PDA

View Full Version : Gear help

redfeline
2015-03-06, 12:43 AM
Okay so I am about to enter a sort of joke game.

We were playing vampire the masq and one of the characters suggests we play dnd 3.5 So we are playing 3.5 as our vamp characters... The Dm character has a huge ego and is not all that bright.

I will be running a 5th level character that is half dragon Goliath warblade. (My character doesn't know how to play but the crazy character does and told her this would be a good idea.)

So that takes us to gear. I have 9k gold, a str of 30, and 1d12 + con total hp. I am looking for fun pieces of gear I can afford and items to keep me semi effective. What would you guys suggest?

(My wife being the dm has informed me this will go on for months.)

jjcrpntr
2015-03-06, 12:53 AM
Wait.. so you're roleplaying a game of vampire masq where the vampires decide to play dnd? If so that sounds both hilarious and weird as hell.

weckar
2015-03-06, 06:04 AM
Wait... so are you making this post, or is your character?

Too many layers :X

atemu1234
2015-03-06, 07:05 AM
Wait... so are you making this post, or is your character?

Too many layers :X

Postception?

Rebel7284
2015-03-06, 09:52 AM
http://xkcd.com/244/

ZamielVanWeber
2015-03-06, 11:35 AM
Your biggest problem will be your abysmal hp. Anything you fail to one shot will insta-kill you at that CR. Lord help you if the encounter is overwhelming. I would recommend an Amulet of Health (did I just botch that name?) in an attempt to fluff your HP. Also a +1 weapon for that annoying magical DR.

redfeline
2015-03-06, 11:50 AM
I am looking at AC 25. Perma death shouldn't be a worry.

So I want the gear that a crazy min maxer would suggest.

I am looking the Jovar from the planar handbook as a weapon it is a 2d6 two handed weapon with 18-20 crit range.

Platymus Pus
2015-03-06, 12:53 PM
So I want the gear that a crazy min maxer would suggest.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361170-3-5-P-Flat-Cost-Weapon-Armor-Enhancements-and-quot-Sheathed-quot-Enhancements

Okay so I am about to enter a sort of joke game.

We were playing vampire the masq and one of the characters suggests we play dnd 3.5 So we are playing 3.5 as our vamp characters... The Dm character has a huge ego and is not all that bright.

I will be running a 5th level character that is half dragon Goliath warblade. (My character doesn't know how to play but the crazy character does and told her this would be a good idea.)

So that takes us to gear. I have 9k gold, a str of 30, and 1d12 + con total hp. I am looking for fun pieces of gear I can afford and items to keep me semi effective. What would you guys suggest?

(My wife being the dm has informed me this will go on for months.)

http://kmalloy.cloudapp.net/dndtools.eu/classes/fist-of-the-forest/index.html
Con based monk?

redfeline
2015-03-06, 01:46 PM
Thank you.

I'll take all suggestions offered.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-03-06, 02:38 PM
I am looking at AC 25. Perma death shouldn't be a worry.

Most CR 5 dudes have more than 5 HD and plenty have full BaB. A basic brusier could easily rock +10 or more to hit and then more technically oriented ones often give little concern to standard AC. With 12 + Con HP, even with a Con of say 24, giving a total of 21) you could be 1-2 shot. If your Con is 18 an ogre can bring you to 0 with an average hit and gets an AoO when you move to attack him.

At least invest in a Shadow Cloak. Its 5500 and gives you a plethora of goodies including an immediate action teleport and one round of concealment.

redfeline
2015-03-06, 03:24 PM
I suppose I am looking for interesting items. Let you pull out a lit campfire from this bag or I have an endless supply of caltrops.

I need to fight pirates, ninja's, people from Atlantis and space pirates in that order before I level.

The campaign is a kick ass and take names kind of style. So I am more likely to face large groups of cr 3 enemies than I am to fight a cr 5 enemy.

Again only 9k gold so 5.5k may be a bit pricey although I will look at it.

redfeline
2015-03-06, 09:34 PM
I just realized that perma death comment is with out context. Character death will be very temporary in this setting, basicly you sit out the rest of the fight with no other negative effects.

Oddman80
2015-03-07, 01:05 AM
hmmm... i know that Arms & Equipment guide has a spray bottle... i wonder if there is a reverse mechanism - something that could suck in mist (or gaseous forms) into a sealed container... that would be clutch!
combine with valorous weapon.... one shot everything you face, then suck them up into a jar keeping them from rematerializing.

Madhava
2015-03-07, 06:45 AM
Gear, gear, gear... let's see.

You've three good options. First, decide if you want: some type of fencing sword, or a compound bow, or a Barrett M107. Next, max out your fencing, or archery, or combat marksmanship merit. Consider investing in one dot of obfuscate, so that none of the food notices you're toting that high-powered rifle around midtown.

Oh wait. You said Masquerade? The old game?

Okay, so no gear, then. The name of the game is wolf claws + celerity + potence. Just remember to split your dice pools and never loose initiative.

Wait. What was the question...?

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-07, 07:28 AM
Just out of curiosity, what clans are taking part?
I would assume a Malk as you said the crazy one so I will also assume its a Cam game and not Sabbat :P

Also while it may be too late for it, have you thought about dropping the half dragon part for half minotaur?
golliath+minotaur is a scary combo with massive str and con bonuses and only a +2LA
You loose your natural attacks of a dragon, but you still get some nat AC. You get large size and the ability to use huge weapons. I think before adding any bonus points to your stats you start with an 18 in str.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-07, 07:37 AM
Gear, gear, gear... let's see.

You've three good options. First, decide if you want: some type of fencing sword, or a compound bow, or a Barrett M107. Next, max out your fencing, or archery, or combat marksmanship merit. Consider investing in one dot of obfuscate, so that none of the food notices you're toting that high-powered rifle around midtown.

Oh wait. You said Masquerade? The old game?

Okay, so no gear, then. The name of the game is wolf claws + celerity + potence. Just remember to split your dice pools and never loose initiative.

Wait. What was the question...?

>Implies favoritism to assamite vissers
>starts well written post that still flames other clans
>Puts up live offer to clan Tremere to learn Thaumaturgy

redfeline
2015-03-07, 05:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, what clans are taking part?
I would assume a Malk as you said the crazy one so I will also assume its a Cam game and not Sabbat :P

Also while it may be too late for it, have you thought about dropping the half dragon part for half minotaur?
golliath+minotaur is a scary combo with massive str and con bonuses and only a +2LA
You loose your natural attacks of a dragon, but you still get some nat AC. You get large size and the ability to use huge weapons. I think before adding any bonus points to your stats you start with an 18 in str.

I'll look at that.

Any how clans we have a pander detective as the original characters were sabbat. We have salubri that was made crazy by a malkavian. We have a ravnos that is DMing. A grendal computer nerd, and I am an assamite sorcerer. The story teller is running a nospheratu NPC. Actually in a bit of fun, she is running a boy running a girl. So she is back in gender.

redfeline
2015-03-08, 01:08 AM
Took advice on the half minotaur.

New character is half minotaur, half fey, Goliath with 3k spent to increase size by 1. Something about a gargantuan weapon is wonderful. Tempted to pick up throwing stars for the amazing 1d8 damage from an object the size of a person.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-08, 03:49 AM
Just to make sure, did you add in the bonuses from changing sizes?
Goliath = +4str, -2dex, +2con and is med size
Half Min Template = +4str, +2con, -2int, +2wis, +2nat AC, and if you are med in size you become large - accepting all the bonuses and penalty that come with it
Large Size = +8str, -2dex, +4con, +2nat AC, and your reach is now 10ft (be sure to calculate -1 ac and hit chance for size too tho)

Added up thats
+16str
-4dex
+8con
-2int
+2wis
+4nat AC
40 land speed
10ft reach
darkvision,
scent,
track,
counted as one size larger for bull rush, trip, ect
can use weapons one size larger then normal (thats at -2 if I remember right)
A gore attack that does 1d8
and is counted as running for all your jump checks - something that is quite scary with pounce!

All that for only +2LA

Its one of the very few LA's I use, and one that is quite often banned for obvious reasons. But both role play wise, and class wise, its hella fun to play.

RP speaking, odds are you would be an outcast or reject and have quite a bit of mental trauma or scars. Humans would prolly be *****, and your own Goliath brethren may have disowned you.

Game play speaking, your STR mod is so high that you can talk to the DM about doing things that should never be doable, like challenging a caster level check on a wall of force to break it down with shear strength, Or throwing your allies to the top of towers - completely negating laid out dungeons :P

shaikujin
2015-03-08, 04:21 AM
If it's not been mentioned yet, have your Masquerade characters considered playing a D&D Vampire/Vampire Lord or Were-Wolf?

Then have the Masquerade characters grumble that the D&D guys got it wrong :)

Gear-wise, if a melee character, I'd say devote half your gold to weapon & armor.

Other interesting pieces of gear that you may want based on the description given, would be a a handy harversack, a survival pouch and a few pounds of shapesand.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-08, 04:32 AM
If it's not been mentioned yet, have your Masquerade characters considered playing a D&D Vampire/Vampire Lord or Were-Wolf?

Then have the Masquerade characters grumble that the D&D guys got it wrong :)

Gear-wise, if a melee character, I'd say devote half your gold to weapon & armor.

Other interesting pieces of gear that you may want based on the description given, would be a a handy harversack, a survival pouch and a few pounds of shapesand.

Ya know, the first thing that popped into my head after reading your post was an idea of making a mythic type of progression vampire class that levels up with your main class - much like Pathfinder has (no experience using this rule, only heard of it by ear, so I may be wrong)
but gaining spells, and spell like ability's related to a clan, you could so very easily convert VTM clans into d&d - and kill the ones your VTM toons dislike too :)

redfeline
2015-03-09, 12:43 PM
Wait so by going half minotaur if my size increases which it did I get bonus stats for size in addition to the half minotaur bonuses?

Does the same work with the enlarge person spell?

ComaVision
2015-03-09, 01:05 PM
Wait so by going half minotaur if my size increases which it did I get bonus stats for size in addition to the half minotaur bonuses?

Does the same work with the enlarge person spell?

Goliaths aren't an eligible target for Enlarge Person, so that's moot.

EDIT: But no, you don't get the size increase from Enlarge Person. The Half-Minotaur template explicitly states that you also get the size increase changes.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-09, 06:46 PM
Goliaths are monstrous humanoids and not humanoid and thus, are not able to be targeted by the spell enlarge person.

However just for the sake of what you are asking, if you where to apply enlarge person you would NOT get the same bonus you get from changing your size category. The reason you got that is because the template stated to do so. Most of the time that size change is for DMs only for adjusting monsters.

The bonus you get from enlarge person is set in stone. Its more of a magically induced size buff then a size category change, otherwise it would be in the top of the lists of broken op low level spells.

If you want to grow even larger at limited times per day, look to pick up the psychic spell Expansion
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm

Platymus Pus
2015-03-09, 08:04 PM
You can always abuse polymorph later.

redfeline
2015-03-09, 08:13 PM
Well that is a nice oversight on my part. Is there an enlarge monster spell that can be made permanent?

I suppose this means I have 3k extra to play with.