PDA

View Full Version : how good is mettle if you have amazing will and fort saves

sage20500
2015-03-05, 06:55 PM
Like the title says, my back up character im building happens to have amazing fort and will saves, im looking at taking a 1 level dip in pious templar to snag mettle, but im not sure if its worth it.

DeltaEmil
2015-03-05, 06:59 PM
It's always very nice to have mettle.

Amphetryon
2015-03-05, 06:59 PM
Like the title says, my back up character im building happens to have amazing fort and will saves, im looking at taking a 1 level dip in pious templar to snag mettle, but im not sure if its worth it.

The issue with Mettle is that a majority of Fort/Will saves don't have a 'half-damage' condition for Mettle to function against. In general, F/W are Save-or-Suck/Save-or-Lose, so snagging the ability provides you with a very small return on investment, if that's the only thing you're getting out of Pious Templar. If PT offers you other things (and I'm including flavor that meshes with your concept, here), it could well be worth it for you, but I'd be wary of dipping into PT *just* for the Mettle ability.

Flickerdart
2015-03-05, 07:00 PM
Mettle is only useful with high Fort and Will saves since it does nothing on a failed save. Although it kinda blows anyway since the "failed" effect of Fort and Will spells with a partial save is usually something dumb like "1d6 damage" anyway.

Mcdt2
2015-03-05, 07:05 PM
Quite good, as long as you frequently suffer Fort/Will effects anyway. See, unlike Evasion, Mettle applies to "Fort/Will partial" effects, whereas Evasion merely affects things that offer a save for half damage. Of course, if the enemy is gonna hit you with spells with no save, it will be just as useless as your base saves anyway.

Douglas
2015-03-05, 07:12 PM
By RAW, I think Mettle lets your save negate the damage from the Orb spells. So if your DM likes to use those, it's very good indeed.