PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Druid help with 1st time pathfinder player

AmbientRaven
2015-03-06, 08:11 AM
Hey folks,

I've played a bit of 5e and some 3.5 (a long long time ago), but never pathfinder, so thought I would ask for some help!

I'm after some advice on building my Undine Druid for a Storm and Shackles campaign, where I start at 4th level. Not after number crunched perfect power build, but more some general advise so I don't completely botch it.

The party has an Oracle, Bard, Gunslinger & Rogue.
The druid will most likely be a flexible fill any role build (so some fighting and casting); I know this isn't optimal, but from what I know of the party being flexible in my role will be very beneficial. or would I be best focusing on just one role?

I am Torn between standard druid, Undine Adept or Aquatic Druid. All three options seem to have ups and downs (Aquatic gets shape change 2 levels later, which means no animal form casting until 10th ish level. The Undine Disciple gets it 2 later as well, and its 2 levels behind core and aquatic)

For stats I am looking at 12; 14; 14; 10; 17; 7
7 cha fits in with my characters hate for humanoids. I have been thinking of dropping 1 point from wis and putting 2 into int or 1 into str.

Also I would love an animal companion, but not sure if taking a domain would be more beneficial.
If I did take an animal companion, I am not sure which to take. Was considering possibly a Roc (or some type of bird, call it a Sea Eagle so it fits in with character).
If I go domain, again, I am unsure

Forms:
I can start knowing 3 ocean based forms and 2 land (air as well, I presume) forms. What works?
I have read treantmonks guide on druids, but this campaign will feature some ocean based stuff, so the forms shown aren't as fantastic.

Also I have 1250 gold to start with. I am not allowed to purchase unique magic items.
I planned to buy the following, but am unsure how to spend the rest of the gold (maybe a wand of healing?)
5x Shortspear (5gp)
1x Sickle (6gp)
1x Quarterstaff (0)
1x Sling (0)
30x bullets (3sp)
Hide Armour (15gp)
heavy Wooden Shield (7gp)

backpack (2gp)
bedroll (1sp)
mirror (10gp)
2 pouch belt (1gp total)
2 waterskin (2gp)
10 travel rations (50sp)

Thanks for your time,
Nikki

Spore
2015-03-06, 11:24 AM
I am thinking a Storm Druid "blaster". You have one really good roll and the rest are average at best.

Str 10
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 19
Cha 7

Stormdruid: Domains Weather (and later on Air). Your favorite wildshape is a small bird (that ignores certain wind strengths) or later on an air elemental. This concept is oozing with flavor if you RP your undine's connection to the water (her elemental heritage) and her love for the surface winds.

You still have very decent skills and you can go into melee shifted if you pick Weapon Finesse (more or less as distraction than deal actual damage).

AmbientRaven
2015-03-07, 04:36 AM
Sorry, it is 15 point buy, and that was how I was thinking of spending the points

I considered Storm Druid, but, I've never played an animal companion class and was unsure iuif losing the companion is worth a domain where I already have most of the spells

Spore
2015-03-07, 05:32 AM
I have just found out that a good portion of the adventure will take place under water where arguably most wind powers and spells won't work. Other than that, I saw that there are portions above water as well. So I'd suggest Undine Adept or standard druid (Aquatic Druid gains amphibious trait too late for my taste) with an amphibious animal companion:

As for the animal companion, Flyers (Seabirds, etc) or semi-aquatic animals (snapping turtle/aligator/otter, etc.) are good areas to find a companion.

Source: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pokj?Aquatic-or-Storm-druid

AmbientRaven
2015-03-09, 05:19 AM
Thanks!

An otter might fit in well with the characters back ground.

I didn't realise S&S would have a lot of under water, thought it was primarily ships/islands.
Lucky I am an undine, so can get aquatic/amphibious from racials

Spore
2015-03-09, 03:49 PM
I suppose the module has some way to give all players relative freedom in those sections. Otherwise you couldn't really play your heavily armored typical dwarf in there.

An otter might fit in well with the characters back ground.

You do realize an otter is a familiar not an animal companion?

Milo v3
2015-03-09, 07:15 PM
You do realize an otter is a familiar not an animal companion?

Otter was in the quote you posted about animal companions.

Spore
2015-03-09, 11:52 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. Was quite tired yesterday.

Now, I am imagining a Dire Otter...
http://asset-d.soup.io/asset/0157/4962_df50.jpeg