PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Classing Question

Tonden Ockay
2015-03-05, 04:53 PM
Multi-Classing Question

Hi

If I have a 12th level character with 10 levels as a Eldrithch Knight and 2 levels as a Wizard how many spell slots would he have?

Daishain
2015-03-05, 04:58 PM
The same as a L5 Wizard. You add on the slots as if each Eldritch knight level counted as one third of a Wizard level

heavyfuel
2015-03-05, 05:00 PM
Note that while you have the same spell slots as a Wizard 5, you can only cast as a 2nd level Wizard and as a 10th lv EK. You only get more spell slots.

Tonden Ockay
2015-03-05, 05:10 PM
How many cantrips would he have?

If his INT is 13 how many spells could he know?

heavyfuel
2015-03-05, 05:13 PM
How many cantrips would he have?

If his INT is 13 how many spells could he know?

The sum of Wizard cantrips (2) and EK cantrips (3). So 5 cantrips total.

Spells known don't care for Int, so he would know 7 EK spells, and any spells from Wizard (though your spellbook would have the 6 initial spells, plus 2 spells from level 2)

Sullivan
2015-03-05, 05:13 PM
Same as you're wizard level. everything scales 1 to 1 until you talk about spell slots.

calebrus
2015-03-05, 05:18 PM
As others have said:
You know the spells that a lvl 10 EK knows.
You have the spells of a lvl 2 wizard in your spellbook, and can prepare lvl+IntMod.
You know the cantrips from both classes (3 wiz, 3 EK, totaling 6).

For slots:
EK lvl 10 (divided by 3, rounded down) is 3
Wiz lvl 2
3+2=5, so you have the slots of a 5th level caster according to the multiclass chart, granting 3rd level slots.
But you don't know any 3rd level spells, so those slots can only be used to cast the spells which you do know (and get more effect from them in some cases if they scale by spell slot).

Tonden Ockay
2015-03-05, 05:43 PM
What level would the Cantrips be cast at?

I read that they go up as you level.

Daishain
2015-03-05, 05:45 PM
What level would the Cantrips be cast at?

I read that they go up as you level.
Not all, but some do. Its the mage's verson of the extra attacks martial characters get.

Last I heard, RAI was cantrip upgrades are based on character level, not class level

So, any "upgradable" cantrips you got as a wizard will be treated the same as if you had been a single class L12 wizard, and the reverse is true as well.

calebrus
2015-03-05, 05:50 PM
Not all, but some do. Its the mage's verson of the extra attacks martial characters get.

Last I heard, RAI was cantrip upgrades are based on character level, not class level

So, any "upgradable" cantrips you got as a wizard will be treated the same as if you had been a single class L12 wizard, and the reverse is true as well.

Correct.
Cantrips are based on character level.
So, for example, a 7th level High Elf Barbarian with no caster levels at all, who took Shocking Grasp for his racial cantrip, deals 2d8 damage with it.

Tonden Ockay
2015-03-05, 05:55 PM
This is sounding kind of cool. I have a player who would like to play a Shadow Kinght. Something like the Shadow Knight class in EverQuest. Which is just a Fighter in full plate who could cast spells.

That said I don't think the EK class gets heavy armor do they?

calebrus
2015-03-05, 05:58 PM
This is sounding kind of cool. I have a player who would like to play a Shadow Kinght. Something like the Shadow Knight class in EverQuest. Which is just a Fighter in full plate who could cast spells.

That said I don't think the EK class gets heavy armor do they?

Yes, they do.
EK is a subclass. It will never remove proficiencies. It will sometimes add more, however.
And any caster can cast in any armor that he's proficient in, so if he has heavy armor proficiency (like a fighter does), he can cast in full plate.

Daishain
2015-03-05, 06:38 PM
Yes, they do.
EK is a subclass. It will never remove proficiencies. It will sometimes add more, however.
And any caster can cast in any armor that he's proficient in, so if he has heavy armor proficiency (like a fighter does), he can cast in full plate.
Just to clarify, the above is true if your first level is in Fighter.

If you started in something else like wizard, then multiclassed to fighter in order to begin the Eldritch Knight path, you would only get Medium armor proficiency due to the multiclassing rules.

Tonden Ockay
2015-03-05, 06:42 PM
Just to clarify, the above is true if your first level is in Fighter.

If you started in something else like wizard, then multiclassed to fighter in order to begin the Eldritch Knight path, you would only get Medium armor proficiency due to the multiclassing rules.

Really? That doesn't even make since. Ether fighters get it or they don't

calebrus
2015-03-05, 06:47 PM
Really? That doesn't even make since. Ether fighters get it or they don't

Fighters get it.
So if you start as a fighter, you get it.
If you start as a wizard, you start with the proficiencies that a wizard starts with.
If you then later multiclass into fighter, you get *some* of the fighter's proficiencies, but not all of them. Heavy armor is one of the ones that you don't get.

If you start as any given class, then you get all of class X's proficiencies. If you later multiclass into Y, you get some of Y's skill set, but not all of it, because you didn't spend as much time learning it as you did your first profession.
Look on page 164, at the chart, to see which proficiencies are added when multiclassing *into* a new class.

The only three ways to get heavy armor proficiency are to:
a) start as a fighter or paladin (multiclassing into either only grants medium + shield)
b) start as or multiclass into a cleric with a domain that grants heavy
c) take a feat

Daishain
2015-03-05, 07:00 PM
What he said. If they didn't set it up that way, by picking the right three classes anyone could pick up proficiency in all saves, all equipment, and a minimum of 11 out of 18 skills by level 3.

Tonden Ockay
2015-03-05, 07:49 PM
Ok so you only get you proficiency bonus with your first class two main stats?

This way you cant take 3 classes and have your proficiency with all saves?

calebrus
2015-03-05, 07:56 PM
Ok so you only get you proficiency bonus with your first class two main stats?

This way you cant take 3 classes and have your proficiency with all saves?

Correct.
You only ever get proficiency with the two saves that your starting class grants.
Look at the chart on page 164.
Zero saving throws are added.

You get the two you start with, and if you're lucky you get one or more from class features later on (like Wis for Rogues, or all from Monk). Or you can take a feat to get another one.
Multiclassing grants zero saving throw proficiencies, no mattter what class you MC into, unless that class grants one later (rogue/monk/etc).

edit:
I will add that our table house rules this a bit.
If you multiclass, then at level 3 of the new class you gain half proficiency (one half, rounded down) with the minor save (str/in/cha), and you gain half proficiency with the major save (dex/con/wis) at level 6 of the new class.
The third hypothetical class to reach those levels offer nothing.
So a fighter 6 / rogue 6 / cleric 6 would have prof with Str & Con, half prof with Dex & Int, and no prof with Wis & Cha.
But that's a house rule.