PDA

View Full Version : Project Cycle of Rebirth - The Tree-World of Ydris

Lost in Hyrule
2015-03-05, 04:22 PM
I have been playing D&D with a group of friends for several years. We have played off-an-on, and we swap around DM's a lot. Normally, we get a handful of sessions in per party, then move on to new characters when someone else rotates in. I decided, with their approval, that I'd like to take over the DM role for a more long term campaign so that we can really establish some in character legends!

Because I am prideful or something, I really want the world we do this in to be my own. Reading the Gaming articles on this site, as well as reading some of the stuff about the Red Tide campaign setting, really got me excited for crafting my own world! I want to discuss those ideas here, to see what sorts of implications they have for the world at large. Some of this stuff would be secret to the players, hence the reason I'm bringing it to the Playground!

The World
The world (that I am tentatively calling Ydris, because it's the best I've thought up so far) is a massive tree. I am only aiming to flesh out a single land upon this world, which will be found along a flat section of one of the branches. I am thinking a land the size of Middle Earth could easily fit the width of this branch. So, the vast majority of people, at least in this area, do no know they are upon a tree.

This tree was grown the by the 'God' of life, growth, and goodness. It wants happiness and health for the people on the tree. It wants people to have a full, happy life. As such, whenever someone dies, they are reborn into the world healthy and with their memories. A 'seed' descends from the leaves of the tree at dusk, and at dawn, it lands wherever that person considers home. They are restored to optimal physical state, but without any of their possessions. So, if you are slain in a war with the orcs, your armor and weapons remain on the battlefield, but the next morning, you're naked on the doorstep of your family home.

Your physical potential is limited when you 'spawn'. A person is only capable of so much. After studying and training, they reach their potential. However, once they 'respawn', this potential is reset to match their new capabilities. Essentially, one must die in order to keep improving, like rungs on a ladder.

There is an opposing 'God' of the opposite things above. One of its weapons is fire. Fire is an extremely destructive force in this world. For one, the world is a magic tree, and as such, susceptible to catching fire itself. So, fires that aren't controlled very closely can turn into blazes rather easily. Additionally, burns do not heal the same way from 'respawn'. Being killed in a fire takes much longer to come back than simply the next morning. Body parts lost in a fire come back charred. As time goes on, they may flake and peel, eventually turning to pinkish scar, but it never goes back to normal without powerful healing magic. Only depraved individuals would be willing to use fire as a weapon.

The Details, In No Particular Order
The stars are the twinkling lights of the seeds among the leaves of the tree, as well as small gaps to the outside. The sun is a lens or mirror that rotates about the central axis of the tree. So, it may become Dawn when the sun is to the East and Dusk when it is to the West, but it doesn't set over the horizon. It instead 'turns' out of sight.

Within the 'ground' are rivers that can be found by miners. Some are carrying fresh water (I would presume out to the leaves), while others are carrying a mystic liquid (which is essentially sap, probably flowing the opposite direction). The liquid will definitely have 'properties'!

Due to the nature of fire, an organization will be throughout the land of Arcane Firefighters (I need name ideas for lots of things). They are exactly what they sound like. A council of Archmages of this order are some of the only people in the world who have studied fire magic, but they do so solely in order to learn the perfect firefighting techniques for any situation.

In the distant past, a fire raged out of control in part of this land. Prayers were eventually heeded, and a potent rain fell that extinguished the blaze. This area is now a desert coated in magical energies that are somewhat haywire. A church arose named after the Tears of the Goddess who they believe answered their pleas. The Firefighters are associated with this church.

People don't know there are only 2 'Gods' in play. They have their own ideas of gods and worship them in lots of different ways. The 2 only care if people are aligned with them over all or not, so the specifics do not concern them. The 1 strives for life for the tree and happiness for its inhabitants, while the other strives to destroy the tree, in part through misery of the inhabitants. (Badguy is way jealous of Goodguy's gardening skills, essentially)

Souls leave the body in a visible way, and bodies fade away after death. Exact timing, I am not sure. I was first thinking that a soul leaves the body and flows out to the leaves about 5 minutes after death (meaning necromancy must be performed in this timeframe), and the body disappears upon the next dusk. I am now leaning towards 15 minutes after death, body and soul fade away, Yoda-style. For practical, perhaps 'science-y' reasons, the stipulation is that the soul is contained within the heart. Everything connected to the heart goes with it. So, if you remove something's heart, everything else stays. So, hunting and slaughtering of animals work fine, meaning meat is allowed!

Some Implications
Fire being a frightening force, people strive to minimize their use for it. Firehouses are communal buildings in towns and villages where a single fire is kept, under watch of firefighters, for communal cooking purposes. Forging may be done on the other half of the room. (Possibly the Sap can be used in some way for one or the other. The Sap is flammable in my mind, though, so they would not be used together)

Villages hold celebrations for trainees who have completed their apprenticeship or what not. They celebrate in the evening, with the Sap being used to lift spirits. The person who is being celebrated is given a special dose shortly before dusk which causes them to overdose, dying peacefully. The next dawn, the celebration resumes with the return of the person who is full of new potential!

Criminals can be punished severely via branding. As branding does not heal properly, the marks stay with them. Additionally, bounty hunting is a very interesting job. The easiest method is to identify your target, discover where they consider home, kill them, then shackle them the next morning on their doorstep, with no weapons, armor, or prepared spells.

Sorry for the absolute wall of text! :smallsmile: That's my world, to start with. I'm hoping there aren't some issues that fundamentally break it. Let's discuss it so it can become something fully realized!

enderlord99
2015-03-09, 07:44 AM
(I am under the impression that hemlock is a painless and fast poison. I will definitely change that if I find I am wrong)

Well, it's definitely a poison, but the adjectives couldn't be much further from the truth...

Maybe instead, they overdose on that sap you mentioned?

Lost in Hyrule
2015-03-09, 09:15 AM
I like that better! Since it is meant to be a celebration, a focused overdose on something fun seems a better way to make it happen.

enderlord99
2015-03-09, 01:01 PM
I like that better! Since it is meant to be a celebration, a focused overdose on something fun seems a better way to make it happen.

You might want to update the OP, then.

Egregious Kelly
2015-03-09, 08:55 PM
This is awefully creative; I like!

What other resources are available to the Ydrisians? (Ydrians? Ydrese? Ydrisites? what do they call themselves?) I'm assuming the area the game takes place in looks much like a conventional world, dirt, plants, rivers, stones, etc? If you dig enough, will you find metals? Perhaps the sap, when properly treated, sets into a metallic substance suitable for tools, armor, etc.

A nasty necromancy spell could be one that would reset or scramble where the soul considered home, so respawning would take place in a random spot, or some other specified area. Don't like someone? Kill them, cast the spell, have them respawn somewhere far away while you mess up all they hold dear while they're traveling back.

Lost in Hyrule
2015-03-12, 11:30 AM
I like Ydrians. Fewer syllables is usually a good thing, if I want folks to remember it!

The world does look very typical to the residents. Metals and gems can be found in the ground as they can in any world. Essentially, the bark of the tree acts just as the crust of Earth. It is significantly thinner, though. Once you get past the bark, the veins of water and sap can be found, and the strata look like thick layers of sedimentary rock, though they are actually the rings of the tree.

I want the sap to be an important part of the world, but not a focus by any means. I'm thinking of calling it 'lifewine', as I like the name from Bastion and think it is suitable. It is a fluid that helps add a bit of 'life' to whatever it is applied. Therefore, lots of different cultures use it in various ways. Most utilize it to lift the spirits without some of the drawbacks of alcohol, though it is used sparingly, as it has to be imported most places. It can be used on crops to help boost the harvest. It can be used in crafts to make them 'come alive' as the artistic saying goes. Master weaponsmiths make special blades tempered with lifewine. Essentially, anywhere water matters, lifewine can be used for just a little extra 'oomph'.

Lifewine can be found in the underground rivers mentioned above, but maybe only one civilization has mined one out and begun to use it. Most sources come from aboveground springs that form small pools of the golden liquid. People gather, process, and ship out what they have, but they can't speed up the rate at which the spring produces the liquid. Thus, supply stays somewhat low throughout most of the lands.

Necromancy is dominated by evil magics like what you suggested. Zombies and skeletons and the like can only be created from bodies before the soul escapes. That means that a person cannot be brought back as long as a zombie of them still exists. Destroying the undead will release the soul for normal rebirth. Taking out the necromancer will also unleash any undead he has trapped. As necromancy is really the magic of manipulating life energies, your idea is fantastic Kelly! They can alter the normal life process by changing where a person returns.

One of the things I think will show up much later in the campaign is the idea of permanent injury or death. The god of Decay is fighting against the tree, and one of those manifestations is parasitic fungus. If these forces are utilized by evil cultists, they begin to change the way threats are perceived. A blade corrupted by Decay might cause a scar that doesn't heal. Anyone that learns of this may begin to panic, as it has been unheard of throughout known history. (This is definitely not the sort of thing you spring on the players! Lots of buildup and attention would be payed to it) Death from a source of Decay would be the end.

I'm beginning to work on the ideas for various kingdoms and factions within the world now. I see that lots of the settings in this forum have a bit more concrete details about specific nations when they are posted. It's on the to-do list!

Egregious Kelly
2015-03-13, 06:57 PM
Lifewine, when made into a lacquer, can preserve flowers indefinitely as works of art.

The Blighter prestige class suits servants of Decay pretty well.

Does old age affect people? Can someone 'die' of old age? If everyone is immortal, then that means there are some really powerful individuals out there.

Also, in RL there appears to be a limit to how much information a person's mind and memories can hold. People with perfect memory tend to go a bit psychotic after a while; a person with a few hundred years worth of memories may also go a bit off. To stave this off, perhaps some people voluntarily remove their hearts, preserve them in lifewine or spirits and go into stasis for a hundred years or so. The church may have a roomful of paladin hearts to break open in case of emergency. Combine that with some morally ambiguous use of necromancy, and you can deploy a force of soldiers anywhere in the world.

Huh, teleportation seems to be a necromantic effect round these parts.

Mith
2015-03-14, 05:46 PM
One thing to add to this world would be that an individual struck with Decay can be saved with Immolation, since although it kills them, it also cleanses the body of the Decay and thus they will eventually be restored.

enderlord99
2015-03-15, 12:24 PM
One thing to add to this world would be that an individual struck with Decay can be saved with Immolation, since although it kills them, it also cleanses the body of the Decay and thus they will eventually be restored.

That doesn't make sense, considering fire basically is a source of decay...

Mith
2015-03-15, 02:39 PM
OK. I don't associate rot and fire together, and since the people still use fire, I was thinking that fire wasn't a "dark" power, but just something that can easily become destructive if not handled with care, while decay is actively evil.

Lost in Hyrule
2015-03-16, 03:47 PM
Fire is extremely dangerous, but ultimately it is just a tool. The dark forces use it as a weapon without compassion, but it isn't evil in itself.

I'm not certain on burning away Decay, though. It wouldn't be the most sensible move for the dark God to employ one weapon that countered his very essence in the world.

Old age still takes people when it's their time to go, though I am doing a little hand-waving as to what separates death of old age from death due to illness. People are meant to live a fulfilling life to a ripe, old age before moving on to the next life.

I have a point I'd like some help in considering. I'm wondering how the 'will to live' impacts the rebirth cycle. Perhaps a Paladin has done many years of hard service, rooting out many sources of evil. Due to his renown, he is the target of a poisoning. As he dies, he thinks how his squire is already filling his boots in a wonderful way, and he would rather move on to the afterlife than go another round with a petty villain. Does he move on or come back?

In another scenario, what if a person is found to be all alone in the world. For whatever reason, they have no family or friends left, and their home is in the middle of the desert. They aren't strong enough to get out of the desert on their own, so they repeatedly die of starvation and exposure. Perpetually lonely, this person would be miserable and want to not come back. Would his desire to move on make it so? Would the state of stress and misery cause them to reach 'old age' more quickly? What sort of approach do you think I should take?

I think the second scenario there is the correct one to take. If everyone could instantly move on to a Celestial home, then why is anyone still around?

I have a map sketched out with some high level ideas about what peoples are found where. It'll definitely take some refining and some zooming in for detail, but I'd be happy to share what I have. Are there suggestions for any simple mapping tools? I'm certain Paint will work in a pinch!

aspekt
2015-03-26, 01:13 AM
You should check out the lore for the old mmorpg Ryzom. Their crafting system was built on animal resources and sap gathered from the planet - tree game world.

Lost in Hyrule
2015-04-01, 10:12 AM
Ryzom seems like a very interesting idea! I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before.

The different factions in that got me thinking on a tangent about how different groups will behave in Ydris. Most of my thoughts on it have come from the point of view of the starting human kingdom for the campaign I'll be running. They have celebrations the culminate in an execution to bring a person back improved and refreshed. However, other groups may view the rebirth quite differently. Some may see it as a challenge to do as much as possible with each life, meaning they honor those who have accomplished great things with few deaths, and see those with a high number as foolish or weak. Others may revere the gift of rebirth, and as such avoid death in every circumstance, so that when it does come, it is still valued and treated as sacred. Others may view it as a fundamental tool, choosing to be reborn rather than face any drawback, so long as time is not a concern.

The implications of this world have been a lot of fun to think up!