resistant to energy, decent DR, only I had a cold iron weapon)
Con damage from slimes, + con drain from Wraiths in a pit trap (this was how my Warblade bit it)
there's been a few more, can't recall.

Any suggestions for making the GM annoyed that I haven't died yet...again? I mean, my warblade's "secret motivation" never even got to come up.

Demidos
2015-03-05, 05:26 PM
...Those are nasty stats. Str but no con excludes most of the tankier classes....unless you went undead. Going some sort of bone creature (check with your DM, I am not aware of it having an LA) or even better, a 1st level ghost (online monster class) who used to be a star elf giving you ghost touch on items at night. That could actually be pretty interesting, since it has some interesting playstyles placed on it. Weapon crystals are cheap for ghost touch though.

If you want optimization of tanky-ness, a lockdown unseelie fey (insert undead) paladin of tyranny/blackguard would get you your charisma to saves twice, be immune to most all effects (make sure to hide your undeadness so it doesnt get immediately targeted), would prevent people from entering within 15 or 20 feet of you and uh...yeah. It would be generally pretty tough overall. Bonus points if you were created in an unhallowed/desecrated area with a altar and/or by a creature with corpsecrafter.

If you dont want to play a mage again, perhaps a summoner? Or summoning as a ghost?

-----
Summary-- If you want Hard to kill, ghost (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) is hard to beat. You can go straight ghost (and continue it past 5th with master of the unseen hand) or branch out into mage or martial.

Zweisteine
2015-03-05, 07:27 PM
If anything goes, take the feat Troll Blooded (Dragon 319), and pick up fire and acid immunity somewhere.

Getting mantle of the fiery spirit (Sandstorm) cast on you grants the fire subtype, which comes with the corresponding immunity, but the price is steep, and you'd need someone to cast it on you. It'd cost something like 16360 gp, including the standard conversion for 2000 experience.

The voidmind template grants immunity to acid (and mind-affecting effects, and a bunch of other abilities). +3 LA.

The half-undead template (the Gheden subtemplate, specifically; Dragon 313) grants immunity to nonlethal damage. And only a +1 LA. If you don't like it, go Necropolitan. This also removes the problem of having such a low constitution.

Congratulations! You are now immune to all damage and mind control! Build whatever you want with your other 5 levels! Maybe a monk? Or something particularly good at avoiding capture, preferable.

Oh, and you're fatigued whenever in sunlight. But I don't expect that to be a problem in Ravenloft...

EDIT:
For less cheese, just take the first feat, and be necropolitan. Then you're only hurtable by fire and acid.
Or just the feat, but then you can be knocked out.

EDIT 2:

Weapon crystals are cheap for ghost touch though.
And there a feat (in Ghostwalk, if I remember correctly) that lets ghosts touch normal things.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-05, 07:54 PM
Swap your str and int and build a wizard with good UMD, some karma beads, craft contingent spell, a thought bottle and celerity and have a character that can take as many actions as you want any time you want.

I can't imagine the module having anything that can hurt a character like that.

Fouredged Sword
2015-03-05, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I would build towards total immunity through Troll blooded.

Warforged dragon shaman 9 / warforged juggernaut 5 with troll blooded. Take the fire souled template and two flaws to get troll blooded at 1st level along side adimantium body. At 9th level of dragon shaman, you gain acid immunity, so switch to getting ALL the other immunities through juggernaut.

By the end you are immune to HP damage, ability damage/drain, death effects, mind effecting abilities, and just about anything anyone can throw at you.