PDA

View Full Version : The Divine Whirlwind

ChubbyRain
2015-03-05, 10:39 PM
So I noticed that Divine Smite is not limited to 1/turn or whatever.

I also noticed that Ranger 11 gets Whirlwind...

Mobile allows you to not provoke OA when you move, which assuming the interpretation that you can move between attacks, mobile helps a lot.

So is there a reason out there that I can't smite each target of my whirlwind? I'm completely open to a legit rule that stops this even if this isn't super strong or whatever.

Seerow
2015-03-05, 10:42 PM
I believe in WoW they call it "Divine Storm"

ChubbyRain
2015-03-05, 10:43 PM
I believe in WoW they call it "Divine Storm"

Never played WoW, but that reminds me of " The Oncoming Storm" from Doctor Who.

asorel
2015-03-05, 10:52 PM
It should work. Whirlwind Attack is only one attack, but Divine Smite's trigger is hitting an enemy with an attack, not the attack itself. It will eat up your spell slots like nobody's business, but will provide some decent nova damage.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-05, 11:02 PM
It should work. Whirlwind Attack is only one attack, but Divine Smite's trigger is hitting an enemy with an attack, not the attack itself. It will eat up your spell slots like nobody's business, but will provide some decent nova damage.

209 + Bonus action polearm attack for 1d4+5 damage to someone within 10'

You may be able to add in 2d6 damage if you can keep up thunderous smite.

gameogre
2015-03-05, 11:09 PM
Seriously, no issues with it.

This edition doesn't seem to be about how to stop run away power. It's all about how to make sure everyone has it.

That's pretty cool!

xyianth
2015-03-05, 11:30 PM
The only issues I can see are the incredibly MAD character it requires and the sheer number of slots used in one turn. The MADness comes from requiring 13 str, dex, wis, and cha in order to multiclass ranger + paladin. It's also a trick that only starts being available at level 13 at the earliest. (11 ranger for whirlwind, 2 paladin for divine smite)

Otherwise, go for it.

Strill
2015-03-06, 12:00 AM
You're basically using an enormous number of spell slots to accomplish what a fireball could have.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-06, 12:32 AM
You're basically using an enormous number of spell slots to accomplish what a fireball could have.

Technically you can move and whirlwind, random note.

It isn't about results, just seeing what the biggest NOVA that could come from. Also this doesn't have the save half clause and by level 20... Hitting isn't a problem. 19 AC is easily hittable when you have +11 to attack.

Half-Orc: so if we crit that is an extra 2d8/crit damage or 2d10/crit if using polearm. Usig the polearm gives a bit more damage. Using a polearm you could also use GWM fighting style and GWM feat... I haven't calculated those numbers... This could potentially boost the damage by (with the feat) +80... + whatever the fighting style ends up being...

Final
Str: 20
Dex:14
Con: 12
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Cha: 16

You start with 13 Wis and Cha and 14 Str and Dex. 11 Con. You get +2 Str/+1 Con from race. Boost Str and cha. Then you put +1/+1 into wis and cha to balance things out... Or you could pick up a feat (gwm).

Set Up: Caster uses a spell that gives you advantage on all attack rolls or blinds the targets. Maybe a hold person or monster spell? You are using a polearm. You have advantage on all attacks.

You go all whirlwind of death

Use the feat (-5 art/+10 dmg): 8d10 (rerolls 1 & 2) +120(gwm+mods) + 27d8 (smite) +1d4 + 5 (polearm master, drop cha and wis by 1 point though)

44+120+121.5+ 7.5 = 293 (average)

If you have thunderous smite... That's 2d6 damage from a concentration 1st level spell...

293+7 = 300 average damage (no clue how to do the math with reroll 1's and 2's)

Mandragola
2015-03-06, 06:47 PM
It's still a rubbish fireball from a level 13 character, sorry to say. It's cool, but it's not actually good. By the time you can do this your wizard will be able to do something pretty spectacular - and be annoyed that you're standing in the way.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-06, 06:56 PM
It's still a rubbish fireball from a level 13 character, sorry to say. It's cool, but it's not actually good. By the time you can do this your wizard will be able to do something pretty spectacular - and be annoyed that you're standing in the way.

Well if your gauge for your character is how spectacular the wizard is then all non-full casting classes are horrible. I don't think you are getting the point.

Also, a fireball in a 9th level spell slot deals 14d6 (avg 49) save half fire damage. In one action fireball doesn't measure up.

Meteor Swarm is the spell that you would want to compare to, though at higher level. But then again no one takes meteor swarm when true polymorph is around.

MadBear
2015-03-06, 07:00 PM
293+7 = 300 average damage (no clue how to do the math with reroll 1's and 2's)

It's actually not that bad. if you think about the average damage of a dice, it's just the results of each individual roll divided by the possibilities (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6= 3.5

Now with re-rolling the 1's and 2's you just replace the 1 and the 2 with the average (3.5 in this case)

(3.5+3.5+3+4+5+6)/6=4.17

Hopefully that helps.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-06, 07:11 PM
It's actually not that bad. if you think about the average damage of a dice, it's just the results of each individual roll divided by the possibilities (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6= 3.5

Now with re-rolling the 1's and 2's you just replace the 1 and the 2 with the average (3.5 in this case)

(3.5+3.5+3+4+5+6)/6=4.17

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks. Makes sense too, I felt it would be about a point or a little less per die roll but never actually looked into the math.

TheDeadlyShoe
2015-03-06, 11:18 PM
Meteor Swarm is the spell that you would want to compare to, though at higher level. But then again no one takes meteor swarm when true polymorph is around.

Nothing stopping wizzards from memorizing both.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-07, 12:10 AM
Nothing stopping wizzards from memorizing both.

Except that meteor swarm is a bad choice for 9th level spells.

True Polymorph exist.

Which makes me wonder, if you get to keep your class abilities and stuff... Elder Great Wyrm Divine Whirlwind...

Anyways, the point was that fireball is pitiful in damage and as an action doesn't do nearly as much damage. Meteor Swarm, as an action, is better.

Vogonjeltz
2015-03-09, 04:30 PM
Technically you can move and whirlwind, random note.

If the action is multiple attacks you can move between them, per the combat rules (such as between attacks granted by the Extra Attack class feature).

However, Whirlwind Attack is actually just '1' attack with multiple targets (who are within range of a static position). (PHB page 93).

Yagyujubei
2015-03-09, 05:54 PM
If the action is multiple attacks you can move between them, per the combat rules (such as between attacks granted by the Extra Attack class feature).

However, Whirlwind Attack is actually just '1' attack with multiple targets (who are within range of a static position). (PHB page 93).

yeah I dont think you can move and do whirlwind. if that were the case having mobility and cunning action would allow you to dash as your bonus(or haste, or both) and hit literally every single enemy each turn in 90% of encounters.

TheOOB
2015-03-10, 02:38 AM
As long as you have the spell slots you can smite every time you hit with an attack, however you got said attack.

Considering I don't think ranger/paladin is that effective of a class combo, I don't think you're breaking anything. Divine smite isn't a hugely efficient use of a spell slot in any case, but it's still a cool trick to pull.