PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Run!

Maglubiyet
2015-03-06, 04:50 PM
Posting this here to gauge interest. I did something like this years ago and it was a lot of fun, but that was pre-3.x and the optimization frenzy. Not sure players these days would be up for playing characters like this.

You are a goblin slave, marching through the wilds of the underdark. Your drow masters are taking you and your fellow goblins to sell at Fortress Blacksteel. The breeders of House Tz'myrra have a standing contract to supply the duergar there with creatures for their fighting pits.

BUT SUDDENLY...!

The caravan is under attack! Shouts and explosions, the clanking of steel on steel, the crackling of magic, screams! And wait, what's that? Your overseer has fallen, his whip still clutched in his dead hand. The fighting is moving away from you now, none of the accursed dark elves are in sight. And there's a small side tunnel. RIGHT. THERE!

Freedom is but a few steps away. Your companions are cowering around you thinking the same thing...escape! Will you stay and die a slave? Or take your chances in the trackless expanses of the underdark...?

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w478/Kanklefest/Goblin_Run_1_zpswju2vf6x.jpg

Synopsis: GOBLIN RUN! is a low-level D&D 3.5 campaign where the PC's are goblins trying to survive in the underdark. Luck, stealth, and cunning are the goblins' best bet…they have little else going for them.

Character Options: Since survival chances are low, each player rolls three 2nd-level goblin characters (two "regular" goblins, and the third may be taken from the following: goblin, air goblin, arctic goblin, bhuka, forestkith, jungle goblin, psionic blue, snow goblin). Any class, feat, template to ECL 2 -- WotC sourcebooks only. 3d6 per stat, re-roll any stat but must keep re-roll. No starting equipment, mounts, or animal companions (classes with animal companion may take substitute feat). Languages: Goblin, Undercommon, Drow, and Dwarf (others possible). All characters are illiterate unless 1 point Knowledge (Literacy) skill taken.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w478/Kanklefest/Goblin_Run_3_zpsz3g350i7.jpg

Can you overcome the odds and survive and possibly, just possibly, even carve a place for you and your kin in the endless deadly caverns?

Comments, critiques, questions welcome.

YossarianLives
2015-03-06, 09:35 PM
I would love to play in this campaign! It sounds wonderful.

The only problem I noticed is that the players of the normal goblins may be upset at having inferior characters.

Sullivan
2015-03-07, 12:12 AM
That sound really fun.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-07, 04:59 AM
The only problem I noticed is that the players of the normal goblins may be upset at having inferior characters.

Each player gets three goblin characters.

johnbragg
2015-03-07, 07:53 AM
Definitely sounds like fun.

Years ago, I picked up a Reverse Dungeon 1st edition module, where the players play the monsters, and in the first phase, they play goblins. I updated (mostly) to 3E, and let each player choose one feat or class feature to add to each goblin. Tons of fun--the goblin with barbarian rage ended up the chieftain of a new goblin colony after they wiped out the NPC adventuring party that came goblin-hunting.

Then again, I like high-lethality setups, especially high-lethality high-humor setups.

ReturnOfTheKing
2015-03-09, 09:08 PM
Love the idea! However, I can't see what's preventing players from playing members of races also associated with Drow slavery (basically, all the Underdark races they can actually overpower), and I think that'd be a better way to run the campaign.

Also, I'd love to see some adventures for this campaign, maybe going up to level 3 or 4. For a first adventure, maybe they have to evade the slavers and whatever attacked their caravan? It'd also be fun to have something involving Mind Flayers, and perhaps they could run into some revolutionaries who want to organize a larger slave revolt and have to decide whether or not to join them, hence leading into a larger story arc. The possibilities are endless. Personally, I'd look to the works of Lovecraft for inspiration, as I'm seeing a similar tone in this campaign as in his Cthulhu Mythos stories.

Slayerofundead
2015-03-09, 10:48 PM
Sounds awesome. Do you plan to run the game in the forum?

Maglubiyet
2015-03-10, 01:23 PM
Love the idea! However, I can't see what's preventing players from playing members of races also associated with Drow slavery (basically, all the Underdark races they can actually overpower), and I think that'd be a better way to run the campaign.

Yeah, I've toyed with that idea, but there are several reasons I wouldn't want it for this particular campaign. Here are a few:

this is an Underdark campaign so races without darkvision will be at a severe handicap
limiting LA's - most of the subterranean races enslaved by the drow are +2 LA and above
Small size - provides access to more areas and adds to the overall flavor of being underdogs
party homogeneity - same race, similar goals

Also, I'd love to see some adventures for this campaign, maybe going up to level 3 or 4. For a first adventure, maybe they have to evade the slavers and whatever attacked their caravan? It'd also be fun to have something involving Mind Flayers, and perhaps they could run into some revolutionaries who want to organize a larger slave revolt and have to decide whether or not to join them, hence leading into a larger story arc. The possibilities are endless.
I agree -- lots of potential.

Personally, I'd look to the works of Lovecraft for inspiration, as I'm seeing a similar tone in this campaign as in his Cthulhu Mythos stories.
You kind of lost me here.

Sounds awesome. Do you plan to run the game in the forum?
I was thinking of it, depending on response, but it hasn't seemed to garner many followers.

Maybe Home-Brew/World-Building isn't the right section for something like this....or maybe it's just not an idea with very wide appeal.

Benthesquid
2015-03-10, 08:33 PM
I was thinking of it, depending on response, but it hasn't seemed to garner many followers.

Maybe Home-Brew/World-Building isn't the right section for something like this....or maybe it's just not an idea with very wide appeal.

Not to be a smart-aleck, but if you're looking for players, you could try the Finding Players sub-forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment)).

ReturnOfTheKing
2015-03-11, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I've toyed with that idea, but there are several reasons I wouldn't want it for this particular campaign. Here are a few:

this is an Underdark campaign so races without darkvision will be at a severe handicap
limiting LA's - most of the subterranean races enslaved by the drow are +2 LA and above
Small size - provides access to more areas and adds to the overall flavor of being underdogs
party homogeneity - same race, similar goals

Not to dump on 3rd Edition or anything, but a lot of these problems could be solved by running the campaign in 5e. In 5th Edition, literally all but 3 of the races so far created have Darkvision, and unless I'm mistaken, LA isn't a thing. The Small stuff and homogeneity, of course, would still be problematic, but maybe having the party made up of members of multiple races would cause tension and thus create some story potential? Of course, 5e doesn't have a Goblin race (goddangit, Wotc, make Orcs and Goblinoids core already! Nobody wants to be a Half-Orc!), but I guess that's why we have a Homebrew Design forum :smallcool:

Of course, if you don't want to make it 5e, that's obviously absolutely fine. Besides, Goblin Run is an awesome title!

You kind of lost me here.

Think about it - the whole point of the Cthulhu Mythos is having puny, insignificant humans square off against ultra-powerful eldritch abominations, and, if they're very lucky, survive and live the rest of their days in an asylum. Well, Drow slaves wandering the Underdark would face very similar trials. Of course, I'd expect it to be played more for laughs. Perhaps Dwarf Fortress would be a better analogy?