PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Radiant Servant of Amaunator?

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-05, 05:33 PM
Hello everyone! I am looking into building a cleric that is heavily influenced by the sun. Now, the thing is that this Cleric is in the Forgotten Realms and I really liked the "Radiant Servant of Pelor" class, but the class states "Special: Must have Pelor as patron deity. (Adapt as desired for sun god of the setting.)". Now, when I adapt it to Amaunator he doesn't have the healing domain! Which basically makes that class useless. How would you handle this as a DM? Would you house rule that the cleric could have the domain anyways? Perhaps you'd just outright ban the class. Is there a work around?

For anyone curious, this is what my Sun Cleric (https://www.dropbox.com/s/acfb0aln5d6v2pp/Sun%20Cleric.pdf?dl=0) will look like. Any race suggestions? I think we get a free 4 LA.

Flickerdart
2015-03-05, 05:41 PM
Healing domain is super-weak. I'd just let the cleric swap out one of his existing domains when entering the class.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-05, 05:47 PM
Healing domain is super-weak. I'd just let the cleric swap out one of his existing domains when entering the class.
Hmmm. I'll make sure to point that out to my DM then. I'm going to be playing in a short epic campaign designed around attaining a magic golden klondike bar from the frozen hands of Levistus. I was previously going to make a trumpet archon... but the DM vetoed it. *grumble grumble*

RedMage125
2015-03-05, 07:21 PM
There's a sidebar or something for Forgotten Realms (I forget if it's in the FRCS, The PLayer's Guide or Faiths and Pantheons) that is a transparency chart for deities for Core material.

In it it says anything Pelor specific can more or less be used with Lathander (who we now know was an aspect of Amaunator).

Now, the RSoP PrC does not REQUIRE the Healing Domain to enter, but there's another perspective on the Empower/Maximize/Supreme Healing abilities (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?351583-Radiant-Servant-of-Pelor-issues) that you might find enlightening.

I strongly advise you read the thread, it's only a few pages long.

Short version is: The way I read the RAW, anytime you cast a spell that is a spell that appears on the Healing Domain list, you get to add the Empower/Maximize/Supreme Healing effect of the Prestige Class, even if you do not have that Domain.

Keep in mind, this is only 7 spells in the game, because Heal and Mass Heal do not have "variable, numeric effects", and are thus not affected by Empower or Maximize Spell. And Mass Cure Moderate/Serious Wounds will not benefit, as they are not spells on that domain list. But most of your basic healing spells will be.

It's a great PrC, makes Healing actually viable (especially since the PrC abilities apply to spells you can spontaneously cast), and makes you a MONSTER against undead. All in all, well worth it.

PS
I suggest Sun and Glory domains, especially if you're going to be facing significant amounts of undead. The way Glory Domain's granted power works with the improved Greater Turning effect of RSoP is beastly.

Deadasadoor
2015-03-05, 10:46 PM
Hmmm. I'll make sure to point that out to my DM then. I'm going to be playing in a short epic campaign designed around attaining a magic golden klondike bar from the frozen hands of Levistus. I was previously going to make a trumpet archon... but the DM vetoed it. *grumble grumble*

Is this literal? If so, I like your DM.

Telonius
2015-03-06, 08:44 AM

"I would storm Baator for a Klondike bar."

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-06, 10:38 AM
I'm not lying. My alignment would prevent me from doing so. That aside, one of my friends who plays at my usual table with me decided he wanted to host a short run campaign with a silly ending. Mostly so we could all play ECL 30 characters and beat the tar out of the nine rings of hell. So, now I'm going to be our cleric. I've never played one before, so I think it'll be a good experience. I am a little fuzzy on how post 20 spellcaster levels work.

BowStreetRunner
2015-03-06, 10:43 AM
One McGuffin is as good as any other. No reason to spoil it all by being overly serious. What would you do for a McGuffin...ah, Klondike bar?

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-06, 10:49 AM
One McGuffin is as good as any other. No reason to spoil it all by being overly serious. What would you do for a McGuffin...ah, Klondike bar?
Apparently it grants +6 to all stats or +12 to any two. So I'd say a lot.

I strongly advise you read the thread, it's only a few pages long.
Thank you for that. It helped a lot.

Chronos
2015-03-06, 11:31 AM
I am a little fuzzy on how post 20 spellcaster levels work.
You don't get any more daily spell slots than you do at 20. For normal spellcasting, the only thing that continues to improve is your caster level (though you might decide to multiclass at that point and not even get that). But then, there's epic spellcasting, which is an entirely separate system, and which depends almost entirely on DM adjudication.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-06, 11:43 AM
You don't get any more daily spell slots than you do at 20.
That is good to know.

I've linked my level 30 build for my cleric in the main post for anyone curious. I was wondering if anyone had a race that would be good to take? Something thematic but also worth it. We get a free 4 LA because of buyoff.

Zeb
2015-03-06, 12:01 PM
For the LA, Aasimar and saint are very good. There is also a positive energy outsider lumin (in MM3 I think) that is strong.

Given your feat selection and other items I would change or up grade:
Ring of sustenance- you can make your own food
Bracers of armor- doesn't stack with regular armor
Robe of the archmagi- doesn't stack with regular armor and there are cheaper alternatives for low SR, +4 to saves and +2 cl
Tunic of steady casting- already have shielded casting feat

Consider moving some of your ranks in heal into spellcraft

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-06, 12:08 PM
For the LA, Aasimar and saint are very good. There is also a positive energy outsider lumin (in MM3 I think) that is strong.

Given your feat selection and other items I would change or up grade:
Ring of sustenance- you can make your own food
Bracers of armor- doesn't stack with regular armor
Robe of the archmagi- doesn't stack with regular armor and there are cheaper alternatives for low SR, +4 to saves and +2 cl
Tunic of steady casting- already have shielded casting feat

Consider moving some of your ranks in heal into spellcraft
This is all good to know. We'll have a spellcaster, so I don't really need spellcraft.

I'll work on my magic items. Any specific recommendations? I'll be going through hell (literally) so I was trying to spec for that specifically.

I don't recognize Iumin, but I definitely dig the Saint template.

Paladin Edit:
I guess the Saint template isn't available to us. We use HeroForge and that determines our book selection.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-06, 12:16 PM
Radiant Servant's buffs to healing domain spells can still be used if you don't have the healing domain: Take the spontaneous domain casting ACF in PH2 for any domain you have, that allows you to prepare Cure spells in your domain slots, any such spells cast from domain slots should benefit from the Radiant Servant buffs.

Considering only one such spell per spell level can benefit from that class feature, it's not really something to focus too much on. Ideally you would have the spontaneous domain casting ACF for the Healing domain, so any such spells you spontaneously cast will benefit from the free empower/maximize, but if you're not going this route then it ends up being one of the weaker features of the class.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-06, 12:32 PM
Radiant Servant's buffs to healing domain spells can still be used if you don't have the healing domain:
Thank you! I'll make sure to keep this noted.

Zeb
2015-03-06, 12:32 PM
Found them Lumi (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Lumi).

For fighting in hell you want Silver weapons not cold iron.

The spell Celestial Brilliance from BoED is just great for smashing your way through the nine hells. Especially with the doubled radius on light spells, cast it on 1 or 2 different items a day, with a duration of days/lvl your entire party can become bug evil outsider or undead zappers!

Speaking of which immunity to fire cold, fear and darkness are the top issues with adventuring in the hells, you should be able to get the those via spells/ class abilities.

Currently AFB but some items you might want are things that give extra turning attempts and spells (Pearl of power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower)) since you have features that burn through them.

Spellcraft might be required depending on if your group is using epic spellcasting

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-06, 12:59 PM
Found them Lumi (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Lumi).

For fighting in hell you want Silver weapons not cold iron.

The spell Celestial Brilliance from BoED is just great for smashing your way through the nine hells. Especially with the doubled radius on light spells, cast it on 1 or 2 different items a day, with a duration of days/lvl your entire party can become bug evil outsider or undead zappers!

Speaking of which immunity to fire cold, fear and darkness are the top issues with adventuring in the hells, you should be able to get the those via spells/ class abilities.
Oh! That is a cool race. My DM said he might even allow us to just buyoff 5 levels for fun. Any good recommendations of an LA 5 race? He seems slightly opposed to the templates and my access to them is fairly limited.

I was going to buy the ring of universal immunity, but it is 2mil? How much is WBL at level 30? The guy who is DMing and I have no idea how post 20 WBL looks...

atemu1234
2015-03-06, 01:24 PM
"I would storm Baator for a Klondike bar."

I was just thinking this :smalltongue:.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-06, 03:40 PM
Oh! That is a cool race. My DM said he might even allow us to just buyoff 5 levels for fun. Any good recommendations of an LA 5 race? He seems slightly opposed to the templates and my access to them is fairly limited.

I was going to buy the ring of universal immunity, but it is 2mil? How much is WBL at level 30? The guy who is DMing and I have no idea how post 20 WBL looks...

Page 209 of the DMG has the chart for level 21-40 WBL. For level 30, it's 4.9 mil.

For items, get Belt of Magnificence (+6) (200k) added onto your Belt of Battle to add +6 to all stats, get your Amulet of Second Chances added to a Reliquary Holy Symbol (1k), and swap out those Bracers of Armor in favor of Crimson Dragonhide Bracers (+5) (54k) for +5 Natural Armor and 5 fire resistance, combined with Greater Bracers of Archery (25k). Add Animated (+2 bonus) onto your shield too, and use your Mace 2 handed. I'd also add Soulfire (+4 bonus) to your armor, to get immunity to death effects. If you can swing another 208k, a Cowl of Warding gives you Freedom of Movement and Mindblank too. Swap out that Cloak of Charisma for a Minor Cloak of Displacement (24k) as well for permanent 20% miss chance.

edit: also, for what it's worth, Lord Takistos, in my sig, is an Ordained Champion DMM:P Cleric as well :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-06, 04:58 PM
For gear at this level, you need to have every one of the necessary item effects (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items), whether via all-day buffs such as Mind Blank or actual magic items. Bonuses like ability score enhancements, deflection bonuses to AC, enhancement bonuses to natural armor, etc. can be added to other items for the same price as a standalone item of that effect, per MIC p234. You can also combine multiple items into a single item per DMG p282, just increase the price of all but the most expensive effect by 50%. You can also make an item not occupy a body slot by doubling its price, per DMG p285.

There are a lot of extremely powerful tricks you can pull at level 30. For example, you can get Earth Spell in Races of Stone (and wear sandals made from stone slabs so it's always usable) along with Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell and Improved Heighten Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedHeightenSpell), with a pile of Nightsticks from LM for hundreds of daily turn undead uses. Use all of that with Holy Word (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm) to get a caster level of 100, which automatically kills any nongood creatures within the area whose total HD are less than 90. Asmodeus has only 35 HD, it only takes a caster level 45 Holy Word to kill him outright.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-06, 05:03 PM
For gear at this level, you need to have every one of the necessary item effects (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items), whether via all-day buffs such as Mind Blank or actual magic items. Bonuses like ability score enhancements, deflection bonuses to AC, enhancement bonuses to natural armor, etc. can be added to other items for the same price as a standalone item of that effect, per MIC p234. You can also combine multiple items into a single item per DMG p282, just increase the price of all but the most expensive effect by 50%. You can also make an item not occupy a body slot by doubling its price, per DMG p285.

Yeah, basically this = is what i said, only with links and page numbers and stuff lol. Good stuff Biff!