PDA

View Full Version : Casting a 9th level sorc/wiz spell that is also a 6th level bard spell

Crake
2015-03-05, 11:43 PM
Ok, so there is a 9th level sorc/wiz spell i have in mind, but it is also a 6th level bard spell. Short of getting 9 levels of chameleon and casting it in arcane focus, what other ways can someone utilize the 6th level bard spell level here? Limited wish and greater anyspell are both limited to 5th level spells, so those don't work.

dextercorvia
2015-03-06, 12:26 AM
3rd level Sublime Chord.

Archivist 11, learned from a Divine Bard.

Chronos
2015-03-06, 09:23 AM
Depending on your DM's interpretation, possibly Extra Spell.

And Miracle, but that's rather swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, here.

Out of curiosity, what's the spell? I didn't know there were any with that large a discrepancy between Wiz and Bard.

Crake
2015-03-06, 09:35 AM
Depending on your DM's interpretation, possibly Extra Spell.

And Miracle, but that's rather swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, here.

Out of curiosity, what's the spell? I didn't know there were any with that large a discrepancy between Wiz and Bard.

I'd rather keep it a secret, incase any of my players happen across my posts and maybe get a hit at what i'm planning. I'm sure with enough digging you can find it, if not others with similar discrepancies. To be fair though, 9th level wiz and 6th level bard are both max level spells for their respective classes.

Rebel7284
2015-03-06, 09:50 AM
There are also scrolls/staves/other magic items.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-06, 10:27 AM
Sublime Chord is your best option here. Gets all the bard and wizard spells at the lowest level (so a spell that's bard 6/wiz 9 is a 6 level spell for SC. A SC gets that spell you are thinking of at 6th level as a level 13 character.

That's how bard sublime chord I played in my previous game was rocking irresistible dance at 13th level. But that's bard 6/wiz8. Not the spell you are thinking of.

If it's the wiz9/bard6 spell I'm thinking of, my bard used that spell often, too. Very useful. But Expensive material component, so I traded it out after using it a few times.

Kraken
2015-03-06, 11:12 AM
Is it a divination spell? Unseen seer's advanced learning can help you pick it up if so. Any other class with advanced learning, or similar, such as wyrm wizard (Dragon Magic) should also do the trick.

Coidzor
2015-03-06, 11:47 AM
Divine Bard > Archivist?

Artificer made scrolls/schema?

Crake
2015-03-07, 05:14 AM
Sublime Chord is your best option here. Gets all the bard and wizard spells at the lowest level (so a spell that's bard 6/wiz 9 is a 6 level spell for SC. A SC gets that spell you are thinking of at 6th level as a level 13 character.

That's how bard sublime chord I played in my previous game was rocking irresistible dance at 13th level. But that's bard 6/wiz8. Not the spell you are thinking of.

If it's the wiz9/bard6 spell I'm thinking of, my bard used that spell often, too. Very useful. But Expensive material component, so I traded it out after using it a few times.

Oh damn, you're right, it does have an expensive material component.. hmm. To give some context, the idea was an NPC was going to hire someone to use the spell to help them achieve their goals, but if they need to find a 13th level sublime chord to achieve it... then they probably wont ever manage to find someone like that in my world, except by sheer luck. I'll have to think of some other way to achieve it...

qwertyu63
2015-03-07, 08:58 AM
Oh damn, you're right, it does have an expensive material component.. hmm. To give some context, the idea was an NPC was going to hire someone to use the spell to help them achieve their goals, but if they need to find a 13th level sublime chord to achieve it... then they probably wont ever manage to find someone like that in my world, except by sheer luck. I'll have to think of some other way to achieve it...

It's your NPC and your world; sheer luck is the best tool in your arsenal.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-07, 09:08 AM
The unseen seer advanced learning trick would also work. A 12 level rogue1/wizard4/unseen seer7 could learn that spell. Would that be more common in your world?

But it might be possible to get a bard scroll with that spell, and umd (or hire a bard) to cast it?

Edit:

It's your NPC and your world; sheer luck is the best tool in your arsenal.

I was thinking the same. I admire your wanting to stick to realistic chances. But this is your world. So if you think it would make the game more fun or challenging for your players, then you can bend the laws of luck a little in favor of a good game.

Perhaps give a percentage chance of the right person being locatable and willing to help. The spell is time sensitive, so the lower percentage roll, the longer it will take to find the caster.

Rebel7284
2015-03-07, 09:10 AM
You can end up with 3rd level sublime chord casting at ECL 10 with the following background.

Bard 7 gets bitten by a wereboar. Gets 3 more animal HD and enters Sublime Chord. After 3 levels in Sublime Chord, they find someone to cast remove curse on them, but by then, Sublime Chord self-qualifies.

Tada! Bard 7/Sublime Chord 3 =)

Gemini476
2015-03-07, 10:58 AM
A 12th level Wizard 10/Wyrm Wizard 2 could also learn a 6th-level Bard spell, I suppose. Level-wise that's not all that much better than a 13th-level Sublime Chord, though.

Really, though, the earliest I could hypothetically see someone casting this without extreme cheese would be... ECL 11, maybe? That's when 6th-level spells tend to go online, so if you find something that can snipe spells without losing caster levels like an Archivist or Spell-to-Power Erudite then that'd be the level to look at. Although the Erudite wouldn't get it until ECL 13, I guess.

Chronos
2015-03-07, 11:43 AM
Maybe this NPC just lucked into a scroll of this spell (from whatever source), and either cast it from the scroll himself if possible, or got an appropriate spellcaster to cast it from the scroll for him. This still requires a powerful spellcaster somewhere, but the NPC need never have met him or her.

Gemini476
2015-03-07, 12:37 PM
Maybe this NPC just lucked into a scroll of this spell (from whatever source), and either cast it from the scroll himself if possible, or got an appropriate spellcaster to cast it from the scroll for him. This still requires a powerful spellcaster somewhere, but the NPC need never have met him or her.

Given that scrolls have a rather long shelf-life, it could be the scroll of someone that is now long-dead.

Imagine a scroll recovered from a three thousand year old pyramid, for instance, crafted by the god-king Pharaoh himself before his untimely death and entombment. Powerful magical items left over from ancient civilizations is hardly a new idea. It allows you to have relatively powerful magics to have once existed in the setting to make all those magic items and whatnot, and yet still keep the current magical climate somewhat low-leveled.

Crake
2015-03-07, 01:24 PM
in case any of my players happen across this thread, I'll spoiler this post and say to them: do not read!

I've actually decided to have the NPC be a bard himself, and using his bardic lore check, know about crossroad devils (harvester devils that hang out at crossroads), and make a faustian pact for the scroll in question, the ability to guarentee his caster level check to cast it, and some aid in his quest. Makes for more drama that way, gives the NPC some backing, and solves the problem neatly. I plan to have this NPC be an antagonist to one of the players, namely the player who murdered his wife in cold blood for fun. They're level 1 at the moment, so I can't justify the NPC being high enough level to a) be able to afford this stuff, and b) be able to find, let alone hire a 13th level NPC of any sort. And before anyone mentions, there's a good reason why the character was murdering people in cold blood, and it wasn't done in a chaotic stupid manner, which is why this spell is needed for the NPC to find out who he's looking for.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-07, 02:06 PM
Assuming he has 6th level spell slots and casts from a non-Bard spell list, or even spontaneous 5th level slots, it's extremely doable:

1. Max out UMD.
2. Get a custom Runestaff (MIC p224) with the 6th level Bard version of that spell on it.
3. Each morning you attune yourself to the Runestaff, and make a single UMD check at that time to be able to cast every spell it contains as though they were both on your class spell list as well as on your list of spells known. You can now spend a 6th level spell slot from any spellcasting class to cast the spell in question.
3a. If using 5th level spontaneous slots, use Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon to cast it.
5. ???
6. Profit.