PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How Does A Crawling Hand Strangle?

Palanan
2015-03-06, 02:34 PM
The crawling hand, from Bestiary 2, has a damage of 1d1+1, which I assume means it always does 2 points of damage for an attack. It also has the strangle ability, presumably while gripping someone's throat.

But what happens once the hand has latched on? Does it deal a guaranteed 2 points of damage every round until it's removed? Does it need to make a new attack roll every round, even while "strangling" its target? It's not listed as having the constrict ability, so I'm a little confused how grab and strangle would work here.

Barstro
2015-03-06, 02:54 PM
Strangle (Ex) An opponent grappled by the creature cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

You can ignore the ability "Strangle", as it is just an added effect when the status "grappled" is met.

So, let's look at "Grapple". Especially look at the flowcharts (#2, specifically)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Grapple

As the initiator of the grapple, the Hand may, among other things, "Maintain the Grapple and perform another action" (CMB+5 vs CMD) to "Inflict damage from a natural attack".

I take it that the grapple gets maintained and there is the possibility of inflicting more damage.

Yanisa
2015-03-06, 02:59 PM
The answer is hidden in the grab rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Grab-Ex-): (Added Bold and Italic for emphasis.)

If a creature with this special attack hits with the indicated attack (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. Unless otherwise noted, grab can only be used against targets of a size equal to or smaller than the creature with this ability. If the creature can use grab on creatures of other sizes, it is noted in the creature's Special Attacks line. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on its CMB check to make and maintain the grapple, but does not gain the grappled condition itself. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text).

Creatures with the grab special attack receive a +4 bonus on combat maneuver checks made to start and maintain a grapple.

Format: grab; Location: individual attacks and special attacks.

So the Crawling Hand attacks. If the attack hits he gets a free grapple. If that grapple success he is grappling. Then each time it makes a successful grapple check as part of that grapple, it deals damage as if it attacked with the "weapon" that had the grab special ability. In this case that is his claw attack which deals 2 damage. (In short: "each successful grapple check it makes deals 2 damage")

Also as long as it is grappling, strangle kicks in too, as an added bonus, so the grabbed person cannot cast spells with a verbal component.

Edit:

So, let's look at "Grapple". Especially look at the flowcharts (#2, specifically)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Grapple

As the initiator of the grapple, the Hand may, among other things, "Maintain the Grapple and perform another action" (CMB+5 vs CMD) to "Inflict damage from a natural attack".

I take it that the grapple gets maintained and there is the possibility of inflicting more damage.

It sounds really weird to natural attack with the limb that is starting and maintaining the grapple, isn't there a rule against it? :smallconfused: I cannot think of any from the top of my head, though.
Bonus points because the creature is the limb! :smalltongue:

Sayt
2015-03-06, 07:05 PM
It sounds really weird to natural attack with the limb that is starting and maintaining the grapple, isn't there a rule against it? :smallconfused: I cannot think of any from the top of my head, though.
Bonus points because the creature is the limb! :smalltongue:

I always figured that what's happening is that the force exerting the grappled condition is also doing damage. Grappling with a creatures tentacle? That tentacle is exerting crushing/bludgeoning force as it maintains the grapple. Talon-grapples? Forcing the talons in deeper.

And yeah, you can't make more than one natural attack with a limb. But you're not making an attack, you're making a CMB check and then rolling damage.