PDA

View Full Version : Help: Roleplaying a Fanatic

noparlpf
2015-03-06, 01:09 AM
Whether it's as the DM portraying a villain, leader of a cult, or zealous convert, or as a PC playing a devout cleric or paladin, there are times when it's necessary to roleplaying a fanatical character. The problem: I'm a really laid-back, apathetic kind of guy and tend to sound pretty flat when speaking. Even when it's something I'm actually passionate about I don't really raise my voice or wax poetic. I'm definitely more concise than eloquent. How does one go about acting out a passionate, charismatic character? Forget coming up with lines on the spot, how does one even get into a mindset to draft out a speech ahead of time? Just watching examples of preachers proselytising all I can think is "man, that looks exhausting." Does anybody have some tips?

Lord Raziere
2015-03-06, 01:36 AM
Whether it's as the DM portraying a villain, leader of a cult, or zealous convert, or as a PC playing a devout cleric or paladin, there are times when it's necessary to roleplaying a fanatical character. The problem: I'm a really laid-back, apathetic kind of guy and tend to sound pretty flat when speaking. Even when it's something I'm actually passionate about I don't really raise my voice or wax poetic. I'm definitely more concise than eloquent. How does one go about acting out a passionate, charismatic character? Forget coming up with lines on the spot, how does one even get into a mindset to draft out a speech ahead of time? Just watching examples of preachers proselytising all I can think is "man, that looks exhausting." Does anybody have some tips?

Ask yourself: Who is the enemy? The enemy must be killed. There is no compromise. None.

perhaps you can play something like quieter, more smoldering zealotry? like imagine someone who is outwardly stoic and terse, but every word he speaks is pure "No compromise. ever." and that he has this steely look in his eyes that says he will inexorably move towards his goal, no matter the cost. The other side is Wrong. The zealot is always right in their mind. They have no doubts. They have no fear of tiredness. they are Right. Of course they will succeed, they're Right. they believe so without any other consideration, they move without any thought of swerving from the course. any swerving from the course is weakness at best, betrayal of the cause at worst. anything less than their unreasonable goals being realized down to the last dust of opposition being wiped out forever is unacceptable. therefore they canot rest until their goal is realized, until every. single. last. thing. is. DONE. Until. All. Who. Oppose. The Cause. Is. DEAD. Nothing less! If they must rule with an iron fist, so be it, if they must kill even those they love, so be it, any form of corruption or impurity must be gone in order for the cause to succeed. The cause must be pure. The cause must be pure, perfect, free of any possible thing that could possibly destroy it! All that do not stand with you is against you! Your clearly Good, and everyone is who does not acknowledge it is Evil and should die. Thats the mindset.

Gritmonger
2015-03-06, 02:03 AM
A fanatic doesn't have to be frenetic, just really devoted to their cause or principles, to the point of some actions that other, more reasonable characters might find irrational.

You probably know some fanatics, but unless they are dealing specifically with issues related to their fanaticism they won't seem driven or focused or fanatical.

Think about an idea that you feel you must defend, since it is central to who you are. Scotty and the Enterprise, for instance, in the Trouble with Tribbles. The klingons insulted the captain and crew of the enterprise, but when it came to the ship itself...

You, as the fanatic, are there to defend the honor and reputation of an ideal in the absence of others. You are, in the absence of a higher authority, the self-designated protector and avenger of your ideals.

At some level, you might consider it being a security guard or policeman. You can be laid back, right up until somebody constitutes a threat, whether through ideas of their own or actions.

It's not a question of right or wrong, always - since you might be a more forceful type of fanatic, insisting that others follow your fanaticism, or the more laid back kind that assumes others are ignorant, and are more than willing to share your adherence to your idea or cause.

Try and see it more as a skin to wear (get in the mindset) and less a caricature, and it'd probably come easier.

goto124
2015-03-06, 03:28 AM
I guess your main concern is doing it without sapping the fun of everyone else at the table?

veti
2015-03-06, 03:43 AM
I was like you, once.

I thought the world was a complex place, with many ways to do good. I thought I could face the troubles before me day by day, and by conquering each one, things would become a little bit better. I thought I could fight the demons of fear and hate and greed on my own terms, set the world to rights one wrong at a time; and that I would grow into a mighty warrior for good.

But no matter how much good I did, the evil was always greater, there were always new ills waiting, more and more, pressing in all around until I didn't know which one to smite first. And I realised that no matter how strong I grew, there was an enemy I could never truly overcome: me. My own fears and doubts would be my undoing, and when I failed, as I must in the end, the world would slide back into the decay and darkness I had fought so hard against. I fought long against this despair, but never could I fully banish it, nor see any other way my labours could end.

But then I found The Way. Like stumbling through a limitless forest and, quite by chance, coming across a wide and well travelled road, or floundering blindly in quicksand and suddenly feeling a stout, taut rope in one's hand - I knew what I had to do. Everything became so clear, so simple. I could not fight every evil, but that no longer mattered because this Evil is the root of them all. This is the only fight that matters. I may not live to see it through, but while I do, I shall strain every sinew in my body to wage it, and see that it continues after me.

And that is why I shall bring you to see the light, though you fight me with every ounce of your will. I shall drag you bodily to redemption, across the corpses of your convictions and the splinters of your so-called morality, because I know what you don't. And when you do finally understand, you'll thank me for doing it.

Mastikator
2015-03-06, 04:26 AM
Try emulating those preachers you've seen in front of the mirror. It might be exhausting. It's also exhausting to run 10 meters if you've never run in your life.

Don't worry if it looks ridiculous when you do it, just keep training, soon enough you'll get to the point where you think "ok this looks halfarsed". Halfarsed is convincing enough for a roleplaying group ;)

Donnadogsoth
2015-03-06, 10:57 AM

What do you care about? Find that out and pretend it's under attack. Then port the reaction to the game.

Geddy2112
2015-03-06, 02:55 PM
+1 to all said above.

A fanatic is not always loud, and some of the most fanatical/obcessed people don't tell anybody about it. It is inside them, lurking in secret, unspoken but represented in action. You could be the heavy handed, run in guns blazing "DIE HERETIC" type, but try the kind that walks into a room without saying a word, and with a an outward indifference paints the walls red with the blood of their enemies. When somebody else asks why, or wants to talk about it, say nothing. Once the problem is solved, go back to being a normal person. Fanatics who talk alot but do little are nothing compared to the fanatics who say little and do much. Plus, you can really surprise your group(in a good way) when the once calm and generally likeable inquisitor is suddenly called into duty and becomes an unholy terror.

Arbane
2015-03-06, 03:05 PM
As has been said, you don't have to rant like a Televangelist on meth, just keep in mind that your character's Cause is THE Most Important Thing In The World to them and act accordingly.

(If you WANT to rant like a televangelist on meth while slaughtering enemies, I recommend watching any scene in Hellsing with Father Alexander Anderson. :smallbiggrin: )

Flickerdart
2015-03-06, 03:34 PM
You don't need to sound passionate to be a fanatic. It helps if you just constantly make references to the thing you're fanatical about - the more tenuous the connection, the better!

For instances, let's say that you are a cultist of the dark god Skullothor. Offer Skullothor a prayer whenever you do anything - "Dread and mighty (the more adjectives, the better!) lord Skullothor, guide my sword to smite these unbelievers!" "Great and terrible Skullothor! Your humble servant requests your blessing" applies to just about any situation, down to "infuse this sandwich with thine dread energies so that I may partake of your essence!"

Sprinkle around random taboos and tenets - it works best when you just barely have a justification for them. Sleeping? It is the commandment of Skullothor that all of his followers sleep only on their backs, so that they most resemble the dead in their coffins. Fighting? Skullothor demands that you reap the heads of your enemies and burn them in a sacrificial pyre. Skullothor thirsts for the crimson of flesh and blood, so his followers prefer red apples over green ones.

Receive frequent missives from your patron, even if they come in the guise of portents and signs. A crow flew over the priest's shadow? That man is marked for death, praise Skullothor! Lightning strikes thrice in one minute? Skullothor is enraged at the party barbarian's stupid plan, you must object to it vehemently. With the right interpretation, anything can be a sign from your dread master.