PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating NPC Enemies

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-05, 09:32 PM
I'm curious how everyone goes about creating "human" enemies for their party to fight. NPCs, with class levels.

How do you generate stats? Standard/Elite arrays? Point buy? Well-rounded, or optimized?

How do you decide classes/races? Does anyone randomly generate them using the tables? Pick some aspects that match the setting, and generate the rest randomly? Or does everyone make their encounters the way they want them, ignoring the tables?

How do you pick spells/feats? Thematically, obviously, but do you have a general "load-out" for say, an evil Cleric/Druid/Sorc? Or do you pick them out every time?

How do you pick out loot? Do you use NPC WBL? Do you try to optimize their equipment? Roll on the tables? Buy scrolls/potions/wands?

Does an optimized selection of feats and spells mean I should account for the enemies having a higher CR? Races that are "better" at a specific class, like an Orc Barbarian? What about a better stat array? I know that full WBL moves it up.

Just curious. I was building some Sorcs today, and realized how much of a difference an optimized NPC made versus a bad one power-wise. I was curious if there was a "standard" so I could better estimate their CR beyond "Class Level-1."

Thurbane
2015-03-05, 10:07 PM
I'm curious how everyone goes about creating "human" enemies for their party to fight. NPCs, with class levels.

How do you generate stats? Standard/Elite arrays? Point buy? Well-rounded, or optimized?

I always use elite array. I tried to have them reasonably optimized (depending on the op level of the group), and also strive for well rounded.

How do you decide classes/races? Does anyone randomly generate them using the tables? Pick some aspects that match the setting, and generate the rest randomly? Or does everyone make their encounters the way they want them, ignoring the tables?

Race and class are usually dependent on the niche I need them to fill. Sometimes it will just be to showcase a race or class that we haven't seen in our games before. I generally ignore the tables.

How do you pick spells/feats? Thematically, obviously, but do you have a general "load-out" for say, an evil Cleric/Druid/Sorc? Or do you pick them out every time?

I pick them every time - I try to take selections that shore up weaknesses and actually help the NPC in a combat situation.

How do you pick out loot? Do you use NPC WBL? Do you try to optimize their equipment? Roll on the tables? Buy scrolls/potions/wands?

I always try to select gear intelligently, and very rarely based on random rolls. Most will have gear accoring to their CR, but some special NPCs get loot from the NPC wealth table in the DMG.

Does an optimized selection of feats and spells mean I should account for the enemies having a higher CR? Races that are "better" at a specific class, like an Orc Barbarian? What about a better stat array? I know that full WBL moves it up.

I generally try to go by "feel", and optomize the NPCs by around the same (or slightly less) level then the PCs. Our group is low-medium op.

Just curious. I was building some Sorcs today, and realized how much of a difference an optimized NPC made versus a bad one power-wise. I was curious if there was a "standard" so I could better estimate their CR beyond "Class Level-1."

CR for a "normal" race is equal to class levels, or class levels -1 for the NPC classes (Adept, Expert etc.). Racial HD and LA can modify this.

bjoern
2015-03-05, 10:08 PM
When I throw enemies with class levels at the party, its because I want to challenge them. Thus I usually make the enemy the same way that the PCs made their characters. Same dice rolling method etc., optimization level, WBL, and item selection.

Depending on how difficult I want it to be will determine the exact level and how many baddies they will face.

I've found that doing the "rival party" thing works pretty well for epic and tense battles. The PCs really have a sense of urgency when they realize that they are facing foes that have access to the same BS that they do. They treat each round as if it could be their last (which is true).

jjcrpntr
2015-03-05, 11:20 PM
If I'm making basic humanoid enemies or things with class levels I just use a stat array.

If I'm making a NPC that will be recurring or a powerful foe I use a better stat array and tweak the heck out of it. I don't go all heavy optimizing but if the character is supposed to be a barbarian king he's going to be strong with feats/rage powers that would make him a nightmare to beat in a fight.

I have a few basic enemies with class levels that I'll use if I'm throwing together a fight. I'll tweak it for CR but in general I don't change them a lot. Again if it's a special fight/circumstance they get special treatment.

For loot, it differs. I rarely have npc enemies with WBL on them. Again, if it's a special character that person will be geared out but probably not WBL like the players.