PDA

View Full Version : Working on my paladin and was looking for some help

Kurondo
2015-03-06, 03:40 AM
I was wondering if taking an alternate class messes with anything besides mildly different hit die/whatever bonuses said alternate class has and also I was wondering if I get to choose my mount, I'm also curious as to how I can get 14 as a HD for a hellbred (Body)? sorry for asking so many questions in one post.

Andezzar
2015-03-06, 04:28 AM
I'll try to answer, your questions weren't really clear.

Are you talking about variant Paladin classes like those presented here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny) or are you talking about general multiclassing? The former is impossible to combine with the standard paladin and for the latter, unfortunately the paladin has this rule:
Like a member of any other class, a paladin may be a multiclass character, but multiclass paladins face a special restriction. A paladin who gains a level in any class other than paladin may never again raise her paladin level, though she retains all her paladin abilities.There are some classes (mostly prestige classes) that let you get around that rule but generally you cannot take another level of paladin.

The paladin can choose his special mount with the DM's consent. There are guidelines if and when a paladin can get mount more powerful than a Heavy Warhorse/Warpony and how such a mount is advanced in the DMG on p. 204 f.

About the Hellbred, you do not need to get 14 as a HD you need 14 hit dice of any type to get another devil touched feat (the first one you get once you have four hit dice). The usual way for player characters to accumulate HD is to take class levels. So 14 levels in any combination of classes will give you 14 HD.

Kurondo
2015-03-06, 04:46 AM
I'll try to answer, your questions weren't really clear.

Are you talking about variant Paladin classes like those presented here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny) or are you talking about general multiclassing? The former is impossible to combine with the standard paladin and for the latter, unfortunately the paladin has this rule:There are some classes (mostly prestige classes) that let you get around that rule but generally you cannot take another level of paladin.

The paladin can choose his special mount with the DM's consent. There are guidelines if and when a paladin can get mount more powerful than a Heavy Warhorse/Warpony and how such a mount is advanced in the DMG on p. 204 f.

About the Hellbred, you do not need to get 14 as a HD you need 14 hit dice of any type and to get another devil touched feat (the first one you get once you have four hit dice). The usual way for player characters to accumulate HD is to take class levels. So 14 levels in any combination of classes will give you 14 HD.

ah sorry I meant alternate classes like Mystic fire knight, sorry for the confusion and thank you for answering..

Andezzar
2015-03-06, 04:55 AM
Ah substitution levels. They substitute the specified level with their own features, nothing more nothing less. The character is still a single classed paladin.